Contulting the I Qing- Chinese philosophy gets into Israeli pop-culture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Contulting the I Qing- Chinese philosophy gets into Israeli pop-culture

התעדכנו ב- MSN Israel | מבזקי חדשות בישראל ובעולם, חדשות הסלבס, וכל מה שחם | בורסה, אוכל, ספורט, כושר, מחשבים, בית, וסרטונים ויראליים | צרו קשר עם חברים ומשפחה דרך פייסבוק, סקייפ, אאוטלוק וטוויטר | כל מה שאתם צריכים במקום אחד

I thought this was kind of cool, so i will translate...as well as i can-

"One Billion Chinese Can't Be Wrong: an Ancient Method of Predictions"

The book of Change helps make decisions and solve problems, so believe the chinese. It is called the I Qing (Xing maybe you can help me out... is it Qing or Jing?)

For thousands of years, the book has answered the questions of chinese mystics.

One of the things i found interesting was the definition they gave for I Qing, I translated (as best i can put in english) as "Change". they used another word as a possibility but i cant quite explain it in English.

the word Qing is defined as "rules", which i thought was a bit weird cuz i always thought it meant something more along the lines of "classic".

Anyway, goes on to say its at least 4,000 years old and that the source of it is not exactly known today, but that some believe it was given to man by a higher power, the same as is believed about the Old Testament.

Included in the article is a 6-step "how-to" for asking a question, using these coins to draw a particular trigram, and then consult the book for answers.

anyway, thought it was cool

Good find....
    practice wu de

Comment

Yeah, it's Yi Jing. This Yi means "change" like you said, and the Jing means a sacred book or scripture. It's often translated in English as "the book of changes".

Comment

OK, do you pronounce that as yee, or ee, or I'm I totally off?
        practice wu de

Comment

It's pronounced like EE. The Y is silent if it is in front of the letter I. So, Yi, Yin, and Ying are all pronounced with a silent Y and a long E sound. If Y is followed by anything else then the Y is pronounced like in English.

Comment

Thanks again Xing.
            practice wu de

Comment

Ja You really should learn Chinese. Everybody's doing it.

Comment

I'm waiting to get my PE (profesional engineering license for which I have to study the next 4 months for), then I was concidering taking a class at CU or at this local place (but that is mainly for young chinese americans). Either way, I'm looking into it.
                practice wu de

Comment

Originally posted by xing_jian108
                  Ja You really should learn Chinese. Everybody's doing it.

It is most certainly the case that ALL the cool people are doing it!

(of course, that dosent mean that all the ones who are doing it are cool- damn, just my luck...)

Comment

Guess I know that I'm just damned either way -- damned if i do..damned if I don't.

Please, i don't need your pity...

g
                    ZhongwenMovies.com

Comment

Damn....damnness and its...damning damnation.

Comment

Oh, wow...hehe i just checked that news site again, and this picture was on it as an advertizement for 2 new channels on Israeli TV that will generally deal with what they call "alternative living"
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by dogchow108
                          It is most certainly the case that ALL the cool people are doing it!

(of course, that dosent mean that all the ones who are doing it are cool- damn, just my luck...)
                          Yes, even doc is doing it. Has been for years. Still at a preschool level. Like, nursery school. But, it's nice to know that I am now, cool.

Made my day.
                          Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
                          russbo.com

Comment

Would that make you cool with pre schoolers finally Doc?

Just kidding, I think you're cool, well, you have a really cool site....
                            practice wu de

Comment

I think you qualify as pretty damn cool when you can spread true Shao Lin throughout the world right from your home. That's awesome.

Comment

Working...
                              X