No announcement yet.

dharma, doctrine and interpretation....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

True, good intentions don't always beget good results..but it's important to have those good intentions in the first place. Anyone who begins to see that they can live their life in a better way, and can do so by helping others and learning to love others, is on the right path, whatever they call it. As long as they don't look down their noses at the 'nonbelievers' This 'you're not one of us, so you're going to burn in hell' crap is really annoying.

Comment

i suppose my point is that, being a nonbeliever, someone telling me in a roundabout way that i am really a part of their religion is equally condescending.

Comment

yah, but when all they are believing is that anyone who has any quantity of genuine fibre about them ( like your self for example in your atheisism) is okay and real enough in their own book, I think that's more a compliment.

Buddhism is about self discovery and rising above yourself, and is the only religion to not have a formal " god" per say , so much as an ideal to aspire to. Everyone has a mentor, and buddha is ours, like to the christian Jesus is theirs. And to you, your best self ( whereever that fits in ) is yours.

kinda plainish really......

BL

Comment

hmmm. And here I thought buddhism was simply about a cessation to the suffering of samsara. Ideals schmeals.

Fa Hui, you do make buddhism sound sexy, and that's a wonderful thing.

BL, if you see the buddha, kill him. And blame it on me. Then drink a fifth of whiskey, climb a tree and meditate in it for one day, and write your phd paper on the difference (or lack thereof) between the chattering of birds and the chattering of the author's mind.
          Show me a man who has forgotten words, so that I can have a word with him.

Comment

Originally posted by zachsan
            i suppose my point is that, being a nonbeliever, someone telling me in a roundabout way that i am really a part of their religion is equally condescending.
            But you really are a part of Christianity...
            you're in the category of "hopeless sinners" along with most of the rest of us

Comment

Being raised a Unitarian, I belong to the category of "lost sheep". We get to go to a nicer part of purgatory than you hopeless sinners.

Comment

Originally posted by Swordless
                you're in the category of "hopeless sinners" along with most of the rest of us
                that's probably a more accurate description of myself than "traveler on the path to enlightenment" anyway.

Comment

BL, youve got some mixed views on religion, are you a student or something? because that would make sense, heheheheh

christ wasnt to christianity what the buddha is to buddhism, they werent the same, for example, the buddha was born a man and he became a buddha

christ was god before and after his life as a man, he never was a man according to what is written

imho, buddhism is great, i love it, but, the fact of the matter is, it really didnt teach anything new, that hadnt already been taught, world wide atleast im not so sure about asia altogether although i suspect daoism might have well predated alot of the basic teachings found in buddhism

anyhow, doc has to stop comparing chinese monks to thai!! those thai have dirty feet! what do they know about buddhism

in the end, all the schools, all the sects all the monasterys, are just there because peoples needs vary, atleast, they think they do, regardless your understanding of buddhism is and isnt always going to be personal, because when you reach a certain level of understanding, it doesnt make much difference because your at peace, and those around you can tell just by observing you in your 'buddha nature'
                  "did you ask me to consider dick with you??" blooming tianshi lotus

Comment

Maestro

aren't we all students of some humanitarian aspect til we die??!!! Buddhism didn't teach anything new, to your av seeker , but it DID give somewhere for their thoughts on the matter to rest a mo.

amitopho

Comment

BL, I know you live in china, but please type in english.

Comment

Originally posted by Maestro
                        BL, youve got some mixed views on religion, are you a student or something? because that would make sense, heheheheh

christ wasnt to christianity what the buddha is to buddhism, they werent the same, for example, the buddha was born a man and he became a buddha

christ was god before and after his life as a man, he never was a man according to what is written

imho, buddhism is great, i love it, but, the fact of the matter is, it really didnt teach anything new, that hadnt already been taught, world wide atleast im not so sure about asia altogether although i suspect daoism might have well predated alot of the basic teachings found in buddhism

anyhow, doc has to stop comparing chinese monks to thai!! those thai have dirty feet! what do they know about buddhism

in the end, all the schools, all the sects all the monasterys, are just there because peoples needs vary, atleast, they think they do, regardless your understanding of buddhism is and isnt always going to be personal, because when you reach a certain level of understanding, it doesnt make much difference because your at peace, and those around you can tell just by observing you in your 'buddha nature'
                        yah, actually , studying for a phd in ch'an . :P

christ wasn't akin to buddha, but if you understand the buddha nature, you see that he ( jesus) was a good example, regardless of how ppl have interperated and typed classed his actions to become a " deital relgion" since . Fact is, there was a man of this name way back when and he was a human acting with traits you might
                        recognise in a buddha nature .

A buddhist is a buddhist really and theravada/ mahayana or whatever region your buddhism is refined and relabelled in, we all share common foundations to a degree . And, considering post and during the wars and cr events and spilts in its practioners locations coupled with evolving environmental infulences and adaptations , ( as you will read about in my forthcomming book and dissertation) , it is all legit and has right of name and right of practice. as it hapens though, i think they're going to practice regardless of whether you think they are not.

Comment

a phd in chan eh..wow i didnt know such a thing existed, thats a little gay i think

anyhow, i dont know what your talking about, you confused me

Comment

a phd in chan eh..wow i didnt know such a thing existed, thats a little gay i think
                            Thank you Maestro. I don't know why but for some reason that gave me a good laugh.
                            Reminds me of my friend that majored in Medieval Germanic Literature.

Comment

The teachings found in Buddhism are simply facts as experienced by the Buddha. It was realized not created as a new idea. Besides that, there have been Buddhas before Shakyamuni and will be after as well. So, of course it has been taught before. And sooner or later, Buddhism may die out and a new person will arrise who will realize the same truths and will become a Buddha and the teachings will go on, just as what happened with the historicl Buddha. The Buddha taught that as long as there are people living with stress, there will be people to go beyond it and find the path to liberation. There will always be Buddhas to arrise, or Arhats who have followed the teachings of a Buddha and reached the same goal and liberation. Nothing is new or created. Truth has always been there and simply needs to be realized.

Comment

i agree xing, thank you for elaborateing my point

Comment

Working...
                                X