No announcement yet.

Tong Bei Quan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shang Hai, But first you must understand something about me... My mother is not a Chinese. Just my father. I have brothers and sister, but they are only half because they half different fathers. My parents divorced when I was young. I like China and this side of my family. My mother's family is all living near to each other in Illinois. So, I moved here as well, I got together with an old Gong Fu brother of mine and we opened a school together. That's why I'm staying here. But as I said in the last post, I have a fiancee in Shang Hai still. So, I will go back sometime soon. It will just take a while to get her to USA. I want to keep my school here. I don't want to move because my students already asked me not to move away.

No, I haven't trained with any Shao Lin in USA. But I plan to visit them. I am friends with some of Shi Yan Ming's disciples out in NY. Right now, it's fine with me just to teach. "You learn most from teaching". I believe this sentence. I enjoy it and learn much more on my own now. I think there is a time when you can stop training with a master and go on your own to develope more and learn more from what is inside you. You may really surprise yourself with how much you can learn just on your own. But as the Chinese saying goes "Huo dao lao, xue dao lao". Means, live until old, learn until old. Shao Lin is endless, the mind is endless, so my learning is endless.

A mi tuo Fo
    -Xing Jian

Comment

So you learned shaolin forms in Shanghai. Are there shaolin monk teachers in Shanghai?

Comment

XJ- where's the vid of Li Peng...can you post a link?
        "Arhat, I am your father..."
        -the Dark Lord Cod

Comment

Arhat,

Go to americaneuropeanshaolin.com and you can download the video.

Comment

Yes, that's the site. It was a clip of I guess some videos he was selling teaching this forms and sand bag arts... The only thing I found impressive was holding the vertical sidekick. But that means nothing because his sidekick on the bag sucked.

Comment

Hmm, I just watched it again. It's been a while.

His techniques just look slow and weak. Each of the first things he was doing at the beginning of the video was extremely slow. He couldn't jump high doing the Jian or kicking in the form his doing when it says "by Shao Lin master, Zhang Li Peng", the double palm thrust for example, all the techniques was weak. And I hate the way he does his forms. Not traditional at all. He moves around all goofy like a fairy.

His side kick on the bag had poor technique. And the back kick in Da Luo Han Quan, he kicked with his toes!

Sheesh...
              Last edited by xing_jian108; 11-21-2004, 03:23 AM.

Comment

I say you two spar.

bare knuckles

Comment

I thinbk you might be inderstanding his movements. He Lipeng doesn't follow the popular style and movement of shaolin today. He learned from his father who is an older generation shaolin disciple. Lipeng movement is about flow and continuing foward, not stop start stop start. Lipeng jumps crazy high! That clip does not represent his highest jump. Lipng was in in the old 1984 shaolin documentary doing Ditang. His jumps are sick! Also in the Kung fu Qigong Anniversary Gala Master Demo he did a combination of Seven Star Fist and Ditang and his jump were awesome. Buy jumping crazy high is a wushu idea. It's more important in traditional training to jump fast and land fast, not on one foot but both feet at the same time so that can quickly move on to your next movement. Also remember that Lipeng is a serious taiji teacher. He apply taiji principles to his movements. His punches are never with a straight arm, his stances are higher, his kicks are devestating up close. I've been kicked by him while holding the bag many times and I would go flying into the wall behind me. That holding sidekick up in the air is stuff he does to impress Americans.

Comment

What are you talking about not starting and stopping? He was doing that throughout his whole form. And it was goofy. That wasn't the traditional way to do those forms and it was too goofy to be like Wu Shu. And the technique in the forms were weak.

And there's no denying he kicked with his toes in the back kick in Da Luo Han Quan, which is something beginners mistake on. That's really bad!

Comment

you misunderstand the kick. the kick starts with the heel and ends with a push of the toe. shaolin fighting kicks are done this way. As for the forms he does have stopping points but he doesn't start and stop after every movement.

Comment

He didn't kick with his heel at all. He just pushed his toes straight back like a beginner would mess it up.

He does traditional forms but not in the traditional way at all. It's changed so much that the form becomes goofy and useless, worse than modern Wu Shu. Wu Shu still does the movements correctly just with an added fanciness to them. ZLP's forms put him in goofy positions so much that it almost loses any application, and it's extremely sloooooow.

Comment

Other than the really new chang chuan forms, wushu done in a cha chuanish way is not very far off (Gene and GLW have been talking about this over on kfm) from each other. Someone over there was saying that hong chuan is very closely related to cha as well. Some could bring to the table that this could be a reason that these forms could look wushuish.
                          practice wu de

Comment

I honestly have to say that video is complete crap.I watched that over and over and he does seem slow and sloppy in it.I am presently taking his class and he shows us the forms,doesnt look the same as the video at all .He's hella fast and jumps pretty damn high.Guess videos can be deceiving to the human eye huh.

Comment

Yes, just so you all remember, I don't know him. I've only seen his pictures and his stances are good and he looks skillful. He's in magazines a lot so I thought maybe he was good. But then I found that video of him. That's the first time I've seen him moving. Maybe he really is fast and high jumping and powerful. But the video showed the opposite. And I hope his kicks don't suck like that all the time. Back kicking with just your toes is no good and the side kick should be chambered and rechambered rather than dropped uncontrolled.

I feel sorry for anyone who wasted almost 40 dollars on those videos. I would demand a refund.

Comment

Okay you are right. The tapes suck. I got them all from the guys who made them. He is much better in person. The videos were made very poorly. He doesn't train really at all.

xing_jian,

Do you think Deyang's movement is good?

Comment

Working...
                                X