X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well 2 things that i recommend are

Yi jin jing
    Virgin Boy exercises

After about 2 years of training in yi jin jing (muscle tendon change) you start to do a form, where u go through various parts of your upper body and tighten them as much as possible or u can direct you yi to that part of the body instead of using physical tension.

But sense what u want to do is develop muscular strength then i would suggest tensing the muscles instead of focusing your yi, u could do both if u really wanted to but I have heard that the entire thing can take 90 min.
    I have yet to finish it, u are supposed to tense up various body parts(all in the upper body) up to 50 times and there are 12 different postures in which you are to tense up your muscles. I also have seen several different versions of them but the all seem to have the same benefits.

I personally have not seen alot of physical developement (gain in muscle mass) but i have notice an increase in strength.

I have heard that it definetly will increase your muscle mass if u do it long enough, 50 reps and all postions thought

Virgin boy exersices are called such because they are meant to be practiced when you are a virgin (really means just young).
    It is based off of mostly stretches, some strength building, not for you if your trying to get muscle mass.
    I do think that virgin boy exercises and yi jin jing go well together thats why i suggested them both.( Plus they were both made by damo)

But if u aren't somewhat serious about stretching then i wouldn't bother cause the guy on the vcd might make u feel like a half ass martial artist.

http://www.plumpub.com/sales/vcd/coll_shaolin2.htm
    virgin boy

http://www.plumpub.com/sales/vcd2/coll_shaolin4.htm
    yi jin jing

http://store.yahoo.com/ymaa/qigsecofyout.html
    yi jin jing

Comment

Thanks man, good stuff. But I already feel like a half-assed martial artist.
      Becoming what I've dreamed about.

Comment

Originally posted by LeiYunFat
        Thanks man, good stuff. But I already feel like a half-assed martial artist.
        Well.... its just that the guy on the one vcd is really good.
        But he should be since thats basically all he does is train.

Just noticed that none of that stuff had anything to do with weights.

So....

http://store.yahoo.com/ymaa/chinfaswresf.html
        Its a chinese wrestling book by
        Master Liang, Shou-Yu and Tai D. Ngo

It has some weight lifting exersices that are based around martial arts training.
        I think weightlifting exersices and such were used alot more before Damo visited and taught them about qigong, i think they might have said something like that in this book.(can't remember)

Comment

Originally posted by despairr
          Well 2 things that i recommend are

Yi jin jing
          Virgin Boy exercises

After about 2 years of training in yi jin jing (muscle tendon change) you start to do a form, where u go through various parts of your upper body and tighten them as much as possible or u can direct you yi to that part of the body instead of using physical tension.

But if u aren't somewhat serious about stretching then i wouldn't bother cause the guy on the vcd might make u feel like a half ass martial artist.
          Not a bad post really. Being that we all know though how in actual performance of qigongs the idea is to not be physically tensing so much as teaching your body to allow control by yi , I think you forgot to explain here how by tensing the muscle physically first, then using your yi to maintain and control the contraction while you physically relax your body to recruit a new round of MUs for a fresh concentrated physical contraction of that same group being held by your yi, you can end up with a much stronger contraction ( as though against more resistance having the new base level of active strength set higher ) and potential strength output ( as your accumulated stored qi is released or converted to moving qi ) anf get a much more efficient workout and utilisation . Iron body at it's best ha

cheers
          Last edited by blooming tianshi lotus; 04-16-2005, 10:41 PM.

Comment

Forum User Awakened nature,

Please refer to 72 Arts of Shaolin.

Shaolin can get much more than muscular.

The choise of the way of teraining plays a significant role you know.

Human body potential is far greater than any steroid yet who ara the ones to unveil it's(human bodies)true potential ?

P.s.:Ask anything

Comment

To build muscle you need to eat a caloric surplus (in addition to the right nutrients)...these guys don't really eat that much.

They can lift all they want, and for all we know, they do (they don't, according to our experts), but if you're not eating enough, you won't grow.

Comment

on that note, you can indeed get plentiful protein on a vegetarian diet from eating a good quantity and wide variety of plant-based protein. most vegetarian diets easily meet or exceed the necessary requirement of protein intake. in fact, many vegetarians have a higher intake of protein than many meat-eaters based on this simple fact- the protein source- a variety of plant-based intake rather than meat-based protein.

Comment

Meat proteins are significantly different from fruit and vegetable proteins, as I'm sure Doc can attest. THe reason a lot of vegetarians get more protein than the average meat eater is because...they have to. They have to mind their diets. Most "meat eaters"...everyone else, doesn't really do this.

Comment

I've been vegetarian for 6 years now. I have been training in Gongfu for 5 of those years. I never feel weak. I never try to get more protien into my diet. I eat a shitton of veggies and sometimes even try to back off on the amount of carbs. I had a physical a year or so back and the result ? I couldn't be in better shape. No problems at all from my lack of meat intake.

If I run a lot, I loose mass. If I lift a lot, I get bigger. It's no different from when I was eating meat. Studies might say different, but I'm living proof that you can live a vegetarian life style and still be a strong martial artist.

Now if my goal was to become a hugh body builder, then yes, I would need to increase my protien intake, but so does a meat eater.

Anyway, the bottom line is if I keep eating just how I eat now, but I spend more time lifting weights then I will get bigger and stronger. No doubt about that. The first year I worked at a gym I lifted 4 times a week and got bigger.

However, if we're talking body builder big, I need to change my diet, but so does the meat eater.
                    "Winners turn to losers, losers are forgotten..." - A Tribe Called Quest

Comment

Building and gaining muscle and mass has to do with calories just as much as it has to do with nutrition. I know of people who eat like complete shit, but they eat a lot of it, and they gain.

That is to say, whether you're a vegetarian, or a damn carnivore, and you eat a lot (while lifting), you will get bigger.

Comment

Forum User LeiYunFat,

Shaolin Masters and Monks can breath also...

Sometimes the ways of training may take the role of a sculptor

Comment

Yeah Lei Yun Fat, Shaolin Masters can "breath" also... WHat ?

I thought it was a question of protien intake untill after I posted. Then I saw it was calories, not protien, and yes, I eat like a dam pig. It's one of my favorite hobbies actually. When I'm happy I eat to celebrate. When I'm sad, I eat to pacify. By all normal standards I should be a complete fatass ! I guess I have a good metabolism.

True, you are a product of what you eat. Milk is actually really popular over here now and as a product I have 15 year old students who are taller than me, and I'm 6'1" !!! I've even met girls here who are bit for bit as tall as I am.

Hey, they say milk does a body good, right ???

Comment

baiwanxi-

we are very similar. but i can add to it. i was a martial artist before i became vegetarian. after i gave up meat i felt my endurance and strength has increased a ton. perhaps because its takes longer to digest meat. a vegetarian diet is much cleaner to my system, i feel. a much purer form of raw energy from the earth. it has given me a great energy boost.

i'm the same height as you but i've always been thin. i have a very high metabolism, i guess. and the practice of qigong doesnt help slow it down. so i can eat like a pig and hardly gain weight. but when i lift weights i do get bigger.

and leiyunfat,

vegetarians dont necessarily have to mind their diets, especially lacto-ovo vegetarians. and the protein intake requirement is the same. vegetarians just have to eat a wider variety of foods to reach that, but do very easily. i dont really mind my diet at all. (besides making sure animal parts arent used in the foods i eat, like gelatin in yogurt) i just eat a lot of what i like. a wide variety means more good food munch on.

vegans, i'd say are the ones who have to mind their diets. they have a much harder time. but even long time vegans can get used to what to look for and no longer have to be too mindful. its a skill. but a much more active part of their life than a vegetarian.

i just eat what i like. a lot and a wide variety, and everything is taken care of. i dont have to mind anything more than a meat eater would.

Comment

Hmmm, well it sounds to me like you two can...breathe...and...sculpt...?

I guess that's what I was trying to get at -- vegans. I'm aware that vegan is the extreme end of the spectrum, but when someone says they are vegetarian, there are so many types that I often assume the most extreme of cases, when in reality, a lot of types of vegetarianism are healthy and easily do-able.

Comment

Yes. I can "breath..and, uh, sculpt."

Actually, I think I'll go breath and sculpt out a big poop right now !

Byebye...

Comment

Working...
                                X