SYX Journal: December 2004

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shi Yan Ming

There's another old rumor I'd like to put to rest and that is that she is "abandoned."

She's a handy tool for SYX, that is for sure.
    I find this all very interesting. Here's a quote from your brother, in the old FORUM ARCHIVE (russbo.com Forum Archive » General Bull**** » Old Bull**** » DISCIPLESHIP):

I have been a student of Shifu Shi Yan Ming and I am now his personal disciple. If he is not a monk then I don't care. In my experience he is everything that a monk should be and much more spiritually cultivated than many others who consider themselves to be men of the cloth or holy or whatever. If you need to then find a different word for him other than monk! He knows what he is and the people who experience him directly understand unless they are just there for the martial arts. USA Shaolin Temple Holds the spirit of Shaolin and that is all that matters to me. The man spent the majority of his life studying at shaolin in China. I think that rather than try and tear him apart he should be helped. He has no plans that are not for the benefit of the many. He gave up his entire life in order to stay and teach in America. There may be many reasons for this but I cannot help but feel a part of it was because he sensed an obligation to represent Shaolin here where we are so lacking that kind of presence. I went with him to china this passed summer and we were greeted at Shaolin. The monks there remembered him training and said he was one of their top students. They seemed to feel that as long as he was alive and teaching that Shaolin would also be alive. We saw him meet with family and friends. He gave up all of that to be in America and teach. Think of all of your favorite things, places, food, friends, and family. Now give that all up in order to teach Chan somewhere completely foreign! This is what this man did. While he has been here he has done alot of good things for people here. The temple is growing and the more energy that gets funneled into it the more good will come out of it. It is people caught up in there own preconcieved perceptions of things and definitions that take away from this positive force in the world. Say whatever you want but I am sure in my heart and mind that Shi Yan Ming is an extremely holy man and worthy of my respect as a master of Chan and as my master. More so than anyone else i have ever met.

Bhodi
    Kind of fun looking back on what people believed in the past. Enlightening, to say the least.
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
    russbo.com

Comment

well I think he still believes it now, lol...a lot of that comes from when we went back to Shaolin and Su Xi came into the room, and the stuff he was saying just hammered home that good works relegate all the he said she said to so much nonsense- expend your energies for good, what else matters.

not only is it enlightening, but it can also be enlengthening. don't forget your kung fu patterns Doc, in particular the Rooster group...
      "Arhat, I am your father..."
      -the Dark Lord Cod

Comment

Doc, you can talk about how dumb dicipleship is, you're Shi De Cheng's diciple, aren't you? You lucky son of a gun.

Hope you guys had a merry Christmas.
        Becoming what I've dreamed about.

Comment

This is a web page of Master Shi Heng Jun:

Master Shi Heng Jun have a school and he is on charge of losts of students. I gess he must be a very good manager for give all the childrens food, training and a place to rest.. As the web page says, he studied under the Aboot of the Fa Wang Temple ( well everybody claims to be a disciple of the respective Aboot ).

I am a student of Li Cun Bin ( Shi Yan Bin ) disciple of Master Shi Heng Jun. Master Li is a great teacher, and a great performer, and has better or equal quality of many monks i have seen in videos. The curriculum looks almost the same as other Shaolin schools. In fact I like more the kungfu of Master Li than the kung fu of Master Heng Jun. Student better than Master

Of the integrity of most of them let me tell you that Master Li Cun Bin is a very kind person. When i go to Mexico City to train with him, i stay in his home and do not charge me anything for the training or for anything at all. Master Shi Heng Jun was almost the father of Master Li, so I must gess that Master Heng Jun must have a great moral.

Lets just remember that some monks live of the schools and must be fathers of many kids so money begins to be a factor.

Regards,

Hector Villarruel
          Guadalajara, Jalisco
          Mexico
          Hector Villarruel
          Guadalajara, Jalisco
          Mexico

Comment

If I speak for myself, I'm mostley interested in the martial arts side of shaolin temple (like many of You I think) so i don't give a **** if someone is 'real' or 'fake'...If i like that person and I like the way and the things he's teaching, He's 'real'...or not ?

Comment

Originally posted by dave l.
              If i like that person and I like the way and the things he's teaching, He's 'real'...or not ?
              It shouldnt matter, unless you have a particular system in mind. If you do, however, it matters worlds who your teacher is. As far as this thread goes, For me it would probably be enough that the guy spent significant time training in the shaolin system, and not so much that he be a "real" buddhist monk. People who have been lied to and conned appreciate that more tha people who are fortunate enough to not ahve gone through that.

I'm still waiting for the poster of these e-mails to explain what the hell a real shaolin monk is supposed to be.

Comment

Originally posted by dogchow108
                ...If you do, however, it matters worlds who your teacher is. As far as this thread goes, For me it would probably be enough that the guy spent significant time training in the shaolin system, and not so much that he be a "real" buddhist monk....
                I was speaking of the shaolin system of course and not any style...so it does matter witch teacher i would choose but i don't care about the real vs. fake thing...

Why are people so crazy about shaolin monks If someone's hart is good, his kungfu is good and he's teaching very well, why should You care about real or fake monk ?

Originally posted by dogchow108
                ...I'm still waiting for the poster of these e-mails to explain what the hell a real shaolin monk is supposed to be..
                That's the way I see it (doesn't mean it really is like that of course...)
                Shaolin monk = Buddhist monks inside the temple walls
                Shaolin warrior = Kungfu practitioners inside the temple walls

Nooo ....forget the above thing...i don't care..and it's way too complicated for me

By the way, if I say De Cheng is married in the beginnig of the 90's and they had a big party at the wushu guan with all of the 'monks' together to celebrate..and he has a child...no one would believe me right ?

Comment

Shi Xing Du

Iteresting to read this. I met Shi Xing Du this summer when I as at Shaolin. He was in town visiting his master. His English was quite good. He told me that he has living in England studying computers. I thought that it was odd that he was studying other topics but still concidered himself a monk. He did not dress like a monk but he introduced himslef as Shi Xing Du. He gave me his cel phone number and e-mail address and asked me to stay in touch. I found it hard to see him the way I saw the other monks.

There is no real point to this I just found it all an interesting coincidence.

Happy New Year!

Comment

I'll qoute myself here:

"For me it would probably be enough that the guy spent significant time training in the shaolin system"

I get it, its not real vs fake monk I care about (although its always a plus to ahve a real monk, just because theyre a special kind of people), its real vs fake Shaolin Gong Fu i really care about. I'll respect someone who says "hey, im not a monk but i know/study shaolin kung fu and i like to teach".

Niki- Shi De Shan rubs me much the same way. So did xing Wei, when i stayed at Doc's this past week. Again, this is going into the whole thing about defining what a "real" monk is. Its really more a matter of perspective thede days, especially with shaolin.
                    Last edited by dogchow108; 12-30-2004, 12:17 AM.

Comment

as I thought, Frederic has nothing to do with Shi Yan Ming.

It is possible he has trained at the USAST, as a regular student, but this individual does not have authority to teach anything from Shi Yan Ming.

If this person advertises or says that he does, I would very much like to see it.
                      -the Dark Lord Cod

Comment

....and if the poster can not produce where Frederic made the claim, I would think he would do well to be more careful of what he is reporting...as that is rather misleading.
                        -the Dark Lord Cod

Comment

I do believe DalingNiki to be a person of the female persuasion. Gosh, they sure are piling up. What's that 2 now? 3?

WELCOME DalingNiki! PLease kick those pesky shoes off. Stay a while!

g
                          ZhongwenMovies.com

Comment

Arhat, thats one of the things ive been trying tog et at here. Make the claims, fine, but be man enough to at least back them up even anonymously.

Comment

Originally posted by onesp1ng
                              I do believe DalingNiki to be a person of the female persuasion. Gosh, they sure are piling up. What's that 2 now? 3?

WELCOME DalingNiki! PLease kick those pesky shoes off. Stay a while!

g

Thank you for the warm greeting. I hope all is well with you! Happy New Year!

Comment

yeah Dog I hear you man. You would not believe some of the bullsh!t that is out there, this guy saying this, this guy saying that...sometimes it is funny outrightly, like one guy asking me if some pasty sifu from NY challenged Yan Ming in a letter, written in Chinese no less...another variation was that Yan Ming told him he was going to the police to get a restraining order to keep the sifu away!! I mean maybe this happened to somebody else, who knows, but if it did happen the teller or the reteller got some wires crossed and some names mixed up cuz if there is one thing Yan Ming does not do it is front, truss...

Shi Yan Ming does not know what a restraining order even is, the idea of him calling the police to get one openly makes me laugh. And you don't get one from the cops, you have to go to court...

Usually when I see these posts I just shrug. I think a lot of people get told some sh!t and they don't do any due dilligence, but they have no problemo spreading the hoopla.
                                -the Dark Lord Cod

Comment

Working...
                                X