No announcement yet.

Teaching Strategies/Philosophies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, I forgot about that. that is a VERY good reason. Well pointed out Xing Jian
    Don't trouble trouble until trouble troubles you.

Comment

Kids are one of the only reasons many schools are economically viable however. My teacher doesn't like teaching a kids class, he doesn't mind teaching kids one on one however. It turns out to be too much babysitting imho. I wouldn't mind teaching one now, but my schedule sort of prohibits that now.
      practice wu de

Comment

When I first started teaching children the parents kept bringing them to me whenever they got in trouble and expected me to be like their new daddy. That wasn't cool with me. Especially since they weren't quite MILF material. But teaching kids does get you more students. But Gong Fu isn't meant to be like a little kids playtime like at Tae Kwon Do school. Which have like 80 kids each day.... A joke.

Watching students progress is really cool. My students keep saying they don't feel like they have progressed much. So, I have to go back and show them tapes from before. And it's funny. One guy started doing private lessons with me to get into shape before joining everyone else. He was over 30 and near 290lbs. He couldn't breathe. Couldn't punch three times without getting tired. He's been with me only some months now. He can breathe! He is even running around the park with the rest of the students (early 20's). And his roundhouse kick is amazing! Perfect roundhouse kick. Head height. perfect snap and all. I wish I could post that video online. But don't know how. I'm quite proud of him. He even lost weight. He's now 260. That's 30 freekin pounds but he still says he doesn't notice it because he is always down on himself. Each time he says something like I can't do it, pushups. He can do those. Really well now. He even likes it. Seeing that is the most rewarding part of teaching. I'm happy I get the chance to help.

Comment

Those are always good stories.. thanks xing...
          practice wu de

Comment

Man, if you think kids are tough, you should try teaching women's self defense....... god that's interesting.
            Show me a man who has forgotten words, so that I can have a word with him.

Comment

I think that women's self defense classes are inherently flawed for the most part. False sense of confidence, not enough training in 1hr, or 5 classes, or such... If it is longer than that, then they might as well be learning how to fight.
              practice wu de

Comment

I haven't done any women's self-defense classes. I think it would be fairly simple. But women are mean! I wouldn't want to be the guy in the redman suit getting the sh!t kicked out of me by them. Vicious chicks... I would teach them something like hit their eyes with your car keys, smack them with your hair brush. Something like that. Cuz, the only class I would have with just women is called "private class". Mainly focusing on partner stretching and all that.

Comment

some women's self-defense classes seem to almost deliberately get their students into trouble. the number one thing anyone can do to defend themselves is avoid dangerous situations in the first place; and instead of offering sane advice like "don't wear revealing clothes to a pool hall", some of these classes preach blatant disregard for reality like "you should be able to wear whatever you want to a pool hall without fear". yes, you should be able to, but that's not reality, and any class claiming to teach someone how to defend themselves ought to be concerned with reality.

Comment

Zachsan- i would totally give you rep points for that, but it wont let me!

Either way, it would scare me to bear that kind of responsibility.
                    Last edited by dogchow108; 12-14-2004, 10:14 PM.

Comment

From my short stint as a bouncer at a dance club / pool hall, it was my experience that 'revealing clothes' had nothing to do with attracting trouble. Being alone, being intoxicated, and engaging in generally lewd and stupid behavior were the three things that would invite trouble often. And that was for both women AND men. My advice for women who want to protect themselves AND have a good time out is to stop the drinking, go with your friends, and carry yourself with some civility.

That's kind of why I question a lot of supposed 'self-defense' classes: self-defense always starts with taking a good, hard look at your lifestyle choices.
                      -Jesse Pasleytm
                      "How do I know? Because my sensei told me!"

Comment

t was my experience that 'revealing clothes' had nothing to do with attracting trouble. Being alone, being intoxicated, and engaging in generally lewd and stupid behavior were the three things that would invite trouble often
                        Revealing clothes. We see that all the time in the malls of Las Vegas. We also see a lot of stupid behavior. Kind of goes with the territory....
                        Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
                        russbo.com

Comment

Does Shi Xing Wei go out with you guys? How does a young monk (who all the girls like) live in such a place without going nuts? He must be an enlightened fella with no desires whatsoever.... Even in the Sin City, huh? I was thinking the same as you in that story about the giant rat in his room. But hey, gotta give it to him. That's control. As the lady said in the new years video; "that took a lot of concentration".

Comment

Well, kids are kids wherever you go. They need people to help them along and supervise them since they're children and that's how it is, and thus they can be a pain. But young adults, perhaps from 13years of age on-up, can be really rewarding people to deal with, depending of course on the student's disposition.

In west Philly I had been working with a lot of "at-risk youth,'' or rather young individuals who had convinced the general population that they, in the not too distant future, would either get hooked on hard-drugs or be sent off to jail. When first confronted with the ideas of hard work, sincerity, respect, brotherhood, strength, determination, etc. these youngsters, the same one's who seem to be crying out for the affects that these values have, most often take a very big step back. Later however, they somehow come to acknowledge the benefits of what they're doing and their lives change as their hopes and dreams are gradually actualized through it. For me, it's really an amazing and beautiful process to witness.

Kids that used to get down on themselves and lack motivation, well, they'll be telling you to move it, hurry up, and do more. Kids that caused a world of trouble, looked out in sadness, scared -- perhaps to you for guidance -- they become great teachers. I've learned the most from them.

g
                            ZhongwenMovies.com

Comment

Onesp1ng, props to you, I can't give rep points now.

Xing, I've wondered the same thing.
                              Becoming what I've dreamed about.

Comment

Teaching women's self defense can be challenging. Keep It Simple Stupid. You have to create a system of defense that can be remembered by people who don't know how to make a fist, are completely non-aggressive, & will never practice.

As you guys said first and fore most is simple awareness & using your head. Most people have no idea what’s going on around them, or even if they are nervous about a potential threat they’re too polite to do or say any thing. “Bad guys” don’t like to be pointed out in public. If a woman’s being followed, cross the street, or turn and say loudly “I don’t know you! Stop following me!” At worst it’s embarrassing at best the guy slinks away. It’s a little like all the MacKarate teachers that teach a “knife defense technique”. Not one of them teaches run screaming like a little girl drawing as much attention to yourself as possible until you find someone with a cell phone who can call 911. No it’s much more manly to stick your bare hand out against razored steel!

Teaching women how to defend themselves is secondary to taking the steps needed to not be in the situation where the guy has already grabbed her. First train them to use their minds & perceptions before physical training.

Comment

Working...
                                X