Shaolin Taiji Chuan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shaolin Taiji Chuan

Im new to writing on the Russbo forums but was interested in knowing whether any of you practice the shaolin temples taiji form. I am currently a student of a 32nd generation shaolin disciple Xing Wu/Brett Russell in Sydney, Aust.
    Now Im not doubting its existence as a unique style of shaolin, but I have never seen any mention anywhere about it, other than it is the style used in the Jet Li movie "Tai Chi Master"s opening and end sequence. I only really hear about the 4 popular styles, Chen, Yang, Sun and Wu.
    MY sifu says its a very martial oriented style, good for fighting, and most akin to Chen style, with some similar movements, but in all, its a very unique style.
    I was just wondering if any other students of shaolin kung-fu study this set of taiji?

Amitabha

Tai Chi

I've read of at least 2 internal styles which were created some time around 550-600 A.D.; Sheau Jeou Tian (Small Nine Heavens) and Hou Tian Fa (Poat-Heaven Technique). Some writtings say these 2 styles were the original sources of Tai Chi Chaun, the creation of which is credited to Chang San-Feng of the late Song Dynasty around 1200 A.D. I, myself, study Chung Moo Quan style Tai Chi.

Comment

Is that the same form as the one shi Yan Ming does at the end of the Love Edit?

Comment

Im not sure dogchow, id have to see the shi Yan Ming Love Edit movie, if you could link us up I could check it out.

Comment

Historical data pointing to Zhang San Feng inventing taijiquan is pretty dodgy at best. It most likely came from Chen village, developing out of hongquan, paoquan, and other older longfist styles.

It should be of no surprise that the taiji found around Shaolin is nearly Chen style...Chen village where the style originated is quite close.
          -Jesse Pasleytm
          "How do I know? Because my sensei told me!"

Comment

Shi Yan Ming "Love Edit

I just watched the Shi Yan Ming "Love Edit" movie, It looks to me like hes doing Chen style or Yang, though I'm not sure. But it isn't the version that was taught to me by my shifu.
            I also had some trouble playing the movie in quicktime. Where it would result in QT causing an error and shutting down, ive also noticed some problems with some other QT movies ive downloaded from russbo.com. Getting a black screen and very pixelated movement from some, which have played perfectly fine for me before. If anyone else has had this problem and know how it might be resolved, please get back to me. Cheers.

Amitabha.

Comment

Shi Yan Ming in 'Love edit' is doing Chen style Taiji, I am sure. I do the Old Frame routines I and II (LaoJia Yilu and Erlu). Many of the moves are similar to Laojia but he is doing it with extra spiralling movements. Thee are some moves that are not present in Laojia but I have seen in Xinjia! So, I think he is doing Chen Taiji New Frame routine I (Xinjia Yilu).

I have met other Shaolin monks in UK ( Shi Yanjian?) and Shi Hengxuan that do Taiji. They both do Chen Style. Actually, I was astonished to meet Shi Yanjian at a London seminar held by Grandmaster Chen Xiaowang, the standard bearer of the 19th generation of the Chen family.

Comment

I practice the first part of the taiji shown in the SYM LE. Shaolin taiji is heavily from the Chen, but also has a lot of derivatives from pao tui- which is shown also in an inset in the SYM LE.

It's grueling.
                "Arhat, I am your father..."
                -the Dark Lord Cod

Comment

I heard SYM learned that form in America off of RenGuangi.

It is Chen style.

Comment

several such rumors were floating around but it was all hearsay and similar to the story of how Guolin and SYM took their ordination vows under SYC...unsubstantiated and at best misunderstood truths.

I think it is obvious there was contact between Chen and Shaolin.

SYM says they are similar but that pao tui and some other forms had an effect on the taiji practiced in Shaolin.
                    -the Dark Lord Cod

Comment

several such rumors were floating around but it was all hearsay and similar to the story of how Guolin and SYM took their ordination vows under SYC...unsubstantiated and at best misunderstood truths.

I never heard that one. lolo Funny stuff.

I think it is obvious there was contact between Chen and Shaolin.

Agreed.

SYM says they are similar but that pao tui and some other forms had an effect on the taiji practiced in Shaolin.

I have seen the form done by both. They did look almost identical. But it could very well be a rumour. I also heard he learned the whole form in one day in one shot.

I have seen lipeng do "shaolin" taiji and it looked completely different.
                      It was the best taiji I have ever seen. His power was quick and explosive.

Comment

the eagles are going to the superbowl.

Comment

one day, one shot?

shit that is a long form, even for a rumor, lol...
                          -the Dark Lord Cod

Comment

Most of the Shaolin taiji I've seen looks much like Chen, whether it be small or large frame.
                            practice wu de

Comment

From what Ive seen, the Shaolin and Chen styles of Taiji are quite different. Especially once you see them performed in their complete form's. I have only a Chen taiji 38 form and applic. book by Ren Guang Yi to reference the chen style for, but from what I can see in the movements and postures, they are quite different to what I practice for shaolin taiji.
                              Actually, I have also seen the Shi Yan Ming "Love Edit" movie, with him performing the Chen style, and that also looks quite different to the Shaolin version. When you see the shaolin version performed, it looks very much like a fighting style, espcially when done at a slightly faster speed and with proper breathing. It looks very powerful.

Comment

Working...
                              X