handstands as a static pose

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rob1357
    i wonder how one can build his strength so he can hold a static handstand without support. thats some hard shit. those monks are powerful!
    sorry I read this and just had to comment....but let me ask u something...do u think its much harder for a gymnist or even an experienced yoga intructor to do a hand stand and hold it? I know a good handfull of people that I chill with that can do it too....not for hours at a time...but it can be done. For god sakes even a balarina could prob pull it off....the point to my rambling is this.....there are 2 types of people >
    Trained & Untrained

balance, strength, coordination, stamina...etc.....these are all things you have to train yourself in

Monks are not friggin superheros, but they ARE trained

Comment

Muscle control.....

combination of strength, flexibility, and balance.
      practice wu de

Comment

The "monks" tend to weigh around 100 to 130 pounds....
        Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
        russbo.com

Comment

Chances are, if you have the strength, capacity, and muscle control to hold yourself straight in the air while you're doing handstand pushups, you don't need to be doing them in the first place.
          Becoming what I've dreamed about.

Comment

I'd like to add something i learnt here,by maestro,Indian Push Ups!Great workout,try it man!If you don't know what it is i have the link.
            Happy training
            The East? The West?

Men and Women, that's all...

Comment

yeah, i discovered those when i was about 13, before i knew what chinese kung fu was, there was a guy about 17 and he showed me those, he called them dragon pushups, i remember him finger jabbing everything in sight, and very hard, that is what inspired my punching the brick wall training.
              "Life is a run. In attack we run, in defense we run. When you can no longer run, time to die" - Shichiroji "Seven samurai"

Comment

The pyramid routine works great. Granted, I'm a girl so we aren't comparing muscle mass or anything but I have gained a lot of strength. I pyramid to 15, then will do diamond pushups to failure. (which is usually 6 max). Pyramid pushups are on toes and fists. Diamonds (also on toes, knee pushups are useless) are with hands close under chest, thumbs and pointer fingers together to make a diamond...

For handstand pushups, try starting from a headstand and pushing up to a handstand. If you start about 8 in from the wall you can stabilize yourself if you get wobbly, but not using the wall is good for a strong core.
                Whatever doesn't kill me had better be able to run damn fast.

"You are one of the most self-deluded immature idiots I've come across here for a time..." —Blooming T. Lotus

Comment

Flow were you talking about these? http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/mahler19.htm (3rd article down)

I think the pyramid thing should be my thing. I've been doing the suspended pushups trying to do 4 sets of 25 and it nearly kills me by the effin 2nd set.

I don't really know what they are called because names vary, but I am talking about getting three chairs and putting both feet on one chair and one hand on the other two chairs in a push-up position, and then going down more than you could with level ground. The over-extension works the muscles to a higher degree but with a higher degree of injury.

Comment

Yea this is the link.I think you gave it to me i just forgot.
                    Could someone explain me what are handstand push ups?I thought i knew what you meant but i'm not sure yet....What does it mean?Please forgive my lack vocabulary.
                    Hey for the tough guys,try on this link above,the last exercise,with the chairs and the wall!!!

Alright see ya
                    The East? The West?

Comment

The chairs and the wall thing are handstand pushups, but some people prefer to do the pushups on the floor without the chairs.

Comment

ignore this post,i posted twice the same and dont know how to delete
                        Last edited by flow; 07-11-2005, 01:16 AM.
                        The East? The West?

Comment

Working...
                        X