Development Process

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Development Process

We are currently outfitting our dormitory / school space. At present, we have two interconnected, very large, apartment type facilities, which are nearby our training center, the local town (replete with restaurants, internet cafes, massage, minimarts, etc), a five star resort, and an incredible beach. The dormitory has four large bedrooms, two air conditioned at present, each with space to easily sleep four to eight people. Four bathrooms, (three with modern western toilets, one "mabu" machine"), each with showers (one with hot water, the others with warm), two training / teaching areas, a large fully equipped kitchen area, and plenty of nearby outdoor space for practice. We're working on satellite television.

Our language instructors, Thai and Mandarin Chinese languages, are available on a daily basis, to teach at our dormitory, for both private and group lessons.
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
    russbo.com

Sounds like it is coming along. Can't wait to get there.
    practice wu de

Comment

Well, had some setbacks these past few months, as I've alluded to in the past. The long term Muay Thai coach that I've been training with for the past five or six years turned into a nightmare once money became an issue. We're no longer associated with that individual. Needless to say, various threats, including death threats, and, worse, interfering with my relationship with my girlfriend, was not worth putting up with.

We soon found another MT coach, this one younger, with, again, a family and no regular employment, but, was a champion many times over in Bangkok. Nice guy, didn't speak English, but was a phenomenal fighter. Problem was, he didn't teach all that well, primarily because his focus in life was training, and not teaching (kind of what I went through with Xing Wei when we first met over six years ago; I had spent a lot of time with him in China, working on his teaching skills). The second MT coach was good, but he turned out to be irresponsible. After working out with me once, he kind of disappeared. Yong told me that , from his observations, he didn't like training with me because I kicked him too hard. He was about 50 kg, and about 155 cm tall (I'm 100 kg, 189 cm); it was kind of obvious that he wasn't used to training with a big guy. I think his real problem was the fact that he was married. And that his wife just couldn't understand the other girlfriends that this guy was spending time with. Things were a little bit in turmoil.

We found a new MT coach, who I've been training with for a few hours each day. This guy has fought about 29 times professionally in the ring, but his focus in life has not been towards competition. He has an interesting background, as his uncle, who's name I cannot spell or pronounce, is quite the MT folk hero in Thailand. The uncle, who is 52, has a long history of professional fights and championships, though, because MT doesn't make much money with the locals (it's actually looked down on, kind of like American boxing in the US), he doesn't teach anymore. But he did train his nephew, since the age of five.

And his nephew is good. And, for a little guy, at 165 cm, he doesn't mind being beat up.

I can't hurt the guy, no matter how much I try, LOL. For his 165 cm weighs about 80 kg. Smacking each other with gloves and no padding seems to be the normal event now. Though I prohibit him from hitting me in the head (because of my previous injury), he doesn't mind if I whack him in his. With or without head gear. He's not only a good training partner, but he's a good teacher. And, he's responsible. And, with us for the long term.

What's interesting, is the fact that the uncle, who has quite a bit of local folk lore attached to him, is interested in teaching with us also, once we get this thing more firmly off the ground.

As for the ground, the school facilities are ready. They are not as big as I'd like them to be, but, after seeing the other two MT camps here in Phuket, we don't have as much space, but we have much better weight equipment. And, we're in a far better location on Phuket.

Nothing is guaranteed, but even though the lastest XingWei episode has deterred me quite a bit, we are moving forward. I anticipate that Shi Yong Qiang and another will be here, to live and teach, sometime in November. I will be back in March, hopefully, to buy more land and build a world class training facility, in time for next summer.

More details and news, as it comes.
      Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

russbo.com

Comment

Sounds nice doc, by the way, I'm a little familiar with Ma Bu machines myself.
        "If you want pure self-defense buy a can of mace." Grandmaster Villari (I think that is it).

Comment

Ma Bu machine = squat toilet ? Oui? Non?

Whats the average weather like in may?
          Show me a man who has forgotten words, so that I can have a word with him.

Comment

May and October are when the "winds change", that is, in May, the winds starting coming in off the ocean from west, and in October, the winds start coming from the east, off of the bay and Thailand. During this time, you get rainy, monsoon weather, on and off. Sometimes, you can get three weeks of solid rain, sometimes you get a little rain for an hour during the day, with the rest of the day semi cloudy, cloudy, or just outright sunny and hot.

The perfect weather is between November and May. The ocean is like glass, the diving is incredible. The temperature is between 80 and 90, and you don't see a cloud in the sky. During the summer, you get occasional rain, but generally, really nice days. The cloudy days tend to be cooler, and there are far less tourists, which I like.

During the winter here, it's packed. Hotel prices, in the area where we have the school, average about two to three hundred dollars a night, all the way up into the thousands. Accomodations get expensive, and difficult to find, in the winter.

russbo.com

Comment

Doc, looked at the website, alot more information on there then I found initially. I would still want to bring a friend with me. But we'll see how things go with me at the places I'm working.
              "If you want pure self-defense buy a can of mace." Grandmaster Villari (I think that is it).

Comment

is the weather kinda like the weather in the philippenes? i lived there for 8 1/2 months

Comment

The weather is less humid on Phuket. I've been to the Philippines a few times, Cebu is nice, Manila is a mess, weatherwise and otherwise.

russbo.com

Comment

i live in manila, i only saw a few white people over there, when were you there?

Comment

i lived in paranaque. were did you stay in manila at?

Comment

LOL, I'm not sure. All I know is that there was a lot of traffic. Everywhere. And poverty. And slums.

That probably doesn't narrow it down any.

I was there in the end of June. One of my friends is a congressman in Manila, his father is a senator, so I was not exactly shown the bad parts of town, if you know what I mean.

Cebu is much nicer. But, regardless of what a mess Manila is, the people are awesome. You gotta love them.

russbo.com

Comment

Have you thought about bring monks from other temples to your facility?

Comment

greenknight- quick question for you, when was the War of 1812 fought?

Doc- this sounds awesome. Can't wait to get over there.
                            "Arhat, I am your father..."
                            -the Dark Lord Cod

Comment

http://members.tripod.com/~war1812/allbat.html

Comment

Working...
                              X