Practice Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Practice Time

How much time should one devote to forms practice each day?

Matuke

What is your goal?

How much free time do you have?
    -Jesse Pasleytm
    "How do I know? Because my sensei told me!"

Comment

Practice Time

Pazman, my goal is to become a competent Martial Artist. I have about 5 hrs
      of free time on average per day as I worked 45-55 hrs per week. Thank you for your response.

Matuke

Comment

I think it depends on what sort of forms you do.
        But i think i remember hearing you should do each form 3 times.
        But if the form is a long form i only do it once.

Comment

I don't even practice forms daily. I'm too good.

Nah really though. Up to 20 times a day if you are just learning it and maybe 1-5 times a day when you've got it down pat. That was advised to me by my teacher.

But don't dedicate all your time to forms practice, it will get too monotanous, especially if you know only a handful of forms. There are other ways you can mix up training to become a compotent martial artist. There are some threads dedicated to this sort of thing (I am not talking about smoking weed, either.)

These threads are numerous and can be found in the Shaolin Training Concepts and Shaolin Gong fu sections.

http://x.russbo.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=64 Training concepts

http://x.russbo.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=63 gong fu
          Becoming what I've dreamed about.

Comment

training forms in my oppinion is great..like all systems your forms are just a manifestation of your systems core elements and basic energys, various systems train various energys and practice under different principles but in the end the goal is the same. which like all martial artists is to have powerful strikes, solid techniques and combat strategy, stamina, agility etc etc

in shaolin it is a little different then other schools, for instance shaolin gung fu is very broad but in the end the basic requirements to excell are the same

the great thing about forms is no matter how good you think you are you can always get better, and when you train the form you train yourself on many different levels, because you must have the internal qi energy aswell as the external mechanics to develope your true power, and this leads in time to a more mind/body/spirit practice which in the end produces better results then say repetitively hitting a bag for "power" or doing kicking and punching drills, not to say that they dont have their place, my point is only that forms are meant to develope a different kind of energy which is gung fu energy

you have to know what your doing to get the best results out of your forms practice, and that can only come from more practice, so the number of times you train your forms is up to how well you wish to be at applying your art
            "did you ask me to consider dick with you??" blooming tianshi lotus

Comment

I try to get an hour a day in on forms, at various intesities. Sometimes just a few walkthroughs, sometimes holding the stances for a second or two, sometimes all out.
              practice wu de

Comment

I also think it has to depend on what your goals are. You want to be a competent martial artist, well, forms practice is a good addition to your overall routine. I would say do as much as you can, but don't always hold yourself to a time limit. Be flexible. Sometimes are bodies can do A LOT, and sometimes we shouldn't push so hard. Listen to your body.

If you can do an hour without encountering problems, then -- if your overall training time allows this -- up your time to an hour and a half. If you can do longer than that, then try to add some time as you go and so on. Just listen and add when necessary. Everyone is different.

g
                ZhongwenMovies.com

Comment

If you have access to heavy bags, sparring partners, mats, and a good coach/teacher, then I would say you probably need to spend more time with those than forms. For solo practice, or if you are just starting out, however, forms are excellent. For example, I'm usually able to make it to the gym or dojo everyday, so I might only spend 30 minutes on forms that day. On days where my schedule doesn't permit me to go, I'll go to the park and maybe spend 2 hours on basics and forms.

My advice would be to do a variety of activities...and just enjoy training. Don't worry about becoming competent, you'll find that the more you train, the deeper the study becomes, it never ends.
                  -Jesse Pasleytm
                  "How do I know? Because my sensei told me!"

Comment

An hour of forms is great if you've got a teacher next to you. An hour of forms with instrusction usually leaves me wanting more, but an hour of forms by myself gets old quick. I'll run through one form maybe once or twice every so often just so I don't forget the intricasies(sp) but that is about it. I rarely ever get instruction, so it's not like I have to practise anything new.

To train, I tend to do more stance training, punch/kick/balance drills, bag, repeated form moves, or strength training like pushups.

However, form practice is one of the best ways to become a compotent martial artist, like you want to be.

Forms do much more than train you physically, they help you focus as a sort of moving meditation.
                    Becoming what I've dreamed about.

Comment

If you have 5 hours a day, I'd warm up with forms and then find somebody to spar for a couple hours. Oh to have 5 free hours a day....

if you're looking to imporve at your forms, you really could spend as much time on them as you can without losing focus - once you get sloppy and tired, train something else.

I train my forms different ways: real slow and low, with iron rings, all out... keeps it interesting.
                      Whatever doesn't kill me had better be able to run damn fast.

"You are one of the most self-deluded immature idiots I've come across here for a time..." —Blooming T. Lotus

Comment

Working...
                      X