No announcement yet.

Tong Bei Quan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After you get the understanding of basics and forms then you should be sparring all the time, to put that to use. That's what those moves are for. If you don't apply them in sparring then you never really understand the move or the form at all.

I hate the way Zhang Li Peng does his forms. I saw the video from his website. He makes all the traditional forms like Da Luo Han Quan look ugly, and Tong Bei Quan as well. All of them. And he is way to slow at it. Can't jump. I don't like it. Then he was doing his "bag arts", acting like he's in a Gong Fu movie. He can hold a vertical sidekick but when he kicked the bag in that video his sidekicked totally sucked...... I think the pictures of him make him look better than he really is.

Comment

holy ****, i think thats the first negative thing i've ever heard about ZLP. So, he's human after all...

As far as the TBQ thing goes, i dont care what makes a form look good or ugly...what i care about is what concepts are in it, and especially if it is a traditional martial form, does it have practical fight applications. this dosent mean i'm going to train like a fanatic and learn to break people's nipples in half by sneezing next to them in the cold, but it does mean that i think that training fighting methods to some degree is an essential part of MA training.

anyway...regardless, i just wanted to know if anyone had those arm-sweep thingies in their version of TBQ like the ones in Shi De Shan's one. I personally can understand how they can be used and ive found some interesting stuff messing with the ideas, but i was just wondering if they were originally supposed to be there.

Comment

Break nipples in half? lol

I don't think it was in the original form. If it was, we would see it more often. But it shouldn't matter, if it has application to it then it's useful. Use it. That's just something extra to get combat ideas from. So it's no problem, as you have already found out.

As far as, ZLP.. I don't know much about him. Maybe he can fight. I hope he can, because I didn't like his forms. He does the moves all weird and looks really bad. It's in the video on his website what I saw. Besides the forms looking all weird, he was really slow and had no hops at all. Then his sidekick on that bag blew, like he kicked out and then his leg got shot and fell straight down. It was ugly.... I hope he's a better fighter than his forms. But forms should train you and give you the attributes of speed, hops, knowing how to move your body. I hear he doesn't teach sparring much or at all.

Sparring is what it's all about, putting the form to use. It's like a surfer practices on the beach laying down and popping up on the board. They practice that over and over. But why would they practice that over and over and never put it to use in the water? Seems silly to me. Once you have the basics down and understand the movements in the form, what's left is to spar and use it. That's the only way to fully understand your form. It's the last step and what it's all about anyway. Why leave it out?

Comment

Yan Ming does, largely, from what I hear- but that dosent mean that his class is useless. From what I saw, he teaches you Kung Fu as a way of learning to express and develop yourself. I kind of like that approach. I dont agree with it 100%, but i like it.

As for ZLP, i've heard the opposite of his fighting skills, i hear he's very good. but hey, i've never met the guy.

Oh, and about the nipple-breaking, the reason you dont see it is because it has to be really cold for the nipple to actually break---keep working, you'll get there.

Wo Hai Zai Xue Zhe-Ge Gong Fa....Deng Hao le, Wo Jiao Ni... (grammar?? still working on that)

Comment

Yes, you must teach me your terrible nipple breaking Gong Fu once completed. lol, Winter is coming soon. Perfect time to test it out.

I've spoken to a few of SYM's disciples, they say the beginners class is all about foundation with stances and basic and drills, stretching, and strength training. The senior students still come to those classes to keep those basic skills sharp and to help out the rest of the class, and kind of show an example.

Later there are more advanced level classes where they focus a lot on sparring and combat ideas, which is never in the form of a drill. SYM teaches students to be able to move as they wish and not putting a set patern to it. Which is good. I don't know how much they get into full sparring there, but they spend time on freestyling combos and learning the correct form and technique of a kick and all that.

Whether in the beginning or advanced class he is always yelling for you to train harder and fully express yourself through it.

ZLP could be a great fighter as well. I too have never met the man. I'm just speaking from seeing him run those forms. Never seen him fight nor heard his philosophy on it.

Comment

Xing-jian,

Who do you train under? Are there any well known monks that you feel have great forms?

Comment

Yea, i participated in one of their clases once at SYM's place. He is, without a doubt, the most energetic person i have ever seen in my life. Despite the controversy about the guy, i found his class pretty interesting and my frickin legs hurt for a week and a half after doing class there.

Comment

China is my home. That's where I started training at 5 years old. Been through Shao Lin and trained with many people there and throughout my life. When I think of "who I train under" I think Shao Lin, all our ancestors, and Buddha. Shao Lin is my home, and my heart is my guide and greatest teacher. Even learning from many masters. Personally, I like the older generation monks. I'm not into the whole Wu Shu stuff and changing forms the way younger generation monks do. Real skill, to me, is like watching Shi De Cheng do his forms. He can still be badass doing a traditional form, which takes more skill than changing the form to make it fancier. That's what I like to see, and someone who can do nice forms but also have nice technique in their kicks. Too many times I see people with nice forms but their kicks just suck completely. It looks like even if they hit someone with it, that would just hurt themselves. It's that bad. And I don't like it when someone can do a nice form but can't kick worth crap and fights worse.

A mi tuo Fo
                  -Xing Jian

Comment

definately agreed.

Well, my home if a far cry from China, lol, but i do actually enjoy having the experience of chinese martial arts as an outsider. i think a lot of Chinese dont realize what they have, and thats why you see a lot of the morphing and augmentation of traditional stuff like old forms- but then thats true of all cultures. One of my teachers really said it well when he told me that a lot of westerners go to china looking for old traditional kung fu the same way that some people come from asia and want to know about cowboys and indians- very few Americans know much about it, really, much less care.

Comment

Haha, yeah that's true. If you've read Jackie Chan's book, "I am Jackie Chan: my life in action", he is shown as a boy with his parents and he is wearing his favorite cowboy costume with the hat, vest, and two six shooters or whatever. Funny. I live in USA now and to teach at my school, and my fiancee in SH likes me to talk with a cowboy accent and be extra polite, like "yes ma'am", "how do, little lady", "I reckon..", Haha. Those things I can do for her because it's kinda funny. But I can't wear those darn jeans. Too tight. Uncomfortable, especially for a matial artist.

Comment

Xing_jian,

Who is your current instructor?

Comment

I don't have a current instructor. I'm just teaching at my school, practice what I know to make it better.

Comment

What school is that? Is there a website for your school?

Comment

A school in Illinois. Unfortunately without a website as of now..

Comment

Where are you from in China? Why did you move to Illinois? Have you trained with any of the Shaolin Instructors in the United States?

Comment

Working...
                                X