Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help for DengFeng Area

Hi,

I am planning on taking a year out to study kung fu in China in 2 years and I am going to visit in the summer to check out some schools to see how they run and maybe get some contacts, but I have come to realise that just going to the Shaolin temple isnt going to help me too much.

Can anyone give me advice on what I should be thinking of doing when in DengFeng to get some decent info on schools, at the moment I am worried of going to a country that I dont speak the language of and coming back with nothing useful.

Cheers

Could start by learning some of the language.. would make life easier. Get some pimsleur tapes.. or you could go to docs new place in thailand instead (or as well).

Comment

I think the best bet is to do some good old fashioned investigating while you're there. First of all, you really are starting on a good foot by going over first and checking every thing out, though it's not terribly necessary. Remember you're entering a different place (world?) and things may not always be as clear cut and perfect. Most schools, I imagine, will have an interpretor or at least a person who can speak English well enough to give you an explanation as to how things are run, what's required of you, the facilities, payment, etc. Now it's your turn to do some searching into what you expect from the school. Just be weery of questions that are brushed off quickly or answered thoughtlessly, cause that may mean the school is incapable of fulfilling your requests, but rather hopes you will fall for their pitch.

Get your list and go from school to school. Look at their facilities, talk to current students about what they have been taught, their likes and dislikes, look at the dorms, ask questions about hot water, heat, and so on. I assume there really isn't sure thing. You simply have to make an educated decision.

g
      ZhongwenMovies.com

Comment

Most schools, I imagine, will have an interpretor or at least a person who can speak English well enough to give you an explanation as to how things are run, what's required of you, the facilities, payment, etc.
        Sorry man, but, in my opinion, you imagine kind of wrong. From my experience, few schools have interpreters, and most of those interpreters tend to be pretty bad. Going over to get information is a good thing, going for two years is a rough thing, and going alone might cause you to be disillusioned about the whole thing.

Best thing to do is go with someone who knows the place, and who can show you around. Doing this "cold" is tough. And the neo capitalists that are running the various places will financially rip you apart.
        Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
        russbo.com

Comment

Ok, if schools don't typically have interpretors, do you hire someone? I mean not everyone knows someone in China, nor do most people know someone who is willing to go and show them around, as if they have already been there..

What can this kid actually do then?

g
          ZhongwenMovies.com

Comment

He does what I did, like I did twice:
            Learn enough Chinese to act like a mumbling idiot, go for a couple weeks, make some friends, learn the ropes, check out the scene, then make plans later on for the 2006 PAZMAN ASIAN TOUR.

Ooops, let the cat out of the bag too soon. Doc, I will be emailing you soon.
            -Jesse Pasleytm
            "How do I know? Because my sensei told me!"

Comment

The PAZMAN ASIAN TOUR?

No doubt we'll have to bring PLENTY of condoms.

OOPS. Let the cat out of the bag....
              Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

russbo.com

Comment

Thanks for the tips, I have been thinking of trying to get an interpreter for the trip, cos I think the amount of Chinese I could learn in this time period is limited, especially being one of the toughest in the world, but I cant think where I could get any info about that.

But to be showed around the places would be helpful, for you guys that have been to China, were your schools difficult to find and do they welcome guests.

One reason why I wanna go and see Dengfeng is cos I am thinking that there will be many schools that are not on the internet and I am thinking the only way to do this reasearch thing properly is to go over.

Hey, if I go I could even let you guys know where I went and who welcomes foreign students, just an idea.

Cheers
                Craig

Comment

Craig

Doing this cold might get you into all sorts of trouble. And, it will be a waste of time. Some Asians see foreigners as big walking wallets. They'll sell you anything, if they think they can get money out of you. Especially the budding neo capitalists of Dengfeng now. And, most of these schools are primarily oriented towards domestic Chinese kids, not foreigners. I think that you would find your foray to not only be frustrating, but financially disruptive.

Decheng's school now, and finally, has a decent English speaking interpreter. I've been emailing through him with great success. I've been impressed with my ability to communicate with Decheng over these past few months. I can reliably set up your year for you, if you so desire. No guarantee that this interpreter will still be there in two years, but, since Decheng spends a lot of time with me in the US, and because I've sent a lot of students his way, he know understands, probably more than most, the power of having a good English interpreter.

Also, Shi Heng Jun's place has a great deal of experience dealing with foreigners. Absolutely beautiful surroundings, small training area. Not sure about their interpreters, but, it's a good place for foreigners. I can also help set that up for you.

Learning a little Chinese at this time is not a bad thing, but, don't count on that getting you by.

russbo.com

Comment

Some Asians see foreigners as big walking wallets.
                    Mmm, truth comes in many shades.., and they sure do.
                    ZhongwenMovies.com

Comment

Originally posted by doc
                      Sorry man, but, in my opinion, you imagine kind of wrong. From my experience, few schools have interpreters, and most of those interpreters tend to be pretty bad. Going over to get information is a good thing, going for two years is a rough thing, and going alone might cause you to be disillusioned about the whole thing.

Best thing to do is go with someone who knows the place, and who can show you around. Doing this "cold" is tough. And the neo capitalists that are running the various places will financially rip you apart.

What a load of bunk!!!!!!! Unless it's been too long since your last Decheng dengfeng school visit then you may remember the little man at the front desk who speaks english, who for a promise and a price is more than happy to give you the run down on anything you need to know about both the school and dengfeng in general............ even if for overtime prattling you have to slide him a couple of greasy pink bills ( 100rmb notes and he's your mate for te whole day!!!!!) .:0 .
                      There are definately some good schools about the area besides that one though , but because of this funny english speaking desk man and the foreign student attraction Decheng's place has because ppl like Rich Russel and Gene Ching, you can often have just that much more pleasant and less hasseled trip. Ask him about his 9 sexction whip, or the chick shifu about her traditional shaolin wushu ( for the funniest legit contradictive term I've ever heard in my life ) it 's his favourite and likely yours 'll be his most enjoyable lesson! ............. find out what they like to do andpay them to share it.............you'll be a hit.................even if you do have to pay CITS's ( China international trveal service .......also offering interperaters for a small large fee ) Wang Yu Ming to tell you what they don't at the school ! .........Welcome to the gwailo side of China!!!!!

cheers and happy travels

BL

Comment

Hmmm...doesnt seem to be much positive stuff about going cold turkey, I dont particularly wanna get ripped off, but I have already booked my stuff, is there any tips for survival in the DengFeng area you guys could give, (I am guessing some of you have been through this area)

Thanks for all the support
                        Kirb

Comment

ermmm.......

take one of those electronic speaking multi - language dictionary / phrase book numbers. They talk funny out there and when you can actually understand what's been said , funny how that helps.

have fun out there and remember , the bus from deng feng to shaolin temple / songshan is only about 2 yuan and takes around 15 mins and runs fairly frequently ........ ask at CITS for a timetable........ taxi maybe 50 - 60 yuan .

If you're looking for an internet cafe , there's one upstairs on that street with the archey thing overhead. Find out the characters for internet cafe ( waang baa) and ask one of those funny open cabs to take you there. ....... not very stylish, but quite cool nonetheless.

Btw : the food at song shan is cr*p , so either eat before you go or take some dry gear ........ ji dan bian ( jee dan beein) - omlettey pancake things you can find for 1 or 2 or 5 yuan work well too....just don't do "them" at the temple either , because they'll make you sick!!!!!

Don't forget to go walk about around dengfeng too! Lots of cool stuff to find !

cheers

Btl

Comment

Contact me by email. Going "cold" will only lead to disaster.

russbo.com

Comment

This is the problem with using pin yin without tones... If you say wang 3 ba 1 that's fine..it means Internet cafe, though using wang ka is better, yet perhaps that's not used so much in Mainland. If you say wang 3 ba 2 with a rising tone, your asking where is the bastard, or, I'm looking for a bastard, or, is there a bastard nearby?

Anyhow, I'd just be weary of people who are overly nice. I've been here for three years and although some people are just generally nice, I have found that the best measure I have of new people is there level of niceness.

Don't get me wrong, it's a tradition culture, so politeness is really the rule... not an idea. However, if you notice people being really really nice, by forcing you to accept things like gifts or favors, then be careful. Chinese people inadvertently create guanxi (relationships) in order to increase face. Sometimes they don't intentionally do these things, it's really an inherent part of there intercommunication as a result of the education they get.

After a while, though, you may get pretty good at pushing away new relationships or fostering ones that may be helpful to your lively-hood. For instance, if you would like to become someones friend, give then a small gift without prior notice and tell them you where thinking of them. A few days later you will have a gift of your own and a new friendship as well. If you don't want to have a relationship with the other person, don't accept things or else you'll be expected to be part of something you had not originally asked for..... You will also be considered very impolite if you don't cooperate.

g
                              ZhongwenMovies.com

Comment

Working...
                              X