No announcement yet.

Mantis Boxing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

six harmonies style praying mantis has some footwork similar to xing yi, stylee, that may be what you've seen. Most mantis has a base of monkey footwork.
    Whatever doesn't kill me had better be able to run damn fast.

"You are one of the most self-deluded immature idiots I've come across here for a time..." —Blooming T. Lotus

Comment

Any one practice 'White Gibbon' mantis? Bai Yuan Tang Lang Quan? I believe this is the Mantis style I will learn next (year).

Comment

I have Bai Yuan Tao To (oh please forgive my horrible phonetic spelling), it's White Ape Steals the Peach... A nice set I picked up last year. I used to know white ape exits cave but have forgotten most of it....
        Whatever doesn't kill me had better be able to run damn fast.

"You are one of the most self-deluded immature idiots I've come across here for a time..." —Blooming T. Lotus

Comment

Originally posted by plumflower_pm
          I have Bai Yuan Tao To (oh please forgive my horrible phonetic spelling), it's White Ape Steals the Peach... A nice set I picked up last year. I used to know white ape exits cave but have forgotten most of it....
          Ahhh...never forget practice them till they are like walking.

Comment

When you have 20 sets or more, some of them seem to fade a little....
            practice wu de

Comment

I see, I fully understand. It was humor though. When it comes to forms, I try and drill them in not just to remeber them for my own calisthenics, but to use the techniques effeciently in combat, so when it comes to Shaolin, even if I learn a form in a week or a month, I'll drill it and spar with it for a year, or 6 mos at least.
              With ninjutsu, there arent many forms persay but combat training for technique effeciency is optimized. (velocity, and precision)(breathing and focus of power in strike delivery, I try to polish these aspets in every form or technique I learn)
              Internal arts I do the same. If I forget it, that means it has no use in combat, or it serves no purpose to my growth in training, I'd call it trash.
              But I do understand that your methods are different and may bring on different results for better or worse, but I'm sure you train in a way that best suites you and your reason for training, as I do for me.

Arigato, Sore dewa mata

Comment

Hello everyone, I'm new here. I'm 17 and have been in martial arts for 5 years.

I thought I might be able to help on this debate as I practise 8 Step Mantis and Shanxi Style Xingyi.

Xingyi has five basic techniques which are trained to a very high level using internal training and a LOT of practise.

8-Step Mantis has a much larger range of techniques and it takes longer to learn the basics. Unlike Xingyi, 8-Step Mantis uses Shaolin stances and many Shaolin methods like Lohan and Yi Jin Jing.

I personally prefer Mantis as I find it to be vary varied and subtle. Xingyi is however a fantastic system, particularly for fighting purposes- Pi Chuan is a fantastic technique!

I hope this has helped! If anyone has any questions I am happy to answer them!

S

Comment

Working...
                X