Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Russbo Thailand School: Russboasia

[Moved to a new thread as requested]

i just read the stuff about Doc's school in Phuket, Thailand....now that seems like a pretty good school, but i have a few questions....

How much for a year of Gung Fu training?(Approx.)
    How has the recent tsunami affected the school/hotels?(if at all)
    Am I being led on when it says on the site that it is real kung fu taught by real monks?
    How many students does this school usually have?(Approx.)
    How does this compare with the usual China Shaolin training?(Pros, Cons, Differences, Similarities)
    Is the Gung Fu applicable in real life situations, or is the training mainly forms with no application?
    How long of days should I expect?
    What is the training schedule composed of for the Gung Fu package?

I also sent some similar question to Doc on the contact page of the site, but i'd also like some other points of view on the matter.

Thank you in advance!

I don't think anyone here, Doc excepted, has actually been there.
    practice wu de

Comment

I don't think anyone here, Doc excepted, has actually been there.
      I don't think so either.

You could always enter the Russboasia contest, and if you win, see for yourself.

Comment

Well, concidering it JUST opened... lol
        practice wu de

Comment

i see i see....
          and were do i enter this contest?
          on the russboasia site?

Comment

We were submitting on the thread labelled as such, now, maybe just email it to Doc, or post it, and he'll grab it.
            practice wu de

Comment

Click on Forums/library in the side menu. Scroll down to International Russbo Training Centers (or hit ctrl f, and then enter russboasia and keep hitting "find next" till you get there)

Click on the russboasia link and it'll take you to the contest threads. You might want to hurry though, it sounds like Doc is going to announce winners pretty soon.

Comment

Or just use the forum posts, last two days or something...
                practice wu de

Comment

How much for a year of Gung Fu training?(Approx.)

We don't have a yearly price, and I don't expect that we ever will. From what I've seen on the internet, schools that have yearly prices, also have schemes attached whereby they generate most of their money in the first month, knowing damn well that most people, if not all, don't stay for the entire year. They use a cheap yearly price to entice people to come, and then hit them with first month fees, after which they really couldn't give a shit if the student stayed or not. What usually happens, is that most westerners get disgusted with living in the conditions that these schools have to offer. These schools know that by experience, which is why they do these cheap yearly prices.

We try to keep our prices as low as possible; a monthly price which keeps costs low cannot get any cheaper for a year's worth, unless you want me to subsidize your training personally. As I'm still financially supporting the school in Las Vegas, I really can't afford to do this in Thailand.

We should have an even better pricing structure, once I get our facility taken care of. I am in the middle of a quarter million dollar deal for a facility here, but, because of some other legal nonsense concerning other land that I have bought here, the school facility is delayed. We are in the process of obtaining a headquarters/dormitory on a temporary basis, which will make student's housing much more affordable than the hotel accomodations that I have currently arranged for.

How has the recent tsunami affected the school/hotels?(if at all)

The local economy has taken a hit, which basically allows me to get inexpensive hotel accommmodations for potential students. This won't last long; no doubt in November, hotel prices and tourism will return to normal, which basically means accommodations will rise. I will have some sort of dormitory facilities available (hopefully this month), so this won't be an issue for students.

Oh, the girls in Patong are hungrier now, so, girlfriends are more affordable, LOL.

Am I being led on when it says on the site that it is real kung fu taught by real monks?

No. I think it's pretty clear from this web site that I have genuine associations with experienced traditional, and older, Shaolin masters. We have some younger ones currently in line to come here, with an occasional visit from some of the older ones. It's all in process of being organized. Shi Yong Qiang, who is a close friend of Shi Xing Wei, is currently here helping to set things up; he'll be involved in some teaching, but, mainly, we have others who will come from China on a permanent and rotational basis.

How many students does this school usually have?(Approx.)

Right now we have no international students. We just started advertising last week. And planning international travel to a school, or anywhere for that matter, takes time. We have some local Thai students that we are training, but, we do that pro bono. Local Thai students have no money, and we feel that this is just a small contribution that we can make to the local population. The school is primarily set up for international students, who want good genuine training, without the hassles of going to China. If you have not been to China, then you don't know what I'm talking about.

How does this compare with the usual China Shaolin training?(Pros, Cons, Differences, Similarities)

There is no difference. I make sure that the school in Las Vegas teaches gong fu the same way that it is taught in Shaolin. In fact, I spent quite a lot of time with Shi Xing Wei, teaching him how to teach. His gong fu skills are incredible; his ability to teach was severely lacking. I've known him for many years, so I had quite a lot of time to work with him. And, he with me. We teach the same way here in Thailand, as it is taught in Shaolin, with one exception: we're more interested in teaching at a foreigner level than a domestic Chinese student level. No foreigner wants to spend the first year learning basics. And, we also focus on applications, something which is rarely taught in most Chinese schools. (most, if not all, Chinese schools concentrate on wushu and performance arts; we're more concerned with traditional arts, mainly, because that's what I'm interested in providing. Besides, you haven't seen anything until you've seen doc try to do some of these ridiculous airborne wushu maneuvers....) We will provide some wushu training though; as some of our instructors are younger, and therefore, more wushu inclined.

As you can see from the Shaolin Chan Wu Xue Yuan section of the site (my school in Las Vegas), we currently have students that are sweeping the competitions. The training there is of high quality, and consists of genuine Shaolin gong fu, which is rarely seen in the US. (another reason why our students are really kicking ass). I have no desire to run a low quality facility; in fact, I don't do anything half ass. I have excelled at my career, and my schools will excel in what they intend to provide.

Is the Gung Fu applicable in real life situations, or is the training mainly forms with no application?

Traditional gong fu has real life applications, something which you won't find in wushu schools. I've learned a lot of applications over the years, and it is something that I think should be stressed in gong fu training. But, that's mainly because I've trained a lot with Shi De Cheng, a far more traditional oriented master than most of the guys who are out there now. Ironically, DeCheng is learning "contemporary wushu" now, as he's on the committee in Dengfeng to help formulate it. But if you ask him to teach you some of the new forms that are taught in these schools, he doesn't know them. His training is traditional oriented. I've talked about this before, in some other area of the forum.

How long of days should I expect?

The last time I checked, they were still 24 hours. Even here in Thailand.

What is the training schedule composed of for the Gung Fu package?

Typically, two 2 hour sessions a day, as it is in Shaolin. Other training time is recommended, and available. Because there is so much to do here in Thailand, as opposed to Dengfeng/Shaolin, swimming, diving, snorkeling, bicycling, etc can be interspersed into the day as "training", as opposed to jogging, which is all you can basically do in Dengfeng. Private practice time, and supervised private practice time, is available, just as in China. Training can be as intense, or as peaceful, as you like. I have no interest in running a military style boot camp here, nor do I want to start any sort of cult. If you're looking for a cult atmosphere, go to Hungary. We are trying to keep this interesting and informative, so that people learn. And enjoy.

Also, the social life here in Thailand is unparalleled. Now, of course, we don't stress that side of life here, but, there is much more to do here in Phuket at night than you'll ever find in Dengfeng. In fact, it might even be detrimental to your training, something that we're going to have to keep an eye on. There's plenty of opportunity for relaxation on top of training, as the local beaches are some of the most beautiful in the world, and, local massage is incredibly cheap and potent.

Besides, Thai women are some of the most lovely human beings on the planet. Beautiful too. And, the food is absolutely wonderful. The environment is clean, sanitary, and safe. This is Asia, but it's not China. Thailand is a very modern, westernized, Asian society. Far more comfortable in so many ways.
                  Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
                  russbo.com

Comment

Eh thanks alot for the extensive reply....

Now, I'm planning on going to....somewere in Asia (specific location yet to be determined) ....in about mid-August to do some training (preferably shoalin).

So will this dormitory facility be fuctional by then and can you give me guestimated price range? Also, with the weekly price rates as they are now, i'd be looking at spending over $15 000 for a year of training. And, yes! I do plan to spend an entire year training shaolin (I already postponed my university applications a year...and I've got nother better to do than train martial arts! lol). Could I possibly work out some sort of seperate agreement with you on a yearly rate?

And one more question...were are you usually durring the year doc? Are you out and about, overseeing your schools the entire year, or what? (that's more of a curiosity question than anything)

Thanks alot for all your help!

Comment

I wonder if I can outfit an air conditioning unit into some old parachute pants from the 80's. Then I will be set for Thailand. Oh yeah, I;ll need one of those bug zappers as a shirt too. That would be interesting. Hahahha
                      Becoming what I've dreamed about.

Comment

um..not to sound like a gear geek, but there is a shirt treated with a mosquito repellent. In fact there's pants, socks, bandannas and hats all treated with the same repellent. Exofficio Buzz-off
                        Not so sure about the pants though.
                        Last edited by feylahn; 05-01-2005, 04:16 AM.

Comment

Mosquitos are not a problem in Phuket, as much of the water supply for mosquitos are dried up during high season, and if you're away from the jungle, which we are for the most part, even in rainy season, they aren't much of a bother. Usually around dusk, but only near jungle. It's not an issue. I remember upstate New York during the summer, lol. And, Shaolin during spring. No, it's not really that bad here at all.

As for "dormitory" space for long term students, I'm hoping to have something put together in the next week or two. I fully understand the negative economic impact of long term hotel use, which is why I'm doing this. As a short term resolution, until I can get the facility taken care of, we're currently looking for a large house to rent to use as housing for everyone.

I spend most of my time in Thailand now, for many reasons. I'm in the process of buying some land so that I can build a house here (with attached training center). I will continue to have a residence in Las Vegas for the near future.

And for those who plan on staying long term, we can work something out. As no doubt there will be work to do on the new facility, we can maybe substitute work for "training/housing" for those who are in need.

I don't turn people away who genuinely desire an education.
                          Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
                          russbo.com

Comment

Well isn't the prospect of a zapper-shirt interesting? If you had an itch...you'd kill yourself. But that's good, because I am so incredibly allergic to mosquitoes. If I get bit on say, the leg, I'll start growing a breast there.

And as for the housing in Phukett, that is awesome that you're doing that for the students. Good lookin out, Doc.
                            Becoming what I've dreamed about.

Comment

ok that should be good with the dormitory facility going up.....but i'd still like to know about how much it'll cost....

should we talk price here or by email?
                              plus, i was thinking about paying in monthly installments instead of one lump sum for a years training...you kno, incase something comes up.....
                              but ya, tell me what you think about the costs.

Thanks Again

Comment

Working...
                              X