Studying TCM in china?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studying TCM in china?

Are there good places for foreigners to learn some tcm (mainly herbs and accupressure type stuff) in china? I'm thinking more along the lines of short(ish) courses not multi-year degree programs.. a few weeks or months at most..

Well I found this place which looks interesting, they even have distance learning courses so you can learn a lot before going over there for the 'hands on' stuff..

There are sample lessons available for free on their site also so you can see what they teach.

Comment

All those who complete the required courses and pass the examination will receive relevant certificates.
      What a joke. 1200 dollars (and not docdollars) for a four week course.

In China, TCM practitioners go through about three or four years of training. And, you can't get a license to practice acupuncture in the US with a four week certificate.

Again, another Chinese web site money rape mechanism.
      Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
      russbo.com

Comment

However their distance learning courses are just $475 for a 20 month program.. think the idea is you do all that 'theory' first and then go over there for a few weeks to stick needles in people.. I guess they don't have malpractice lawsuits or whatever to worry about like in the US!

Seems ok for what it is, my only interest would be personal - not to actually work in the field so certificates or licenses are of no interest/use.. the distance learning is a fairly cheap and convenient way to learn.. assuming that what they actually teach is the real thing.. anybody here can comment on the curriculum?

Could just buy a book though I suppose..

Comment

I found this looks pretty cool, they offer short-term TCM course in China. Total beginner can enroll as well. The agency called Allied Gateway which offers other intestesting program in china as well. They offer very comprehensive services as well to take care of you and lots of extra curriculum activities on weekend.

www.mystudyinchina.com
          Last edited by sachapoon; 09-07-2007, 06:20 AM.

Comment

Finally upon receiving the receipt verifying the payment of the full program fee by fax or email by payment deadline, your placement reservation is confirmed. Allied Gateway will send you the confirmation by email. In the meantime, the visa supporting documents will be sent to you by registered mail for you to apply for a study visa– X visa or F visa to come to China.

Allied Gateway is not responsible for any misplacement or any loss during the course of mail. Documents should be sent by registered mail or Express mail to ensure safe arrival of documents in Guangzhou office.
            Careful. According to this, they're expecting you to send the TOTAL school fee before you even step into the country. And they're not responsible for "any loss during the course of the mail".

Caveat Emptor. If you don't know what that means, look it up and understand it.
            Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
            russbo.com

Comment

Originally posted by doc View Post
              What a joke. 1200 dollars (and not docdollars) for a four week course.

In China, TCM practitioners go through about three or four years of training. And, you can't get a license to practice acupuncture in the US with a four week certificate.

Again, another Chinese web site money rape mechanism.
              You can if you're already a doctor of medicine, chiropractry, or dentistry.

Dont trust anyone who does "medical acupuncture" or "chiropractic acupuncture"

These are the quacks who did a couple weekend courses and now think its cool to needle perpendicularly into the thoracic cavity without considering pneumothorax.

And yes if you really want to learn anything it'll take years.

Most accredited tcm schools in US are cheap though, around 15k per year for a graduate school.

Check out naturalhealers.com for a full listing of schools in the US.
              Show me a man who has forgotten words, so that I can have a word with him.

Comment

Just to clarify - it isn't just a 4 week course and you're 'qualified' as a tcm practictioner or something like that.. its a 20 month (approx.) distance learning course (with tutors to talk to) for the theory side and only when you finish that and pass exams (of a kind) can you do the 4 week course in china which is actually the clinical practice part in a hospital.. 4 weeks is not an awful lot but you can of course stay longer.

From what I have found the $1200 monthly fee for the tcm clinical practice is fairly standard at many universities over there (for foreigners of course).

Doing that course is not likely to get anyone licensed without further training and perhaps exams (depending on the country) but still I think its not bad as a taster for those of us who might consider $15k/year not quite so cheap.

Having said that I have looked at several recommended/licensable tcm degree courses around europe and while they are spread over 3 years the actual number of hours spent training and in clinical practice is not really any higher and the syllabus seems quite similar.

Comment

my bro went to school in cali for tcm. he owes nearly 100 grand now... he went to school for four years for his degree. are there shorter programs?
                  ZhongwenMovies.com

Comment

Originally posted by onesp1ng View Post
                    my bro went to school in cali for tcm. he owes nearly 100 grand now... he went to school for four years for his degree. are there shorter programs?
                    Depends how far you are prepared to travel.. there are several tcm colleges in the uk and ireland for example that offer 3 year accupuncture degrees which have most of the lectures on weekends and evenings so you can still work full time while doing the course.. hence no nasty student debts. If you also want herbology and other aspects of tcm then you can do various 1 year post grad courses there afterwards.

Not sure how useful they are if you plan to practice in the US or elsewhere though but presumably there is a way to get licensed.

Comment

Working...
                    X