Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sudden Acute Respiratory Syndrome

SARS

This Public Announcement is being issued to alert Americans that the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) has issued a travel advisory and health alert notices, which are being distributed at ports of entry to people returning from the three SARS-affected regions. CDC advises that people planning elective or nonessential travel to mainland China and Hong Kong; Singapore; and Hanoi, Vietnam, may wish to postpone their trips until further notice. This Public Announcement expires on June 26, 2003. The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) and the World Health Organization (WHO) are tracking SARS's origin and method of transmission as well as determining how its spread can be contained. In light of the continually evolving nature of the geographic spread of SARS, American citizens should regularly consult the CDC website <http://www.cdc.gov/> http://www.cdc.gov/ and the WHO website <ttp://www.who.int/> http://www.who.int/ for updates. American citizens currently in or planning to travel to SARS-affected areas of Asia should consult the Department of State's Fact Sheet on SARS <http://travel.state.gov/s_syndrome_factsheet.html>, Public Announcements, Travel Warnings, and Consular Information Sheets for China, Hong Kong, Singapore, and Vietnam, all of which are available at the Consular Affairs Internet web site at <http://travel.state.gov>. American citizens may also contact the Department of State toll-free at 1-888-407-4747, or if calling from overseas, 317-472-2328, for SARS information.
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
    russbo.com

China Travel Warning
    United States Department of State
    Bureau of Consular Affairs
    Washington, DC 20520

April 10, 2003

This Travel Warning is being revised to recommend that U.S. citizens consider deferring non-essential travel to China because of Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS) concerns and to inform them of the Chinese government's current requirements for anyone exhibiting SARS-like symptoms. This Travel Warning supersedes the Travel Warning of April 3, 2003.

On April 3, 2003, the Department of State authorized the departure, on a voluntary basis, of non-emergency employees and all family members at the U.S. Embassy in Beijing and the Consulates General in Chengdu, Shanghai, Shenyang, Guangzhou and Hong Kong SAR, China as a precautionary measure due to the SARS situation. The Embassy and all Consulates General remain open to provide the full range of services to American citizens and the general public.

Any individual in China, including foreigners, who displays SARS-like symptoms will be sent to a hospital designated for SARS patients until the contagious phase has passed. The patient cannot be visited by his/her own doctor, by family members, or by U.S. consular officials. Medical evacuation by air from China currently cannot be arranged because no commercial airlines or air ambulance services are willing to transport SARS patients. Further, most countries in the region have indicated they will not admit SARS patients for treatment. All of these factors, in addition to continuing uncertainties about how SARS is spread, and concerns about obtaining suitable medical care and/or evacuating those who contract SARS, led to the Department of State decision to authorize, on a voluntary basis, the departure of official non-emergency employees and all family members from China. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends U.S. citizens consider deferring non-essential travel to areas with a large number of SARS cases, including Mainland China and Hong Kong. U.S. citizens resident or traveling in these areas should closely monitor the website of the Centers for Disease Control <http://Centers for Disease Control> and Prevention at www.cdc.gov and the website of the World Health Organization <http://www.who.int> at www.who.int for the latest information on SARS. For further information on travel to China, U.S. citizens should also consult the Department of State's Consular Information Sheets for China and Hong Kong and the SARS Public Announcement, at <http://travel.state.gov>.
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

russbo.com

Comment

Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS) Public Announcement U.S. DEPARTMENT OF STATE Office of the Spokesman

April 11, 2003

This Public Announcement alerts Americans that the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued a number of travel advisories for Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS), which are being posted on its web site (www.cdc.gov). Also posted is a current list of SARS-affected countries. Health alert notices are being distributed at U.S. airports to people arriving from SARS-affected areas. Americans planning travel to SARS-affected areas should monitor the CDC's web site for the latest information. In addition, Americans should be aware that some countries may bar entry to those travelers arriving from SARS-affected areas. U.S. citizens may wish to check with Embassies and/or Consulates of countries they plan to visit prior to travel. Prospective parents of adoptees in SARS-affected countries should consult the appropriate link on adoptions at the CDC website, www.cdc.gov/ncidod/sars/adoption.htm. This supersedes the Public Announcement issued on March 28, 2003, and the Fact Sheet on SARS issued on March 28, 2003. This Public Announcement expires on
      May 1August 11, 2003.

The CDC and the World Health Organization (WHO) are tracking SARS's origin and method of transmission, as well as determining how its spread can be contained. In light of the continually evolving nature of the geographic spread of SARS, American citizens should regularly consult the CDC's website
      (www.cdc.gov) and the WHO's website (www.who.int) for updates.

Strong efforts are being made to contain SARS. Countries have implemented measures such as mandatory screening of incoming passengers at airports, and persons with SARS-like symptoms may be quarantined and/or sent to designated hospitals until the authorities are satisfied they do not have SARS. U.S. Government employees in SARS-affected countries who are known to have had contact with a SARS-infected person have been instructed not to go to work until 7-10 days after the last contact with that person. Medical evacuation currently cannot be arranged from SARS-affected areas, because no commercial airlines or air ambulance services are willing to transport SARS patients.

Most SARS cases appear to involve health-care workers caring for SARS patients and close family contacts. The CDC is working closely with the WHO and country partners to define the origin of this infection, to track patterns of its transmission, and to determine effective strategies for its control and prevention.

The CDC has identified the following three criteria, which must ALL be present, by which a potential SARS case may be identified:

--Fever greater than 38° C (100.4°F), AND

--One or more signs or symptoms of respiratory illness including cough, shortness of breath, difficulty breathing, hypoxia (low oxygen in the blood), x-ray findings of pneumonia, or respiratory distress, AND

-- One or more of the following within 2-10 days of the onset of symptoms: Travel to mainland China, Hong Kong, Singapore, or Vietnam; and/or close contact*, with a person who has been infected with SARS (*close contact means having cared for, lived with, or having had direct contact with respiratory secretions (such as coughs and sneezes) and body fluids of a person with SARS).

The incubation period between exposure to infection and the development of symptoms appears to range from 2-10 days. Currently, prevention of new cases is based on individuals avoiding close contact with SARS-infected persons as described above. Persons matching the case description for SARS should be promptly evaluated by medical personnel and notify local health authorities. Persons suspected of having SARS should severely limit their interactions with others.

russbo.com

Comment

June 7th, some Arizona newspaper:

During the lengthy trip by taxi and bus to Deng Seng in Henan province, the vehicles were stopped periodically so that authorities could take the body temperature of the passengers and spray their feet and the vehicle's floorboards and door handles with a bleach solution, Steuver said. When he arrived in Deng Seng, people were surprised that a foreigner had gotten that far into the country during the SARS scare. The language barrier is another problem, especially during a national crisis, he said.

"They're afraid of contamination from the cities due to the limited health care available in the rural areas," he said.

Steuver is nearing the end of a 14-day quarantine at a hotel during which his condition is checked regularly. He expects to enter the temple soon and then not be allowed to leave for an extended period.

Quarantine for visitors to Shaolin now??? Sounds like Thailand from a few months ago.

If this is the case, I think that people who are planning on going to China might want to reconsider.

(I'm supposed to leave next week....)

russbo.com

Comment

The quarantine thing in Shaolin apparently is a real issue. I've heard about this ten day to two week mandatory quarantine for foreigners going to Dengfeng, however, my Beijing friend just went to Shaolin, and did not have to undergo quarantine. It might have to do with presence of fever or cough.

I have contacted some friends in China who are relatively high up in the government totem pole; I should have an answer about this issue tomorrow.

russbo.com

Comment

From a close friend in Beijing:

dear mr.russell,
            its a pleasure to talk to u early this morning. precautions are very tight and permeated even though sars is almost over here. the government and people in beijing learned through past two months.its a great lesson thru loss. happy to learn that u r coming back. i called instructor shi decheng this morning and asked him to discuss with xx xxxxabout ur nest visit after checking with local authorities of the present quarantine requirements for visitors from abroad. i believe xx xxx will communicate with u soon.brgds
            xxx

russbo.com

Comment

SARS Quarantine Update

I just spoke with a friend in Dengfeng. Here is the latest on the quarantine issue in Dengfeng:

They stopped the mandatory 14 day hotel/house arrest quarantine for all foreigners. At the present time, only those foriegners who exhibit a fever or a cough will be placed in forced quarantine, which usually just takes place in your hotel room.

Knowing well the hotel rooms in Dengfeng, it's a fate worse than death. So make sure you bring your Dayquil.

The SARS thing is virtually nonexistant in Dengfeng now. Also, apparently, in Beijing.

I'll be there in about two weeks. I'll have further updates on this situation then.

doc

russbo.com

Comment

From a close friend in Beijing:

and there is a bad news, maybe you have already known it----- beijing were found 4 SARS persons, one of which has already died of it. there are about hundred people were kept alone. you know , about the same time of last year, the SARS was becoming seriously. i think, it's a heavily disaster for the human ---beings. that's too bad!

Western news agencies:

BEIJING - China confirmed Friday that two laboratory workers have contracted SARS and that the mother of one has died — making her the first apparent SARS fatality in the country since July. Hundreds of people have been quarantined.

I guess it's time for me to go back...

russbo.com

Comment

Working...
                X