Shaolin monk weight exercises

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shaolin monk weight exercises

Looking at the shaolin monks muscles it would seem that they do weights but Ive never heard of them doing such. Do they use them or does their muscles develope from different exercises and forms work?

I've rarely seen weight training in Shaolin. Most of the muscle development is from training. They don't get "bulky"; but they do get defined. And skinny. Remember, these are small guys to start with, with little protein intake. They don't get huge like Americans (who also tend to be on steroids )
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
    russbo.com

Comment

There is a few exersises... with stone locks and such, but those aren't too common.
      practice wu de

Comment

yeah, they mostly use bodysweight to get strong but they use also some weights. Here is an article about padlocks and shaolin stones:
        =========
        Peace out!

Comment

Originally posted by doc
          I've rarely seen weight training in Shaolin. Most of the muscle development is from training. They don't get "bulky"; but they do get defined. And skinny. Remember, these are small guys to start with, with little protein intake. They don't get huge like Americans (who also tend to be on steroids )
          So the "Qigong belly " ( ) came from where do you suppose???? lol.............

cheers

Comment

Originally posted by shaolinstylee
            There is a few exersises... with stone locks and such, but those aren't too common.

Yea, heres an image of a monk (or student) with a stone block training.

http://shaolin.nl/tumb/shaolinnl0160.jpg

Comment

The qigong belly probably came from Mortal who talks about how qigong nerds have sucky gong fu. Heh.
              Becoming what I've dreamed about.

Comment

Originally posted by Moshimitsu

Why am I suddenly looking forward to my nxt pilates workout??????

Shaolin pilates and callesthenics..........now there's a cash cow waiting for a milking !!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Moshimitsu

NOW SEE! those are the types of exercises im talking about! are there any sites or info on those type of training methods? PLZ>!
                  "Life is a run. In attack we run, in defense we run. When you can no longer run, time to die" - Shichiroji "Seven samurai"

Comment

I wasn't kidding! It's just callesthenics and bwe with resistance. Try a pilates or yoga dvd and hold a weight while you do it.

Comment

Why don't you just work some wieghts?
                      Becoming what I've dreamed about.

Comment

The advantage of doing it as a callesthenic style exercise is that as the weight you're holding transfers to the grounding or moving limb , you also get the benifit of increased flexibilty and rom at the same time as isometrically in your holding side in varied degrees pending how you distribute it's weight. Worth checking out!

BL

Comment

the exercise he's doing looks like one that builds chi on the right side of your body. i wonder how long hes been holding that position.
                          "Life is a run. In attack we run, in defense we run. When you can no longer run, time to die" - Shichiroji "Seven samurai"

Comment

Shi Xing Wei in Kung Fu Magazine

In the new Kung Fu Magazine May/June 2005 issue, there is an article featuring Shi Xing Wei throwing needles thru glass and demonstrating some exerises using weights. This issue also has another article with Shi De Cheng and his brother.
                            Last edited by Steve; 04-16-2005, 05:19 AM. Reason: To add more
                            I do not have a psychiatrist and I do not want one, for the simple reason that if he listened to me long enough, he might become disturbed.
                            "Life can keep providing the rain and I'll keep providing the parade."
                            "I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle."
                            "Whatever guy said that money don't buy you pleasure didn't know where to go shopping"

Comment

Cool, thanks for the heads up..
                              practice wu de

Comment

Working...
                              X