what's in your arsenal????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what's in your arsenal????

Having only recently, as in the last several months developed a growing interest in mma, I'm curious to know how everyone's putting their style combos together. From what I've read, I understand that alot of folks are using bjj and muay thai, and I'm plan to shoot out to Thailand for some home grown thai in around march/aprilish, but before I go, while I'm going to be busy refreshing my master fitness trainers certificate, I want to pick up something that's going to count toward my interest.

I do have some cmas and a little this and that and before you all boo me off the thread, yes, I realise your feelings on cma in mma is not exactly warm and fuzzy. :P What I'm looking to do now though is refresh some ground game and change mode to offence. I'm looking at a few things I think will likely give me a good advantage and hopefully something different in combo or with a few surprise apps to what I'm likely to meet. I do have a general idea of where I'm heading with it, but any input from mmaers already playing, competing and pulling some wins will be sweet. So what's working and do you all recommend???

Pls feel free to use the pm system aswell for any links or tips.

cheers

Blooming Lotus

Whenever people talk about things like this, I always get kinda embarassed because I have a lot of MA styles, but I am just really....n00bish.

I've been introduced to all kinds, from judo to capoiera, but I have really shallow knowledge in all of them. I guess you can say I get taught when I can find a teacher, even if they are my cousin/uncle staying for only 2 days.

The most extensive martial art I study is gong fu, hands down. But I am interested in so many!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111111111!!!!!!!!!1! 1!1!!11!!111!!1111

But anyways, if you're looking for a harsh martial art or combos of martial arts, you are probably on the right track with the thai and bjj stuff.
    Becoming what I've dreamed about.

Comment

If I see it out, I'll more than likely head in that direction but I read and re-read a few articles recently from successful male ring fighters and I'm nearly leaning towards incorporating some Japanese stylings aswell . I remember when I was in north China I spent some time with an ex-national medal Russian karate player and when we had our sparring playtimes, he pulleed out a few things that caught me off guard and I had never really seen done before. I feel karate to be much more offencive in nature than anything I've really trained previously as opposed to straight out defence and so forth and I know it's a part of my game that I need to rehash. This one move he did was a root leg ankle grab throw and it nearly reminds me of something I've seen in piqua. there are soo many little apps in so many different systems that I'm sure would really benifit an mma, but I really only have a yr to tune them so it's just a matter of choosing the systems that are going to give me the best quality of these "extra" surprise apps over the short time I have. I'm also looking at toshindo for it's knees and mantis has crossed my mind aswell. It does sound a little erratic , but if I go one on one instruction and just go straight to drills for the most part, with what I already have I think I'll be fine.

I am getting seriously discouraged though and may not even go through with it at all. It seems there's really little available for women on comp circuits and the fact that most men just refuse to take a female seriously in combat just sh*tts me to tears. I work twice and three times as hard as alot men and I still get really little respect. I'm sure I'll get over it because if I'm not training I just have no idea how ppl spend their time . I hate that it's like this for us but such is the plight for the female maer I guess. Being small doesn't help either but what do you do . Train less, eat more crap that I just don't need and is going to make feel so cr*ppy I won't want to train anyway, or throw my hands in the air and go join the hooters team?..... Is there a point??? I hate pushing sh*t up hill and I don't mind admitting I 'm sitting here in tears. It's sucky and for all my faith in my potential to achieve what I set out to, I'm on the verge of just throwing it in altogether . Anything motivational you want to share will be appreciated.

Cheers

Blooming Lotus

Comment

Originally posted by blooming tianshi lotus
        I'm sure I'll get over it because if I'm not training I just have no idea how ppl spend their time .
        You could always spend some time with your daughter .

Comment

Personally I've been brought up on a mix of japanese grappling (judo, some aikido), with gongfu being the basis of my striking, and taiji bringing it all toghether. But I don't fight alot of people. However I do have a 2-0 record in dormitory boxing at Litchfield Hall.

Whatever works for you. But if you're going with bjj and muay thai, be careful with your joints is all's i have to say.
          Show me a man who has forgotten words, so that I can have a word with him.

Comment

Originally posted by daodejing
            However I do have a 2-0 record in dormitory boxing at Litchfield Hall.

lol

Whatever works for you. But if you're going with bjj and muay thai, be careful with your joints is all's i have to say.
            I'm fairly strong really and my flexibilty is generally pretty above average in both my wrists and shoulders and my splits are okay aswell. Is there something I should be doing????? I also read in a medical journal that our joints receive all their nurishment through the end of the cartlige in the senovial fluids by applying pressure in which insights nturitional release. I think that stretching qualifies as exactly that and it has been a huge part of my body care for a long time ( as in many yrs) . I liken it to ,if you can imagine the joint end sitting in a sink of senovial fluid where stuff is released and reabsorbed. I think ( though I've only half found med literature to correspond but so far so good) that when we crack our joints, it releases the toxic build up of the stagnant fluids and you get to start again with a sink of clean fluid. I think it just makes for better health and higher potential from your exercises and stretches and more so on this "natural msm effect" higher protein 3/4 ( ish) catabolism and elimination :1/4( ish) metabolism eating plan I'm on where those aminos and how you balance the other sugars in your system , and how much exercise to do and when all become crucial to the health of the joint and so forth. I'm sure I've spoken about it elsewhere, so feel free to have another look at that. Any constructive and informed critism is welcome aswell. I have checked this with certain other health proffessional though and I'm now looking at the contribution of the spleen to it all. It's a long story but I think that body fluids and their consitution is responsible for practically every function our bodies perform........ just another ( as in more holistic ) way to interperate it I guess.

I'm looking at doing some weighted pulley plyos to get some more strength in the stretch aswell , but I'm talking to a tkd friend of mine who's running it by some his tkd crew. Those guys have awesome plyo training regimes and some awesome strength in the air!! Well, there's gotta to be something right with tkd anyway :P

Cheers

blooming Lotus

Comment

i am a master of drunken fisticuffs. not to be confused with chinese drunken style gongfu; it's nothing so refined. it basically consists of achieving a state of reckless abandon in which you realize that you don't really care so much about defending yourself anyway, but you're instead driven by a nonsensical drunken rage that was probably set off by nothing at all. it takes much practice to learn how best to achieve this state while on a budget.

Comment

"something right with tkd"

Hahhhahahaha
                Becoming what I've dreamed about.

Comment

Bl, as interesting as your diet and regimen sound, remember a few things.

A regular diet and regimen will be good for your spleen in tcm terms, as long as said diet is all the nutrition you need for your training.

And as far as I've seen bjj in the US, it was supposed to be a soft style, but in most classes, people fight very hard and try to hurt you while grappling. This, combined with muay thai, while wonderful conditioning, will increase you're likelyhood of being injured. That's all I meant. So relax in your training and eat enough food and you should be fine.
                  Show me a man who has forgotten words, so that I can have a word with him.

Comment

You'd think so on the spleen right??? I've recently been reading about lymphocytes and body fluids and it brought me to the spleen a second time around but as a more informed inquiree. Everything from our soil to our produce and addition of processed foods comprimises our nutrition and not many folks really do get what they need. Cheers for the support though, If I skip a meal your words will likely haunt me so thx

Blooming Lotus

Comment

Working...
                    X