Thailand Terrorism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thailand Terrorism

Just wondering after hearing stuff on the news about al quita trying to setup shop in the philipines, how secure the area is.
    "If you want pure self-defense buy a can of mace." Grandmaster Villari (I think that is it).

The Philipines or Thailand?
    -Jesse Pasleytm
    "How do I know? Because my sensei told me!"

Comment

The only half assed attempt at a terrorist looking thing on this island, is me.

Good question.

The Thai's have an interesting way of dealing with radical elements here. They kill them.

A few months ago, in the deep south, where there are Muslims wanting separation from Thailand (between Thailand and Malaysia; the Malay's don't want them either), there are daily attacks on Buddhists there. It's over 500 km from Phuket. It's not an Al Queda issue; it's purely a separatism issue, one which the local Muslims in Phuket want nothing to do with. The Muslims in the rest of the country find their behavior ridiculous, as they're smart enough to realize that this country depends primarily on tourism, and any sort of terrorist nonsense here would destroy the country's economy. The local Muslims find this sort of separatist behavior stupid, as they do the international Al Queda stuff. They're not a problem. Hell, they even like me.

Which, probably doesn't say much about their judgement abilities.

Two weeks ago, a radical separatist (not a radical Islamist, there is a difference) blew up the airport at Hat Yai, which is based in the southern SongKla province. (far from Phuket). It was quite the stir here, as this was the first time that a separatist left the three disputed provinces down south, and caused problems in the predominantly Buddhist other regions down south. It was not on international news. And, they have already caught the guy. The local Buddhists want nothing to do with this shit, and they go to great lengths to help the police.

In the southern three provinces where there are problems, Pattani, Yala, and Narathiwat, the separatists are shooting local Buddhists on a fairly regular basis. The police and military have responded by giving the local Buddhists guns to protect themselves. Also, because these people all kind of look alike, the police have spies buried deeply within the separatists movements, to the point that they can largely predict their actions. In the event a few months ago, where all those people died on trucks, well, that wasn't the whole story....

The police knew that a group of these separatists were going to attack a police station one day, so they got prepared. The local miltary helped them out. When a few hundred of these crazed and drugged out separatists started to attack the police station with knives, the police and military opened up with automatic weapons. When the militants turned and ran away, the police pulled out the grenade launchers. It was a slaughter. And, a lesson learned.

In another event, which was widely publicized, again, separatists attacked a police station, which was prepared. The police suppressed them, about two hundred of them, and drove over a hundred of the well known militants around for six to eight hours, bound in such a way, and packed so tightly in the back of these trucks, that over a hundred died on the way.

They have an interesting justice system here. One, which, I might add, treats foreigners in a very fair way.

In fact, crimes against foreigners here are really looked down upon, and are punished severely. Remember, Thailand not only loves its foreigners, it needs them. So, Thai law severely reprimands any locals that might tarnish the Thai "appearance" to the world.

I feel terribly safe here. In fact, safer here than I do in the US. The local people are awesome. The police have been very friendly to me (they do occasional traffic stops at roadblocks, looking for Muslim separatists; they also smile and talk to the big bald one).

The Phillipines, I can assure you, is a mess. I was there last summer. Read my Journals. Crime is rampant. Security is everywhere. It's truly a horrible situation there. The Phillipinos are dealing with radical Muslim extremists, not separatists. Religion is not the reason for the problems in Thailand; a home land for these people in the three southern provinces is.

It's kind of stupid, as these people have nothing. If the Thai government let them set up their own little state down there, they'd starve. They get no tourists (their activities have stopped all Malaysian tourists to the area), and they have no other economy. What they're doing to themselves is pure idiocy. And they're too ignorant to see that. But, nobody ever said that we deal with smart people in the world.

Thailand is safe to come to. It's a lovely country that treats foreigners with kid gloves, and deals with crime in a quick and effective fashion. Phuket is very safe, as it is an island with only one road exit. Any "event" on the close knit island, where "everybody knows each other", results in the bridge being closed, and the surrounding waters watched by the Navy and police helicopters. Things don't "happen" here, because there is no escape. There is no "hiding" in the local population. And because Asia's wealthy live here, no bullshit is tolerated. Phuket is the Monte Carlo of the East, and nonsense is not tolerated.
      Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
      russbo.com

Comment

Damn, the underworld "loaned" me money. Three grand.

Wonder what they expect in return...
        Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

russbo.com

Comment

Okay, I was wondering how that would get taken, glad you thought it was a good question doc.
          "If you want pure self-defense buy a can of mace." Grandmaster Villari (I think that is it).

Comment

I'm starting to think I need to spend some vacation time in phuket. Do they have an abundunce of classy, clean massage parlors (both thai massage, and thai happy ending massage) over there?

Napa valley is my vacation for this weekend though, god is it going to be fun.
            Show me a man who has forgotten words, so that I can have a word with him.

Comment

Napa valley is my vacation for this weekend though, god is it going to be fun.
              Nice, have fun...
              practice wu de

Comment

Most places are clean, and respectable, though "classy" is something that I would reserve for the larger hotels (incredible is another word, but, you'll pay for those).

russbo.com

Comment

Yeah, Doc, I can really understand what your saying when you comment on feeling safer in Thailand. I feel the same way in Taiwan. It's somewhat strange how we can be more respected outside our own countries and are able to take our gloves off, so to speak. For example, you really never have to act like a tuff guy, cause, well, most men don't need to project that kind of image; they're more home oriented.

g
                  ZhongwenMovies.com

Comment

Acting like a tough guy in Thailand, or Asia for that matter, will only bring you trouble. Asian people tend to be much nicer, without airs or attitudes, and they really admire westerners who act the same.

Again, the whole "face" issue comes into play, even in your everyday get togethers with people. Treat them with friendship and respect, and you get it back ten fold.

Americans have much to learn, I hate to admit.

russbo.com

Comment

Thai terrorists 'target resorts'
                      Natalie O'Brien
                      January 11, 2006 JEMAAH Islamiah-linked terrorists in southern Thailand are believed to be planning to transform their insurgency from attacks against the Thai state to bombings of Western tourists.

US terrorism expert Zachary Abuza has told The Australian that the Muslim insurgency could spread from the hinterland to beach resorts, such as Phuket, frequented by Western tourists. Dr Abuza will tell the Foreign Correspondents Club in Bangkok tonight there are also reasons to believe that JI may become involved in such a plan being hatched by Thai insurgents.
                      The two-year insurgency, which has killed more than a thousand people, has until this point been dominated by attacks against symbols of the Thai state, such as police stations, and dominant religion, such as Buddhist temples.
                      Attacks against Western tourists would mark a turning point in Thailand's war on terror, and Dr Abuza said the shift could be being driven by JI's sense of Islamist obligation to join battle with fellow Muslims.

"An attack on an out-of-area soft target is being considered as an option. They have not ruled it out," he said yesterday. "They would target Phuket because, like Bali, it is a soft target that would severely impact the economy and drive away foreigners in droves."
                      The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade has issued general travel warnings for Thailand, advising travellers to "exercise a high degree of caution ... because of the high threat of terrorist attack".
                      "We continue to receive reports that terrorists are planning attacks against a range of targets, including places frequented by foreigners," the DFAT website warns. But the threats have been more specific, with past intelligence acknowledging that the areas of Phuket, Pattong Pattaya, Bangkok and the island of Samui could be targeted.
                      Another terrorism expert, Rohan Gunaratna, also warned this week that terrorists were likely to attack Bangkok within the year.
                      Neil Fergus, the chief executive of Intelligence Risks, said tourist spots including beach resorts had been broadly considered as targets, but Bangkok remained the biggest problem.
                      Not sure how much of an issue this really is. Not going to keep me away...

russbo.com

Comment

does this affect the area where your school is?
                        "What is barely legal?" - Ali G

Comment

It doesn't affect anything, at least, not yet. They've had this muslim separatist movement going on now for a few hundred years. But, apparently, just recently, other extremists from other countries are getting involved, as they are all over the world. The Thai's deal with them rather aggressively; they certainly don't want any problems when it comes to foreigner safety. I've heard of things happening over there that aren't publicized in the world news. Let's just say that the Thai's take care of things, as the Israeli's do.

russbo.com

Comment

Just build an electric fence around the school, a few gun turrets here and there and tony jaa at the gate (with a machine gun just in case suicide bombers fail to be in awe of his MT prowess).

Maybe sprinkle a few mines around also for good measure.

Oh and kill instantly anyone that doesn't know the secret russbo handshake..

On the bright side Iran is going nuclear and the world is about to go to hell.. a thai island is probably one of the safest places to be now.

Comment

The safest place to be would be France. Because if the shit starts to hit the fan, France will either surrender or be conquered relatively quickly and cleanly.

Either that or with the very neutral swiss. But you'd have to beware of avalanches and all that.
                              Becoming what I've dreamed about.

Comment

Working...
                              X