I GOT A SWORD!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I GOT A SWORD!!!

My teacher gave me a sword. It looks like http://www.martialartsmart.net/45-50kk32.html but it's not sharpened. Anyway, I'm wanting to know proper maintance of the sword, do I need a kit to clean it with? And modifications I could make to the sword. I'm thinking of replacing the handle with a different piece of wood, replacing a tassel with a scarf, and carving on it some of the icons of Boy Scouting. Perhaps of putting webbing on it. My teacher wants to go over a Tai Chi sword form with me, but I was wondering is there any moves I could practice? Such as just basic movements?
    "If you want pure self-defense buy a can of mace." Grandmaster Villari (I think that is it).

Eh, I wouldn't go innovating your training equipment without supervision if you're not a craftsman. Most I would do (if you don't give two shits about aesthetics) is wrap medical tape around the handle for a better grip.

As for practice, have you been taught any taijiquan before, or any taiji or gongfu straight sword technique?
    Show me a man who has forgotten words, so that I can have a word with him.

Comment

If you got the sword, and it wasn't sharp. it is probably just for display. let your teacher teach you the form, what do you have to lose??? anyway, sharp or not, you can hurt yourself if you are not careful. have fun, and if possible check out the sword polishers handbook. that should give you some good info on the care and upkeep of your weapon.

peace

onefocus

Comment

I have weapons training primarily kubato, and escrima. It's combat steel so I could sharpen it if I wanted too. I know a person who's studying smithing. So I might take it too him before I do alot of experimenting. I have some knack from working with my father on his projects.

The reason I'm not into want to learn the form, is I want to wait till my buddy from Iraq comes home and I got alot of stuff going on.
        "If you want pure self-defense buy a can of mace." Grandmaster Villari (I think that is it).

Comment

Woh, hold your horses...

OK,
          rule one, don't touch the blade with you grimy hands.
          rule two, don't take it apart until you realise how the balance of the blade will affect your practice.
          rule three, scarfs are for broadswords.
          rule four, get a sword care kit, they're pretty cheap.
          practice wu de

Comment

Rule five, always take your sword out to cut steaks or vegetables when company is around, because it's quite the impressive show.
            Becoming what I've dreamed about.

Comment

especially when you realise you'd be better off by the nonsharpened side of a butter knife.
              practice wu de

Comment

Well that isn't very impressive, is it? You could tell your guest to hurl a watermelon in the air and you could do some fancy pants iado crap to slice that sucker in half.

Or better yet, bring it to a nice resturant on a date and totally cut your meal and feed it to your date-- fresh off the blade.

Oh yeah, sharpen it first. But only after you buy the kit.

Comment

lol... I wasn't planning on sharpening it, but hey I just might to do that. The watermeleon would be funny idea.

I'm not planning on modifying it, I know someone who is taking metal smithing classes. Who I was thinking of doing the job. I just want to make sure it doesn't twist on me when it shouldn't?

Why not put a scarf on a sword? What's the deal with the tassel?

Comment

The sword is a tai chi sword, right? If it is, the scarves are not meant for it. Scarves are more for broadswords. The tassel is for, if you have them, your cats to play with. Those buggers sure do love tassle.

Comment

Yeah, but I don't get why? Is it the sword doesn't move fast enough?

Comment

You know, I was wondering that too. I speculate that the scarf on the broadsword would be so something like a distraction for the opponent during combat, but as for the tassle, I don't know. The speed thing sounds like a good reason, though, I couldn't really think of anything else.

Comment

There has been good discussion on kfm about this. The tassles seem to have climbed in popularity since wushu came 'round. There aren't too many historical refferences to them if any at all. Some (Gene) think they may have started as lanyards. While others seem to think that when dueling with a sword you can whip someone in the eyes with the tassle.
                          practice wu de

Comment

I have heard it is too distract the opponent too. I also heard each school had a way of tying there tassles that was unique. My teacher started me on the form on the sword form. Taking a break from escrima kubato for awhile. It kind of feels odd, but evenutally I think I'll get used to it.

Comment

each school had a way of tying there tassles that was unique.
                              Never heard this before.
                              practice wu de

Comment

Working...
                              X