Shaolin Temple UK Training

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yep...well..p'raps it is...

But - always look on the bright side of life..dum di dum, di dum di dum di dum....

Comment

Has anyone else here trained with both? It would at least be interesting to hear about the differences and similarities in the types of teaching in order to assess for ourselves which sounds better. I'd also be interested to know if any of you from the two different schools have met up and sparred or experimented in order to test effectivness? If not, why not; seems like a good idea to me....thanks

Comment

Nope, no-one here has trained with both - at least I dunno where wooden dummy went...

As for it being a good idea for the students to spar together, I'm certainly not interested in exploring their kung fu, and how many other students from STUK are on this forum?

Why not? I've seen their video.

Boy, do I come across as bitter...and me such a cheerful guy...

It's all a front, really! I LOVE the Wahnam folks!

Peace
        Attached Files

Comment

lol

lol id pay to see wahnam spar with any shaolin temple..id just freakin love it

no more smoke and mirrors on that subject after that..thatd be fo sho

im sure master dan hartwright would be a tough one

lol

hmm that gives me an idea..not gonna mention it here though..

hmmmmmmmmm
          "did you ask me to consider dick with you??" blooming tianshi lotus

Comment

"Sifu" Dan?

Jesus Lord.

That's the funniest shit I have heard in a long long time. Funnier than the drunken boxing advice. Well, maybe only a little. "Sifu" Dan. He's trained how long? He has some major league sack I'll say that for him...

The only thing I would like to say in regards to what has been posted in this thread is that in regards to Taoism and Ch'an getting along, you should have no fear. Without Taoism, there would be no Ch'an. There are Taoist temples which share ceremonies with Shaolin Temple, and vice versa. The Taoist temple helped hide the Shaolin monks during some of the Cultural Revolution. I have heard of some monks telling their disciples they were no longer allowed to participate in their previous spiritual traditions, but Buddhism is not a 'religion,' more of a philosophy. I know Shi Yan Ming has no problems with me being Catholic, although the church might not be so psyched to learn I have a dharma name. But Gotama was not a God, just a man.

In fact, there is a very interesting wall hanging in our temple, of the Buddha, Lao Tze, and Confucious, combined in a tripartate figure.

The reason why your fluent in chinese friend couldn't get a word out of the 'monk' about taoism is probably because the individual was not a monk, but an employee. A sad state of affairs, but true. If your friend spoke to a real monk, I am sure he would have been more than up to the conversation.

Good luck in your comparison. But if you want to learn gong fu in the way you are making it sound, like in a spiritual tradition, why bother with WKK in the first place?
            "Arhat, I am your father..."
            -the Dark Lord Cod

Comment

wouldnt go that far..

wouldnt go as far to say that without taoism thered be no chan..

for one thing chan is an interesting school of buddhism to say the least..but i highly doubt there being a lack of taoism back in the day would have stunted the growth of chan..its just got to much potential..its a genuinely brilliant philosophy

not denying taoism and chans effect on one another..just saying, i wouldnt go as far to say there would be no this if it werent for that..to many variables in the first place with those kinds of statements

Comment

mmmm...

should have said chan as we know it today...
                -the Dark Lord Cod

Comment

Wow.

I just found this thread.

And where is Wahnam Dan? We haven't heard from them in a while.

Which is unfortunate. It was highly educational and entertaining having some of the Wahnamites around....
                  Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
                  russbo.com

Comment

i think they have their own forum and site now doc so no need to go somewhere to discuss that isnt "friendly" if u know what i mean

hope you are well in thailand,
                    dave
                    simple and natural is my method,
                    true and sincere is my principle --Tse Sigung

Comment

wahnam..

i think out of all of us..cheye said it best about "shaolin" wahnam

it doesnt matter anyway, everything dan ever said was just reguritated mess out of wkks books and outta his site..if anyone thinks its interesting visit the site or buy some books..not sayin the stuff wasnt interesting just sick of hearing it from those people =)

ive yet to see anything new come outta wahnam, doubt it will since ive lost interest in that "school" anyway

peace

Comment

OKAY...

I've been away for a couple of weeks w/o net access or any training, but I've now attended both schools and hve a pretty good idea of what I'm gonna be saying in my assessment... so as soon as I've attended a couple more lessons at each place I'll give y'all the full whammy... until then I'm gonna keep my mouth shut on the matter. Remember, I'm trying to accomplish two things:

1. To give a reasonable, unbiased account of the training process and objectives at each school, from a beginning student's point of view, for the benefit of new students wanting to decide which school would be best for them, beairng in mind that these are really the only two places in london that you can learn traditional shaolin gung fu

2. To try, as far as it goes, to break down any misguided preconceptions that one school might have about the other, and try to promote an atmosphere where people are at least prepared to be open-minded and non-judgemental towards each other.

Note that I say try, because to be honest, taking into account events that have gone before, and the kind of things people are saying, I'm really not sure that this part is going to work...

Which is really a sad state of affairs.

I can only hope that the majority of people around here will accept my words on these matters based on the fact that nobody else from either side actually seems to KNOW anything about the other, and can only take reference from their own opinions based on the things that they've heard people say about 'this' or about 'that', and not from genuine personal experience. Obviously, I don't think I'm really going to be able to change anynone's minds about anything, since people generally go into an argument with set ideas about things, and leave with the very same opinions, totally unchanged by anything said.... so... I dunno. We'll just have to wait and see. I'll probably write it up and post it next monday.
                        "Be Cool" - Lao Tzu

Comment

lol

lol...

wahnam is pathetic

nice try..hopefully not everyone here is an idiot..

Comment

...feel the chi...see that cloud over there? I'm dispersing it...
                            -the Dark Lord Cod

Comment

Jim,

Listen, while I appreciate your efforts to bring this together, as I said earlier, the problems people here have with Wahnam are not ones that can be resolved with attending a class. For me it's not his gongfu I'm concerned with, it's his attitude which puts me off wanting to learn from him regardless of how good his GF is. Secondly, I've seen the video, and if that's advanced shifus fighting there then the discussion is over.

What I do think this'll be good for is the other loads of unbiased people out there who want to make the same choice as you.

Peace

Comment

i agree with lipster - will be good for newbies who are interested in boththose schools.
                                but theres a reason why some of us are not making any comments

dave
                                simple and natural is my method,
                                true and sincere is my principle --Tse Sigung

Comment

Working...
                                X