boxing lessons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• boxing lessons

There is guy teaching boxing lessons at the school I go too in exchange for working out. Anyway, me and some of the other students tried it out. What he was proposing was that I take a modified half-moonstance. He used mainly the jab(except if facing a larger opponent, in which case stay out and be prepared and swing, and try and get your left leg on the outside to close them off. I told this to my martial arts teacher and he said it was in one of the combinations.
    "If you want pure self-defense buy a can of mace." Grandmaster Villari (I think that is it).

Oh. Okay...
    Becoming what I've dreamed about.

Comment

been reading the Tao of Jeet Kune Do, it has alot of boxing stuff in it.
      "If you want pure self-defense buy a can of mace." Grandmaster Villari (I think that is it).

Comment

good economy of motion with very good striking structure...

and more similar than most think to gong fu punches.
        practice wu de

Comment

if you want to train like a boxer youll get really strong, if you want something different or new or whatever i wouldnt suggest boxing over gung fu..

because theres no strikes in boxing that arent in gung fu.. their footwork isnt half as complicated as ours and its really only designed for the ring, the way they fight is really only for the ring to, if you notice the KO punch is always gonna be mainly 1 side of the body hitting, they like to use the shoulder and ankle rotation to power their KO punches because they can do that in the ring..imo its not really that safe on the street

besides that, boxers dont know what to do in the clinch, they dont know how to defend against kicks or grapplers and the training really isnt designed for street fighting, but if you do it youll get hella strong, but the same is true with gung fu
          "did you ask me to consider dick with you??" blooming tianshi lotus

Comment

I'm already taking shaolin Kempo Karate chasses for the past few years, so I think I have learned abit of martial arts thank you very much. Sometimes were so deep in the forest we can't see the trees.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenknight2
              I'm already taking shaolin Kempo Karate chasses for the past few years, so I think I have learned abit of martial arts thank you very much. Sometimes were so deep in the forest we can't see the trees.

Dude, I've been training in the martial arts for over 15 years, and in CMA for ten; I don't even think I'm far enough into the forest to realise it's shady...
              Mike Evans
              Medford, NY

Comment

Originally posted by Maestro
                if you want to train like a boxer youll get really strong, if you want something different or new or whatever i wouldnt suggest boxing over gung fu..

because theres no strikes in boxing that arent in gung fu.. their footwork isnt half as complicated as ours and its really only designed for the ring, the way they fight is really only for the ring to, if you notice the KO punch is always gonna be mainly 1 side of the body hitting, they like to use the shoulder and ankle rotation to power their KO punches because they can do that in the ring..imo its not really that safe on the street

besides that, boxers dont know what to do in the clinch, they dont know how to defend against kicks or grapplers and the training really isnt designed for street fighting, but if you do it youll get hella strong, but the same is true with gung fu

lol, I hate when people say crap like this.

Boxing is the ownerz when it comes to throwing hands. They play to there strengths with using one side, I see no problem with that. As far as on the street, a punch that connects is a punch that connects, and if you are training for the street, I think you should consider carrying some firearms.
                practice wu de

Comment

sorry just hate when people act like I haven't event started martial arts. I was referring to when sometimes people make things so complicated, they they forget the simple things.

Anyway, after my first degree brown belt test, the weapons test, I got another lesson. Basically stop telegraphing the jab. One thing that's interesting is he said when throwing a hook sometimes the elbow will connect instead.

Comment

One thing that's interesting is he said when throwing a hook sometimes the elbow will connect instead.
                    yeah, you have to watch out for that if you're not allowed to use elbows in the ruleset in which you are fighting...

It doesn't happen that often though, and less often when you get a good waist movement in there.
                    practice wu de

Comment

hey shaolin, boxerz may own people like you, but ive trained to box and ive trained mma, and i still keep in touch with my comp fighting guys, but thats not the point, the point is because you have an oppinion about boxerz doesnt mean its the almighty view on strikeing

you say what i said is "crap" why? because my skills are superior? why else would you disagree? boxing has nothing on the power generation shaolin gung fu does, it doesnt even come close, i was trained by a boxer who had over 40 years exp and 2 mma's who comp fight, your telling me boxing is the ultimate in strikeing and your name is shaolinstylee?

shaolin wants to talk like boxerz are hard, ok fine that just defines my oppinion of him, in the end i cant count how many times ive seen a striker get pounded/submitted because they had no ground game, i dont know about shaolin, but ive heard your head makes a wierd sound when you get suplexed on concrete

either way, when it comes to strikeing its a whole different game on the street, i dont care how stupid you are you gotta realise that, boxing is boxing just like forms are forms, fighting is fighting

and please shaolin, dont give me the old bring a gun to the street line, its getting old, and really the only people who say it are reclusive bastards like you who dont have a big enough social life to know that fights happen constantly and people dont always get stabbed or shot, shit happens obviously but thats not the point and you know it
                      "did you ask me to consider dick with you??" blooming tianshi lotus

Comment

shaolinstylee thinks boxing is better for striking, maestro doesn't. please can we leave it at that, just this once?

Comment

but ive heard your head makes a wierd sound when you get suplexed on concrete
                          He does have some interesting viewpoints, and, interesting ways of presenting them. Maestro never ceases to amaze. Gotta love it.
                          Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
                          russbo.com

Comment

and please shaolin, dont give me the old bring a gun to the street line, its getting old, and really the only people who say it are reclusive bastards like you who dont have a big enough social life to know that fights happen constantly and people dont always get stabbed or shot, shit happens obviously but thats not the point and you know it
                            OK, I may have been a bit strong with crap, but lets see... I wasn't saying that people always get shot or stabbed, I'm saying, if you are training to be in a street fight, well, there are other things to look at. I counted on getting into street fights for the last few years, up untill recently, I've also had someone arrested for pulling a gun either way that isn't my point. I was going more down the lines it is how you train, not what you train, for a vast majority of the people in the martial arts. I'd take someone trained in all ranges over someone trained in one or two, over someone who has trained in one, over someone who has done forms. I believe that if a fight lasts for over 30 seconds, athletisism is going to be a desiding factor. I believe that someone who trains to strike with five weapons over a year has a better chance than someone who has trained to strike with 50. Granted that boxing footwork is for the ring, and arguably, gong fu is for the street and battlefield I think the ring can translate well. I also believe that there are too many people out there with too much confidence in there martial ability.

I applaud you for your training, and I've recently gotten the oportunity to start training a lot more of my ground game, which is very, very important.. Now, I'm not saying to bring a gun to the street, we've got too much of that ish going down. I would like to say that in my honest opinion, someone training for the ring will be better in better odds than someone who punches the air. Again, how you train, not what you train, is huge.

I get out bro, I get out too much usually, I've seen and been in more fights than I'd like to admit. I've been knocked out cold, knocked someone out cold, been thrown through a door, broke a window with my back, etc. I know that not all fights in the street go down like in some tv drama.

Again I'm sorry I responded so strong, but I gotta say, when it comes to a street fight, all things being equal, I'd take the boxer after a few years over an average gong fu guy. Granted I said average, not someone that actually hits stuff and people on a regular basis. It is also the view I have on how too many people train as traditional as they think, or as effective. I'm not saying may way is best, as I know I'm a chubby guy from New York who trains three times a week.

All in all, I agree with you over most of this, I just think boxers are really good strikers, not nec. better or worse than gong fu guys, and maybe don't generate as much power over time, but in a training standpoint, are more realistic to the fact they hit people and things more often than the form collector or guy who might spar once every five classes.
                            practice wu de

Comment

Didn't meant to start an argumenet like this. Guess I will just have to keep things like this to myself. By the way, I haven't been in a fight since I've been an adult. Don't really think it makes me any less of a martial artist though.

Comment

Working...
                              X