kenjutsu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kenjutsu

I finally came across a book in the library about Japanese fencing, more specifically kenjutsu. I was really impressed by the techniques and exercises, so I've decided to take a break from geong fu and develop my kenjutsu skills.

Does anybody have experience with kenjutsu? Any exercises to recommend? Is it possible to use two swords effectively, like Mr. Musashi?

Also, does anybody know how to go about building a "bokken"? Right now I'm just using a broken broom handle which feels weird and unbalanced. And I don't want to buy one for $35 when I can make it for just $15.

I've seen them sold in shops for $10 or less, if you go to Chinatown, they are sure to have some. I am not sure about the frequency of weapons selling in the Oakland Chinatown, but I know the Pasadena one has weapons sitting in boxes that you can barter for.

Alas, I know no kenjitsu or have any knowledge of how to make a bokken.

However, I know there are two kinds of practice swords, a bokken and a shanai or something...

Anyway, it's all here, the best prices I have ever found online, if those cheap shop owners won't let you get away with a $10 bokken, lol.

Becoming what I've dreamed about.

Comment

Pujo, I can't help you with the prices...just have a small suggestion. Do kenjutsu, only, keep up the gong fu on the side. It can't hurt and that way you won't forget anything. A little every couple times a week is all.

Anyhow...enjoy,

g
      ZhongwenMovies.com

Comment

Suburi is an exercise you will find in every kendo school. Basically the exercise consists of shuffling forward from a ready position and taking a relaxed, full swing to the front, and then shuffling back and taking the sword above the head, ready to repeat the motion. A few hundred with a bokken should get a good sweat.

A shinai is the bamboo practice sword one uses in kendo for sparring. I would recommend sparring with a bokken, even with the armor on.

Pujo, a quick comment, while practicing sword swings and such might be good exercise, kenjutsu practice nearly always requires a partner. Solo practice is found more in iaido or iaijutsu. Get thee to a kendo school!
        -Jesse Pasleytm
        "How do I know? Because my sensei told me!"

Comment

In Oakland there's this Japanese hardware store (not in China town, more North Berkeley area) that carries shinai and bokkens for around $10. I was holding one of their bokkens and I got a couple of splinters. I figure I could fix the problem by sanding the bokken, steaming it, then coat it in linseed oil to make it really smooth. I don't know if linseed works too well with oak though.

As for partner drills, I'll probably need to look into that a bit more. This is all still new to me.

Does anybody know the name for Miyamoto Musashi's two sword style?

Comment

Find a softball bat and do suburi until you can join a kendo club.

I imagine you should be able to find a kendo club fairly easily where you live.
            -Jesse Pasleytm

Comment

i think musashi's school was called "ichi-ryu" or something like that in its time. as far as i can tell that and all the other schools of the time were just considered to be different styles within kendo, rather than apart from it. i'm not entirely clear on this, though.

if for some reason you're obsessed with learning musashi's style only, i would say, just read the book of five rings and make it up from there. you might be able to find someone who claims to teach the style, but before you waste your money on them, you should know that they just read the book and made it up from there.

if you're actually interested in learning something authentic, just go to a kendo school (make sure it's legit first of course), or an iaido class. you might want to keep in mind that at most kendo schools, you're eventually expected to buy a shitload of equipment. to practice iaido, all you need is a sword and a uniform. patience however is required for both styles.

Comment

Musashi's school is known as Hyoho Niten Ichi-ryu and still found in Japan today. This style, like all koryu, is probably very difficult to find outside of Japan, but not impossible. Anyone claiming to teach it would need an appropriate teaching license (menkyo) and would probably be fluent in the Japanese language.

Here's a couple links:
                Hyogo Niten Ichi-ryu gives a brief overview of the style, plus has links to techniques.

Koryu.com is a comprehensive look at classical Japanese martial arts. Read through this before you join any school that claims to teachs classical Japanese martial arts.

My advice once again:
                Kendo schools are plentiful and generally legit. Kendo is an art where if you don't have the documentation and you open up a school, you'll have some angry kendoka knocking on your door. Lesson fees are also usually cheap. The only problem is the cost of equipment, but most schools lend new guys used equipment until you can afford your own. I attend kendo every week, pay nothing for lessons, and use sh!tty old armor.

Unless you are willing to become fluent in Japanese and move to Japan for a long time, you will probably not find a kenjutsu school very soon. Kendo will get your feet wet with the classical style kata and will also give you connections if you want further your studies.

Just remember: Kenjutstu, like judo, aikido and most japanese martial arts, catagorically cannot be learned on your own.
                -Jesse Pasleytm

Comment

Working...
                X