Ankle injuries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ankle injuries

Sorry if this is answered elsewhere, but all I could find were answers to knee problems.

I twisted my ankle the other day, nothing serious but enough to notice. I can't really stay off of it because of my job. However, I've been doing ice 20 min. per day, brace while I'm at work or play, when I'm at home the brace comes off and I flex and rotate my foot.

What is the difference between and sprain and a twisted ankle? Are they the same? Should an ankle brace stay on all the time or only when you need the extra support during the recovery time? Should a heating pad also be applied or is ice enough?

Thanks for the help.

When I was back in high school I would basketball at every possible free chance I could get. Over the years I would sprain my ankle almost atleast once or twice a year. Usually from rolling the ankle by landing on someone elses foot.

I found the best way to heal them, If i couldnt walk it off (usually in some attempt to keep playing), I would ice it for 10 mins on, 20 mins off, and that was usually only for the first 24-48 hours. This would help stop the swelling. After this period I would then use a heat pack, which would help in blood circulation. All the while keeping the injured ankle elevated above chest level. So Id be lying down on the couch or bed with the foot on a few pillows or so. With either the ice or heat pack on.

I would usually keep the movement of that ankle limited for the first few days whilst walking around. But I would exercise it slightly with small movements like inverting the foot inward and outward, aswell as pointing the foot down and bringing it back up.

In regards to wearing a brace or strapping it up for protection, I would use it for a few days when walking on it, until I felt like I could handle everyday things with out them. Once I was home though Id take it off, and never use them whilst sleeping. When it came to finally returning to doing sport or anything abit touchy on the ankle, I would also strap it. Until I felt confident it could handle itself.

I hope this can help you in anyway healing your ankle. Seemed to work for me

Comment

RICE is sort of the rule of thumb...

Rest
      Ice
      Compression
      Elevate

or something along those lines.
      practice wu de

Comment

A sprain is a "twisted ankle". In fact, twisted ankle means just that; an ankle that has just been, well, twisted. And twisted, as in physically twisted, not twisted, as in BL, oh, forget that.

The ligaments which hold the joint together, and the tendons which traverse the joint, can stretch and tear, given a situation where the limits of the joint have been over extended. These stretches and tears cause pain and swelling, as do most injuries to human tissue. The problem is, it is the swelling that causes most of the pain; swelling of tissue compartments causes stretch receptors to make "pain" signals. So, the key to minimizing pain, is to minimize swelling. Decreasing swelling, allows more blood flow to the area, with the result of more healing capability.

You diminish swelling by resting the joint; the more activity, the more continued damage, the more swelling. Ice also diminishes swelling by its vasoconstrictive properties. You have to give things a rest, so that the capillary leaks in the area heal, which decreases the amount of fluid that accumulates in the local tissues. Using an ankle brace, at all times, keeps the joint from moving aberrantly, which diminishes further swelling. You should use the brace as your physician recommends, which probably is, for at least two weeks or more, depending upon how severe the injury was. Taking the brace off, while the area is still injured, does nothing but continue the injury and inflammatory process; this decreases healing capability. You can work on flexibility again, once the tissues start to heal.

Ice should be used for 24 to 48 hours, on and off, but not to the point where it causes freeze damage to the skin and underlying structures. Generally speaking, one to two days is considered enough to allow the capillary leak situation to subside. At that point, using heat to increase blood flow to the area is suggested by some; causing vasodilation in the now "healed" vascular supply will help bring accumulated edema fluid away from the injured area, and will further allow the injured area to heal. Keeping the joint immobile with a brace keeps the joint safe from further and continued injury.

Also, a very significant treatment modality is elevation of the affected area; keeping the area high, above the heart, decreases venous pressure in the injured area. This results in less edema formation, which, subsequently allows faster healing, and less pain.

After the joint has "healed", ie, provides no pain and is more "comfortable", a gentle and slow rehabilitation to promote movement and flexibility can be undertaken. The joint more than likely will return to normal, in most cases; it just takes time for the healing process to take place. Initially, because of the swelling, and scar tissue formation with subsequent contraction, there might be a sensation of diminished movement in the joint area. Again, with removal of edema fluid, and healing of reparative scar tissue, the joint can eventually be moved. This movement will cause the healing tissue to stretch, if necessary, over time, to allow full range of movement in the joint. Also, another factor to diminished movement in a joint area, is associated muscle spasm. When a joint is injured, one of the first things the body does, is cause spasm of the associated muscles, a move which helps prevent further movement, and thus further injury, of the joint. This spasm not only diminishes range of motion of the joint, but can also cause further pain; significant pain if the injured joint is in the spinal column.

Range of motion will increase, as associated peri-articular muscle spasm diminishes, and as localized edema formation goes away.
        Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
        russbo.com

Comment

Working...
        X