No announcement yet.

Shaolin Taiji Chuan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am intrigued by the idea of Shaolin Taiji, I would like to see it and compare!!

However the taiji done by SYM in 'Love edit' , we now all now agree, is Chen. It is very close to the Chen Village Taiji forms (esp. xinjia) in fact closer than the other forms of Chen Taiji like Xiaojia (small frame), Zhaobao style or Hu Lei Jia Chen Thunder style.

Also note that within Chen Village Taiji Routine I (Yilu) and II (Erlu) are quite different both for the old and new frames.. Routine II is very physical with lots of and to the uninitiated looking like Gongfu!!

Well you can see for yourself! Check these videoclips:

showing Grandmaster Chen Xiaowang doing various bits from Old (Laojia) and New (Xinjia)frames routines I (Yilu) and II (Erlu)

The above clip is particularly worthwhile. Good quality and you can appreciate the power couples with smoothness of CXW.

Also have a look at
    This website is for sale! taichichen.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, taichichen.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

There are a lot videos of Old, New, Small frames and alos even of thunder style - I've never seen anything like that!!

The origins of Taiji are disputed. If you believe in the Chen family being the originator, then you need to know that their ancestor Chen Wangting practised Xiao Hong Quan and learned Cannon boxing (Pao Chui) from a famous General ( Is it linked to Taizu's cannon boxing???). His descendants practised these forms that got assimilated and transformed into Chen Taiji.
    The routines no.II (Yilu) of both Old and New frames are still also known as Pao Chui!!

So, Shaolin and Chen village are physically close and their martial arts are related in many ways! Surprise surprise. Maybe, it is not so important to know who learnt from whom, we should just celebrate the diversity of styles.

Comment

Actually, DeltronZer0, is there any way you can make us see a clip of the Shaolin Taiji you practise???

Comment

I dont have any clips of it myself, I've been trying to find some on the net but I can't find anything on shaolin taiji. I will be able to get a video of my shifu doing it next tuesday, so ill try to compress it and upload it somewhere here.
        This was one of the reasons I started this thread, to see if any other Shaolin practitioners did the temple version of Taiji. So if anyone else might have information on it or even clips, that would be fantastic. But i will try to get a clip uploaded, but that wont be until next week unfortunately.

Comment

I look forward to that.

I first started surfing MA forums 2-3 years ago when I was new to Shaolin Gongfu and Chen Taiji. I remember reading a thread similar to this one: a bit of an argument about 'Shaolin Taiji' and its relationship to the other taiji styles. Of course, I do not remember where!!!

The other taiji style I'd like to know more about is Wudang Taiji and how it is related to Chen, Yang, Sun, Wu (Hao), Wu...and Shaolin Taiji...

Comment

FOUND IT!!!

That thread was on the old Russsbo forum, where else? It is an excellent discussion about Shaolin Rou Quan, taiji styles , origins of taiji, etc etc

Comment

If you want to have a small look at the shaolin taiji version, pick up a copy of Jet Li's "Tai Chi Master". In the opening and end credits he does a shortened version of the shaolin taiji version, I only say shortened because they dont do the repeated moves, like repulsed monkey or wild horse parts maine. Its quite brief and not in any particular order, but you can see where some of the similarities and differences lie in the form, in comparison to others.

Im a big kung fu movie lover, so I have this one in my collection. Not sure how readily available it is for anyone else tho.

Comment

interesting that Chen has a pao form...

Jet Li?

The taiji on the back end of the Love Edit was tacked on by us from some footage shot when the disco channel was doing their noxious stimuli experiment. It is a small section of a much larger form and I don't think it is indicative of anything other than the disco channel asking to do something "moody" and "slow."

It does not look like the pieces in the other clips pasted in this thread- but they are very interesting and I do recognize pieces in our taiji.

I will have to ask about the rou quan.
                "Arhat, I am your father..."
                -the Dark Lord Cod

Comment

I'm going to wait until I get highspeed on Sat. at home to continue comment on this as I don't have the time right now...
                  practice wu de

Comment

good find.
                    practice wu de

Comment

From what my shifu has told me, Rou Chuan is like a more advanced tai chi style practiced by the monks. Though shaolin tai chi and rou chuan are two complete different styles.

Comment

Sorry guys...no video

Unfortuneatly, I wont be able to upload a video of my shifu performing the Shaolin Tai Chi form, as we weren't able to video tape. Our shifu's shifu, Shi De Fon, asked him not to video tape it, amongst other forms, as it is deemed secretive, which is probably why I cant find any videos of it on the net anywhere. So in respecting my shifu's wishes I couldnt provide the goods here. Sorry to disappoint anyone.

Amitabha

Comment

Rou Chuan (Shaolin Temples other Taiji)

Gday guys, I was just wondering if anyone has any information about Rou Chuan. About a month or so ago, I finished learning most of the Shaolin Tai Chi form, I still need to perfect some of the finer movements to it. But since the form is out of the way, my Sifu started us on Rou Chuan, which is like the Older Monk style of Tai Chi, and is very original and authentic to Shaolin. By older monk style I mean that most of the Monks over 25 practice this form of Tai Chi to promote their health and longevity.
                          The reason this style is so unique is that it doesnt borrow or incorporate movements from other styles, such like the Shaolin Taichi form borrows Chen style and Cannon Fist. Where as Rou Chuan is distinctively Shaolin. Its a very smooth and fluid form, aswell as very powerful at the same time.
                          From what my sifu has told me, there are 3 forms of Rou Chuan, a basic, intermediate and an advanced form. The basic form (the one im learning now) is around the same length as the Shaolin Taichi form, so when performed completely runs for about 4-5 mins. The intermediate form is meant to go alot longer than the basic. My sifu has learnt the basic and intermediate forms from his Sifu Shi De Fon, and he says that the intermediate form can go for half an hour. He might be embellishing a little, but either way it sounds like a long and detailed form.
                          Sifu also says that Shi Yong Xing is considered a master in Rou Chuan as he has made it one of his specialites.
                          I have seen a video on this site about Rou Chuan, but I couldnt recognize it, perhaps its further along in the form that im doing, or perhaps the intermediate or advanced versions. If anyone has any info or questions then feel free to reply.
                          Amitabha

Comment

Originally posted by DeltronZer0
                            Sifu also says that Shi Yong Xing is considered a master in Rou Chuan as he has made it one of his specialites.

from what I hear about the guy, it dosent surprise me

Comment

The Rou Chuan forms that are around today are 'reconstituted' forms.
                              that is the 3 ancient Shaolin Rou Chuan forms have been lost long ago in their original sequence.

The Shaolin Enyclopedia gives the names of the movements for each of the Rou Chuan forms.

The three Rou Chuan forms that exist now, I don't know how old they are, but they use real movements from the ancient Rou Chuan forms.
                              Today:
                              1- Rou Chuan Yi Lu is a form that is really a string of postures with some interconnecting moves added of the ancient Lohan 13 Postures Chi Gung.
                              (VCD is available)

2- Er Lu is a long form that looks nothing like the ancient version. (VCD is available)

3 - San Lu - I have no idea what it looks like.

There is a Rou Chuan form that comes from Shi De Gen's line, it is on VCD,
                              it is a combination of the ancient Rou Chuan Er Lu and San Lu forms, it mixes the two into one form.

The Shaolin Encyclopedia shows drawings of the complete ancient Rou Chuan Yi Lu form. The currently exists Yi Lu form is similar to it.

Legend says that the Second Patriarch of Shaolin, Hui Ke first developed Rou Chuan.

Ancient Rou Chuan shares many moves with Lohan Shaolin forms.
                              I don't know which one came first, I am researching that.

Any info on Rou Chuan / Rou Quan that anyone can find I'd appreciate seeing it, thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by DeltronZer0
                                Im new to writing on the Russbo forums but was interested in knowing whether any of you practice the shaolin temples taiji form. I am currently a student of a 32nd generation shaolin disciple Xing Wu/Brett Russell in Sydney, Aust.
                                Now Im not doubting its existence as a unique style of shaolin, but I have never seen any mention anywhere about it, other than it is the style used in the Jet Li movie "Tai Chi Master"s opening and end sequence. I only really hear about the 4 popular styles, Chen, Yang, Sun and Wu.
                                MY sifu says its a very martial oriented style, good for fighting, and most akin to Chen style, with some similar movements, but in all, its a very unique style.
                                I was just wondering if any other students of shaolin kung-fu study this set of taiji?

Amitabha
                                The whole form can be seen with instructions in the Shaolin Encyclopedia.
                                A seperate booklet of this material was published in China as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X