Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Doc's great grandfather and 29 strippers....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doc's great grandfather and 29 strippers....

Some U.S. statistics for 1905:

The average life expectancy in the U.S. was 47 years.
    Only 14% of the homes in the U.S. had a bathtub.
    Only 8% of the homes had a telephone, and a 3-minute call from Denver to NYC cost $11.00 There were only 8,000 cars in the U.S., and only 144 miles of paved road.
    The maximum speed limit in most cities was 10 mph.
    Alabama, Mississippi, Iowa and Tennessee were each more heavily populated than California.
    California was only the 21st most populous state in the Union.
    The tallest structure in the world was the Eiffel Tower in Paris.
    The average wage in the U. S. was 22 cents an hour.
    The average U. S. worker made between $200 and $400 per year.
    A competent accountant could expect to earn $2,000 per year.
    A dentist could earn $2,500 per year, a veterinarian between $1,500 and $4,000 per year, and a mechanical engineer about $5,000 per year.
    More than 95% of all births in the U.S. took place at home.
    90% of all U. S. physicians had no college education. Instead they attended medical schools, many of which were condemned in the press and by the government as "substandard."
    Sugar cost 4 cents a pound, eggs were 14 cents a dozen, and coffee was 15 cents a pound.
    Most women only washed their hair once a month, and used borax or egg yolks for shampoo.
    Canada passed a law prohibiting poor people from entering the country for any reason.
    The five leading causes of death in the U. S. were: 1. Pneumonia and influenza, 2. Tuberculosis, 3. Diarrhea, 4. Heart disease, 5. Stroke
    The American flag had 45 stars.
    Crossword puzzles, canned beer, and iced tea had not been invented.
    There was no Mother's Day or Father's Day.
    Two of 10 U. S. adults couldn't read or write.
    Only 6% of all Americans had graduated high school.
    Marijuana, heroin, and morphine were all available over the counter at drug stores.
    18% of households in the U. S. had at least one full-time servant or domestic.
    There were only about 230 reported murders in the entire U. S.
    And,
    The population of Las Vegas was 30.
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
    russbo.com

Over the counter weed and heroin. Ah the good old days.

Comment

yup. and believe it or not, despite that fact, there was still a working economy, people still had morals and the fabric of society itself wasn't coming apart at the seams.

go figure.

Comment

I don't see your connection. Money doesn't determine morals one way or the other. I don't think I'll ever agree with you about anything, ever. it's more fun that way.

I don't see the fabric of society coming apart at the seams. You sound like a clueless democrat. Just kidding.

Comment

Originally posted by zachsan
          yup. and believe it or not, despite that fact, there was still a working economy, people still had morals and the fabric of society itself wasn't coming apart at the seams.

go figure.
          More likely it was but cnn wasn't around to report on it..

Comment

lol... i was talking about the drug thing, not anything about money.

so i'm not a clueless democract, i'm a clueless stoner junkie. cheers!

Comment

That sounds like it about sums it up....
              practice wu de

Comment

Working...
              X