X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How's the Thailand school faring?
    Becoming what I've dreamed about.

Comment

It's "faring". We hope to open back up again in March, but we're working out the details and other issues now.
      Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
      russbo.com

Comment

Keep us posted, some of us are going to try to take a week or so and enjoy some massages.
        practice wu de

Comment

Maybe make that 2 weeks!
          Don't trouble trouble until trouble troubles you.

Comment

good luck with the school!

Comment

The move into the new facility has been completed. Say goodbye to the old one. Thank god.

The new building is a three story, brand new facility. We have spent a lot of time and money getting it put together. All three floors are now air conditioned, and two of the four bathrooms have hot showers. Western toilets are throughout, along with a full modern western kitchen.

The first floor has the weight and cardio equipment. At the present time, we have a treadmill and an elliptical, along with a brand new multistation full body gym, and some professional level free weight machines, including a Smith bench press. We have enough varied equipment to provide a complete and extensive workout. Not too bad for a relatively small gym. A Lifefitness recumbent bike is on the way.

The second floor is for private and small group Muay Thai boxing, with workout space, padded floor, and heavy bags.

The third floor has two bedrooms, one of which, albeit small, has enough space and beds to fit four people comfortably. Comfortably, a term used relative to what you'll find in China. And, Thailand. The larger bedroom is, for the current time, used for my personal storage.

Outside will be a small secluded workout patio with heavy bags.

Locally, there are guest houses and rooms available for those who want private lodging.

The facility will have internet, phone, and satellite television, along with one or two computers. We have one 29 inch Sony TV. Might get more.

We are within a five minute motorbike ride to one of the nicest, most expensive beaches in Phuket. Period. One to five million dollar (US) homes are in the area, along with one of the largest, most popular, and most beautiful five star resorts in Asia. The gym is a two minute bicycle ride (we have bikes) from the local village, which has massage shops, restaurants, laundry, internet cafes, health facility, police, markets, hardware, computer, etc.

As for food, fresh veggies and meat can be purchased very cheaply in the local Thai markets. Or, nearby restaurants, which are superb, can be used for all of your meals. To put this into perspective, you can get a meal for 100 B. Which is, about two and a half dollars. Water needs to be purchased (we have free drinking water at the gym, cold and hot); water is very inexpensive. No "dollar bottles" here.

We have some awesome Muay Thai trainers, all of whom have a rather extensive history and lineage in the art. They also speak English. For gong fu, we're not exactly set up yet. The people we were going to bring down have not yet made up their minds; apparently, they have family issues which, at least for the present, keep them in China. This may change in the future.

As we are not running a hotel, and have no plans on doing so, our "accomodations" will be reserved for those with special needs; ie, poverty. With a motorbike rental, there are many local small hotels and guesthouses that offer incredibly cheap accomodations, on the order sometimes of one hundred fifty USD per month. Not the best, but, it's a clean room, and its far better than what you'll find in Dengfeng.

It's slowly "getting there". It opens next week, for the locals.

Oh, and FYI, I personally do nothing but hang out, train, and offer advice.
              Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

russbo.com

Comment

i'm so jealous i could puke.

congradulations man

There are only 10 types of people in this world.
                Those that understand binary and those that don't.

Comment

yknow when i went to china, i had a choice of living in the area where the foreigners would stay or with my teacher, i liked where all the other guys had to stay at

it was hot, shitty little fans, a piece of wood with a comforter was my bed, and i even had a western toilet and shower!

but seriously it was pretty bad, but thats what i liked about it. alot of people like to take vacations and live comfortably but i wasnt there for that, i was there to train my ass off

which is the deal with me this time around in thailand.

this facility sounds to comfortable...i know my brother may like it enough to stay...

but i may have to find a comfortable tree to sleep in thank you very much
                  "did you ask me to consider dick with you??" blooming tianshi lotus

Comment

Doc,
                    What's the current status in Thailand?
                    Thx,
                    Joe

Comment

Well, being December, it's warm and beautiful. I miss it. What I'm doing in Vegas now, I'll never know.

The facility is finished, and is being used by the Thai partners of the corporation. Good Muay Thai training is available. We have no gong fu yet, however, I just got an email from Shi De Yang's friend, who advises me that DeYang wants to help me with the school situation (where, I'm not sure matters). Decheng was tentatively planning on going to Thailand this spring when I return there (He wants to come to Vegas in January; I'm working on it). I'll return to Thailand early March, as usual, just in time to avoid the horribly allergy season here.

If you wanted to go, I'd be more than happy to facilitate your training, whether it be with russboasia, or, a different MT camp. I have access to a few of them. But it would be easier if I were there.

russbo.com

Comment

Thanks Doc. I would love to go. Maybe I'll go in March when you are there. Will there be language classes then? Would definitely like to work on my mandarin and learn some thai.
                        Joe

Comment

I can arrange professional level Mandarin and Thai language lessons. Very inexpensive also. The Mandarin teacher that I was trying to learn with was superb. I just couldn't keep up because of my memory disorder. You can get private or group lessons.

russbo.com

Comment

I'm back in Thailand. The girlfiend is happy, and with tree pollen in Vegas being over 11000, I'm happy.

The facility is open and functional. We can provide Muay Thai training and general fitness on a six day per week basis, from 9AM to 1PM. Four hours a day, weights, fitness, and boxing. We have a fairly well equipped facility with professional level weight equipment, which you just don't see at the usual MT training camps.

We do not have dormitory facilities at this time, though we can find nearby housing / rooms that are inexpensive. With a motorbike rental (about 2 to 3 USD per day), it's easy to get from room to facility to beach to restaurants / markets / internet / massage / bars / laundry / etc.

We have bicycles for those who are more athletically inclined. The facility has a well equipped kitchen for those who want to cook, though, with local eatery prices being in the 3 to 5 USD per meal range, cooking only becomes viable if you've got a Thai girlfriend to do it for you. The facility has a washing machine to do laundry.

There is no gong fu training at this time; our coach had family issues and had to return to China. We may get another one. I am not teaching, but I'm around to work out with.

We have not set a price yet, though, figure about 2500 Baht per week for use of facility and personal trainer. Special circumstances can be taken under consideration.

The facility is located in the northern / western part of the island, commonly referred to as "millionaires row" because of the high priced real estate in the area. It's a nicer part of Phuket than most.

Email me directly if you want to come out. I'll be here for a few months.

russbo.com

Comment

Just wanted to keep everyone updated as to what's going on out here.

As I've just leased an apartment to live in, I no longer have to live in the gym here itself. I can now convert the large room (and small one) into living quarters for those of you who might find themselves in the situation whereby they may require such assistance. The facility has cable television, and, satellite interenet with computers.

More as things progress.

russbo.com

Comment

Congratulations on the school. I'd love to check it out. Best of luck in the future.

Comment

Working...
                                X