Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thailand Terrorism

Thai terrorists 'target resorts'
    Natalie O'Brien
    January 11, 2006 JEMAAH Islamiah-linked terrorists in southern Thailand are believed to be planning to transform their insurgency from attacks against the Thai state to bombings of Western tourists.

US terrorism expert Zachary Abuza has told The Australian that the Muslim insurgency could spread from the hinterland to beach resorts, such as Phuket, frequented by Western tourists. Dr Abuza will tell the Foreign Correspondents Club in Bangkok tonight there are also reasons to believe that JI may become involved in such a plan being hatched by Thai insurgents.
    The two-year insurgency, which has killed more than a thousand people, has until this point been dominated by attacks against symbols of the Thai state, such as police stations, and dominant religion, such as Buddhist temples.
    Attacks against Western tourists would mark a turning point in Thailand's war on terror, and Dr Abuza said the shift could be being driven by JI's sense of Islamist obligation to join battle with fellow Muslims.

"An attack on an out-of-area soft target is being considered as an option. They have not ruled it out," he said yesterday. "They would target Phuket because, like Bali, it is a soft target that would severely impact the economy and drive away foreigners in droves."
    The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade has issued general travel warnings for Thailand, advising travellers to "exercise a high degree of caution ... because of the high threat of terrorist attack".
    "We continue to receive reports that terrorists are planning attacks against a range of targets, including places frequented by foreigners," the DFAT website warns. But the threats have been more specific, with past intelligence acknowledging that the areas of Phuket, Pattong Pattaya, Bangkok and the island of Samui could be targeted.
    Another terrorism expert, Rohan Gunaratna, also warned this week that terrorists were likely to attack Bangkok within the year.
    Neil Fergus, the chief executive of Intelligence Risks, said tourist spots including beach resorts had been broadly considered as targets, but Bangkok remained the biggest problem.
    Not sure how much of an issue this really is. Not going to keep me away...
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
    russbo.com

does this affect the area where your school is?

It doesn't affect anything, at least, not yet. They've had this muslim separatist movement going on now for a few hundred years. But, apparently, just recently, other extremists from other countries are getting involved, as they are all over the world. The Thai's deal with them rather aggressively; they certainly don't want any problems when it comes to foreigner safety. I've heard of things happening over there that aren't publicized in the world news. Let's just say that the Thai's take care of things, as the Israeli's do.
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
    russbo.com

Just build an electric fence around the school, a few gun turrets here and there and tony jaa at the gate (with a machine gun just in case suicide bombers fail to be in awe of his MT prowess).

Maybe sprinkle a few mines around also for good measure.

Oh and kill instantly anyone that doesn't know the secret russbo handshake..

On the bright side Iran is going nuclear and the world is about to go to hell.. a thai island is probably one of the safest places to be now.

The safest place to be would be France. Because if the shit starts to hit the fan, France will either surrender or be conquered relatively quickly and cleanly.

Either that or with the very neutral swiss. But you'd have to beware of avalanches and all that.
    Becoming what I've dreamed about.

m'eh got plenty of "terrorist cells", where i live but nothings ever gone through
    don't think you need to worry too much, al queada hates everythign western, so i don't think thailand is a target

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12