russbo Pager System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• russbo Pager System

The last new feature before I head back to Asia. Finally, got this working. A method to communicate with other members who happen to be "online". Not a chat or instant messaging system, as we already have those (Whooz Online, vBChat, and Digichat, which can be found in your Member Services / Communcation Services navigation bar, or in the upper right hand corner of each page). No, this is a way of getting other people's attention, so that you can guide them to the chat or instant messaging systems.

A pager system.

If you look on another member's post, in the upper right hand corner, lodged between the "add to reputation" icon and the "report bad post" icon, is a new small image, which highlights as "send a pager message to...." You won't find this icon in your own message posts, as you cannot send a message to yourself. If the member is currently online, he or she will get a "pop up" box in the center of his screen, the next time he changes or refreshes his browser page. If he or she is offline, they will get the page once they first log onto the forums. They will have the option of responding to you, if you click the "allow response" box in the pager.

This system is best used to get the attention of other members who happen to be online, if you so desire to talk to them. You can use the pager system to ask them to meet you in Hubz or one of the forum chat systems.

Hopefully, this will help increase communication among our members.
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
    russbo.com

The pager system is pretty much functional at this point. You can see the pager function icon in each individiual post, the Who's Online section, and some other places. However, I'm having a problem with the pager box being persistent. Kind of a "follow you everywhere" type of thing. Kind of like a old fat girlfriend.

If you use the pager system, keep the "allow reply" box checked, as it is by default. This will allow the receiver to reply to your page. He can close the box and be rid of it forever, by responding to your page. The receiver will not be able to close the box and not respond, ie, ignore you, at this time.

If you uncheck the "allow reply" box, the receiver will not be able to get rid of his pager box.

I hope to get this thing resolved, soon.
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

russbo.com

Comment

I've turned the pager system back on, as the coder of this system wants to play with it to see why we're getting the persistent "vbpager" box problem. Us it at your own risk until we get this thing figured out.

If you have a persistent pager box, email me with your user ID and password, and I'll log in as you to shut it off. For some strange reason, I can turn these things off.

Must have something to do with the hair.

russbo.com

Comment

Just installed a brand new pager system for the forums. This one seems to work much better than the old version. You can find the link in the usual spot, in the upper right hand corner of each post.

Please let me know if there are any problems.

russbo.com

Comment

The russbo VBPager system has been repaired, and updated. It works best in Netscape, Firefox, and IE 7. Hope you find it useful.

russbo.com

Comment

Working...
          X