full contact kickboxing fight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• full contact kickboxing fight

I am utterly intent on finding out other peoples training methods I know what I do to compete for full contact but I truly believe in swaping ideas, so that brings me to the question what kind of stuff do you do to prepare for full contact fighting.

1.work with top people form diffrent styles train with boxers for hands, tai kwon do for legs , shoalin for hips what ever the case may be ?

2.have special healthy diet prior to fight or just eat normal ?

3. work more pad work . heavy bag. flexiblity ?

let the masses speak
    thanks guys

Eat well always. Don't eat too much before a fight, but not so little that you're hungry. After a fight, eat whatever you want.

What kind of full contact are you doing? Are we talking about bareknuckle sparring with a cup and a mouthguard and thats it? Or san shou style protective gear? Or just headgear and gloves? The gear you're wearing determines how you need to train.

Do lots of freeform grappling with jujitsu exponents. That never hurts, unless they don't listen when you tap out.......

Do taijiquan underwater.

More later, now must eat breakfast and practice smoking-bowl-gong.
    Show me a man who has forgotten words, so that I can have a word with him.

Comment

thanks for the interest

1.feet
      2.hand
      3.mouth
      4.shin pad

3 rounds of 2 minutes

no throws or groundwork

Comment

Ok. If that's the case I'd recommend LOTS of sparring practice. As much as you can handle. Also, having a skilled sparring partner means you have a buddy to watch your form when you do bag work. This can help alot, as they can help you correct your form for kicks.

Nothing can really substitute for sparring with a live opponent.

Comment

Originally posted by daodejing

Nothing can really substitute for sparring with a live opponent.
          Which is why I weep here in nowheresville. The best case would be my friend who is also my neighbor to come over and spar. However, his family/religion denies any and all types of martial anything. My pridicament sucks.
          Becoming what I've dreamed about.

Comment

You know, every religion that denounces physical violence has it's own set of martial arts and it's own excuses for killing people.

But seriously, we all need to be doing more sparring. Especially me. Christ, my weapons sparring partner is 8 years old. The scary thing is we're up to full speed with wooden swords, and he's getting pretty damn good. Now if I could only get him to sidestep and counter.........

Comment

me good ol' quaker ancestors didn't have no martials.

Comment

Have him take fencing lessons.

Personally, you might want to watch the type of sparring you plan on doing if possible. Also, what type of people are you going to be fighting? It might be good to know what tactics they use and how to counter.

Focus on a few techniques and get really good at them. There was a good article of this in november 2004 Inside Kung Fu. For example, foxers believe in happy legs, keeps the legs moving to avoid thinking about things outside your control. Mau thai fighters have a ritualized entrance into the ring.

Sparring with wooden swords? Sweet.... I'll have to come see you some time. The Kubato class I'm in does sparring with other staffs, sai's, sticks, etc.
                "If you want pure self-defense buy a can of mace." Grandmaster Villari (I think that is it).

Comment

"Sparring with wooden swords? Sweet.... I'll have to come see you some time. "

IMHO, its the only way to get good at taiji sword, or any martial arts fencing...
                  But yeah, sparring with wooden broadswords and wooden straightswords is a blast. It's a bit less dangerous than sparring with boken's and no pads (the way you fight with boken's you're alot more likely to break your partner's ribs if you hit him than with a wooden taiji jian). Most of the cuts we make on each other are to the hands, and about 20% are to the torso. We don't aim at the head/neck out of courtesy.

But yeah, try it out. Work you're way up with your partner until you can safely do full speed.

Comment

good question and good thread. I hear in mma comp circuits alot of folks are using muay thai and bjj combos, but I think I'd rather go in with some gongfu. What's everyone doing for their shuai chiao component??

BL

Comment

Western Wrestling,

daodejing, the thing is finding someone with the maturity to spar with a wooden weapon. Most of the "training weapons," I have are metal and wood. For example my bo staff, well that could hurt someone. Sai's for instance are metal, so they are hard to spar with. I sometimes do sparring with foam sticks. Although I've seen foam padded bo staffs, and there are other stuff to practice with.

But sparring with a tai chi sword sounds cool. I read an article on it in Inside Kung Fu on sticky sword.
                      "If you want pure self-defense buy a can of mace." Grandmaster Villari (I think that is it).

Comment

full contact

I suppose the problem is two fold, on the plus side well doing full contact anything fighting, weapons , push hands etc you learn real quick not to make mistakes but at the same time you increase the risk of injury, it is a question of wether it is worth while to fight in...

Ben Wallace

Comment

I have never sparred with weapons, evah.

And as for my friend, I am teaching him forms now, but he knows no applications. And well, when you bring up the fact that all religions are against violence and wahtnot, I would tell you that it is probably his parents that are using the religion as the kicker. Like...once, I taught him arm banging drills and stuff, and then he later told me his dad got pissed or whatever.

Eh, I guess that is good, I get to learn the form more thuroughly by teaching him what I know.

But I do need a sparring partner. And an applications partner. Practicing arm blocks on a pole gets so old...
                          Becoming what I've dreamed about.

Comment

Originally posted by tai chi
                            I am utterly intent on finding out other peoples training methods I know what I do to compete for full contact but I truly believe in swaping ideas, so that brings me to the question what kind of stuff do you do to prepare for full contact fighting.
                            What kind of competition are you doing?

I don't compete full contact and never have. But I've got a few friends who do/have and I've adopted some of their training methods.

1.work with top people form diffrent styles train with boxers for hands, tai kwon do for legs , shoalin for hips what ever the case may be ?
                            This is great but, you gotta do training where you combine all this stuff. Your goal should be to use all these skills at the same time together and be able to transition between stuff smoothly.

2.have special healthy diet prior to fight or just eat normal ?
                            AFAIK, eat a healthy diet. Eat lots of it when you are training. Don't do crazy stuff to cut weight.

3. work more pad work . heavy bag. flexiblity ?
                            Yes. Yes. Yes.

Sparring is a MUST. From what the boxers tell me, at least once a month you gotta go a few rounds with someone who is coming at you full blast. Preferably, someone from a completely different gym.

The rest of the time, go less than full blast and work on speed, relaxation, etc etc.

Mark
                            Karate/Jujutsu at Akron Shaw JCC

Comment

thank you everyone for your replies

my pre fight training did involve sparring full blast but it was to close to the fight to make a diffrence , its funny because I spent 5 days a week in the gym doing cardio and I still wasnt prepared for it , you wouldnt think 2 rounds of 2 minutes would be a lot but when someone is trying to knock you out every second counts. thanks again for the replies any other training methods/conditioning excersises would be much appreciated.

Ben Wallace

Comment

Working...
                              X