No announcement yet.

Strength Training

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Training kungfu especially shaolin is training mechnics. I'm suprised a fitness expert like your self doesn't realise that.

JUST TRAIN KUNGFU IT IS THE ULTIMATE EXERCISE. If it isn't for you, maybe you should put more effort into your kungfu training and forget all this other stuff. Or maybe bring that philosiphy to a personal trainer musclehead website.

I am suprised if you truly train kungfu any of you would feel that you need anything else. I used to work out with weights until I found kungfu. I never went to a gym again.

Arhat- DO you think there is a better work out than one of Yan Mings level 2 classes?

Comment

Lol, sadly, I don't have the resources to train as hard as you are suggesting. I don't even have a teacher in this area.
      Becoming what I've dreamed about.

Comment

I agree !! Training is my main vocational thang for the minute myself but I think it's time for mrtal to tell us all what he's doing, where he's doing it and how the hell he got so godamned radical ! Appreciate it all, but just know, you are off your western head

Blooming tianshi

( On a serious note though, why not train tcma?? Because in earnest training there's that buddhistism and you've all heard the tale and thrown your stones but freaky sexual disciple weirdo nearly turned me off for life ................ now take me to the ring )

BL

Comment

Unless you actually want to get STRONGER.... well, to a certain degree....
          practice wu de

Comment

mortal, i agree that all you have to do is seriously, sincerely, study kungfu. and you will develop in unimagined ways that don't even seem connected to the art. but i believe wholeheartedly, that it is more than just training in mechanics. here is my point. true shaolin kungfu, is yin/yang. there is weight training, just not steel&iron.

there is fight training, just not really for sport, and with emphasis on not fighting at all. unless it cannot be avoided.

there is no one on this earth, that has a complete mastery, over the subject, but there are masters of learning. if you drop a pebble into a lake, it creates a ripple, that turns into a circle, that houses a smaller circle and so on and so on, that is yin/yang.
            it is forever expanding inside of itself.

most of us love kungfu, ma, for various reasons. but a true martial artist, knows that fighting is futile, really not worth the effort, and should end as quickly as possible.

kungfu, aint for erybody!!! not hardcore, suffer to learn the secrets of killing, so that you may preserve life, kungfu. but it can be for everyone, in the sense, that it can help them to develop in their own time, in their own circle. but we may rest assured, that without the chan, you do not have real shaolin no matter how hard we train, they go together. chan, teaches us to focus on the present moment 100%. because at this moment, you either claim victory, or accept defeat. every fight in the world, really only depends on who has the stronger WILL to win (if you call hurting someone winning). it is that will, that helps you to train, to prepare yourself for whatever may happen, whenever it may happen. it is that will to be unstoppable until you have decided to stop. the key is full determination. that to fight means war. right here, right now. And war always carries with it the threat of death. true kungfu, is learning how to not fight, and be able, willing, and resolved; if you have to.

peace.

onefocus.

Comment

Well despite all that, kung fu is going to have strength building exercises, such as lifting that iron kettle or doing those suspended sit-ups. Some questions asked if bwe could be substituted for wieghts, if there is no access to it, and if, using these bwe, strength could be maintained.

I guess I should ask you as well, Mortal. When you dropped the wieghts for just kung fu, did you lose any strength in terms of muscle? I don't really care much about muscle mass, per se, I just want to ensure that I didn't work hard for nothing.
              Becoming what I've dreamed about.

Comment

okay. the topic of this thread is supposed to be 'strength training'.

since we're talking about strength, we need to make the distinction between strength and self-defense, which it seems like nobody wants to do. the question of whether or not you can defend yourself with gongfu (not to mention the role of chan buddhism in all this) has nothing at all to do with simple, general, physical strength.

weight lifting, or even BWE like push-ups and sit-ups, will do more for your general strength than the practice of TCMA. weight training is based on solid scientific principles, whereas TCMA exercises are not, and have altogether different goals than simply building strength anyway.

if you want to argue that TCMA will do more for your strength than weight lifting, you need some kind of evidence to back that up. and your evidence needs to be something other than "it helps you defend yourself".

Comment

onefocus Good post.

Being stronger doesn't garrantee self defense. I know plenty of big muscle bound guys who can't move. Thusly making their big muscles usless.

I am not talking about self defense.

For example someone spoke of doing sets of squats.
                  Just do your kungfu forms it has all kinds of squats in them. Why just do squats by themselves. Your not even improving transitions and movement linking your whole body together. Your just squatting. I don't get it.

I just spar and practice drills 3 hours straight. 3 times a week.
                  i used to train shaolin and wingchun. At that point I trained almost everyday. One day shaolin forms. The next day wingchun fighting. I also rode my bike 3 to 10 miles a day as fast as I could.

There is my big training secret. Stop getting excercises off the internet and just train your forms and fighting. I still don't get all this overanalytical personal trainer stuff.

freaky sexual disciple weirdo lolo sounds hot!

Comment

oh man.

Being stronger doesn't garrantee self defense.
                    okay. the topic of this thread is strength training. whether or not being stronger guarantees self-defense, being stronger guarantees being stronger.

I am not talking about self defense.
                    you just did!!

For example someone spoke of doing sets of squats.
                    Just do your kungfu forms it has all kinds of squats in them. Why just do squats by themselves. Your not even improving transitions and movement linking your whole body together. Your just squatting. I don't get it.
                    you do squats in order to get stronger (legs). transitions, movement linking your body, whatever. you do squats, your legs get stronger. that is the point of strength training.

There is my big training secret. Stop getting excercises off the internet and just train your forms and fighting. I still don't get all this overanalytical personal trainer stuff.
                    you don't need to look on the internet to learn how to lift a barbell. you do need to train under a master to learn how to do a form. the barbell will make your arms stronger than doing the form will. who's overanalyzing??

Comment

Ok. Good luck at the gym with your barbells and circuit training!

Zachsan and I clearly have some unresolved issues.

We should meet so we could have a friendly sparring match to the death. lol

Comment

i'll just freeze you with my Killer Intent Psychology.

Comment

I agree, that there is a difference between strentgh training and martial arts to a degree. but say this three times ("training with weights, body weight ") notice the weight in both. the biggest thing is this, a bigger healthy man can lift things a smaller healthy man cannot. even if there were some way to truly measure strentgh. whatever strentgh training regimen a person chooses usually fits their personality.

no big issue there, know what you know.

zach aint got no probs with you, he's a passionate realist, from what i can tell.

he's pretty smart, so watch yourself.

peace.

onefocus. ps even in something like strentgh training, maximum effort, is the only way to gain maximum strentgh. but the real question is, what is maximum strentgh??

Comment

Originally posted by zachsan
                            i'll just freeze you with my Killer Intent Psychology.
                            great timing zach.

Comment

lol... "passionate realist". "pretty smart". i like it. i don't think mortal really needs to watch himself, though... it's just an internet forum for chrissakes...

anyway, in my opinion, you can't say that you're putting in the "maximum effort" if you're not making the mental effort to find the most efficient means of training possible. this might seem like "overanalytical jargon" but it's a simple manner of training hard, and intelligently.

i don't see the point myself. i don't need to be as powerful as a locomotive and i look fine. but if i go through a midlife crisis and suddenly care about my physical strength, i am going to develop it using proven methods.

maximum strength is the maximum possible ability of your muscles to resist force and perform work. past a certain point, your muscles just aren't going to get any stronger. also it's worth mentioning that some people can train for 8 hours a day and will still never have the strength or looks of some other people who were blessed from birth. genetics is a bitch.
                              Last edited by zachsan; 02-24-2005, 08:49 PM.

Comment

well, we do agree on the genetics issue for certain. But spiritual strentgh (however debatable), is a reality and carries a much more profound impact in fighting despite its overall intangibility. the styles of martial arts that use techniques like the red sand palm use chi/internal energy (spiritual force) to handle the situation. in fact, i could be wrong, but i believe that the highest accomplishment in martial arts, is to learn to fight with spirit. it is said that there are five paths to adeptship. the path of the warrior is one.

peace

onefocus.

Comment

Working...
                                X