Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: dharma, doctrine and interpretation....

well, i'm an atheist, so would that make me an exception? or is that just a way of seeking spiritual betterment in a secular way? and if everyone who ever had a desire to grow spiritually is on the same path, what was the buddha's big accomplishment?

Blog Entries
    Belief in a God or not does not depend on whether you progress spiritually. What good will believe in a God(s) do for you? It sounds so primitive. You have to have faith in yourself to practice, that's the only way you're gonna get anywhere. A meditation practitioner is a problem solver, they are there to deal with the very real issues of their lives.

Say two people approach a river and want to cross, what should they do? One decides to kneel and pray, bowing, lighting incense, reading the "Good Book." While the other one goes around and starts looking for wood and such to build a raft.

True spirituality is about being able to live life in a very real way, whether you believe in a God or not. You have to get in there and get it yourself, no one's going to do it for you.

I guess I'm going to fall into the second category, because I do believe that all gods are one God and that anyone who practices any belief at all earnestly is walking a path toward to the buddha nature.

Sutra or no sutra / doctirine or no, anyone who is genuinely sincere in their persuit of spiritual betterment , are all walking the same way......... regardless of the path you take to get there.
    I used to think like that too. But there are a lot of religions and spiritual traditions that no matter what they do, if they follow their traditions they'll still never get it. No matter how sincere they are. I was once told and then a few personal lessons reiterated it; that good intentions don't always beget good results. This is important because many will try but few will succeed just like in anything else. If you don't have the wisdom or understanding and a mind for adventure and discovery, then you're going to keep seeing that same tree as if you were going in circles.

I think I may have said too much.

Peace.
    "For some reason I'm in a good mood today. I haven't left the house yet, though. "

"fa hui, you make buddhism sexy." -Zachsan

"Friends don't let friends do Taekwondo." -Nancy Reagan

Originally posted by Fa Hui
    Say two people approach a river and want to cross, what should they do? One decides to kneel and pray, bowing, lighting incense, reading the "Good Book." While the other one goes around and starts looking for wood and such to build a raft.
    fa hui, you make buddhism sexy.

Blog Entries
    hahaha

I'm wondering if that's a good thing....
    "For some reason I'm in a good mood today. I haven't left the house yet, though. "

"fa hui, you make buddhism sexy." -Zachsan

"Friends don't let friends do Taekwondo." -Nancy Reagan

695 posts and finally i make it into someone's profile. cheers!

True, good intentions don't always beget good results..but it's important to have those good intentions in the first place. Anyone who begins to see that they can live their life in a better way, and can do so by helping others and learning to love others, is on the right path, whatever they call it. As long as they don't look down their noses at the 'nonbelievers' This 'you're not one of us, so you're going to burn in hell' crap is really annoying.

i suppose my point is that, being a nonbeliever, someone telling me in a roundabout way that i am really a part of their religion is equally condescending.

yah, but when all they are believing is that anyone who has any quantity of genuine fibre about them ( like your self for example in your atheisism) is okay and real enough in their own book, I think that's more a compliment.

Buddhism is about self discovery and rising above yourself, and is the only religion to not have a formal " god" per say , so much as an ideal to aspire to. Everyone has a mentor, and buddha is ours, like to the christian Jesus is theirs. And to you, your best self ( whereever that fits in ) is yours.

kinda plainish really......

BL

hmmm. And here I thought buddhism was simply about a cessation to the suffering of samsara. Ideals schmeals.

Fa Hui, you do make buddhism sound sexy, and that's a wonderful thing.

BL, if you see the buddha, kill him. And blame it on me. Then drink a fifth of whiskey, climb a tree and meditate in it for one day, and write your phd paper on the difference (or lack thereof) between the chattering of birds and the chattering of the author's mind.
    Show me a man who has forgotten words, so that I can have a word with him.

Smile

Originally posted by zachsan
    i suppose my point is that, being a nonbeliever, someone telling me in a roundabout way that i am really a part of their religion is equally condescending.
    But you really are a part of Christianity...
    you're in the category of "hopeless sinners" along with most of the rest of us

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast