No announcement yet.

Help for DengFeng Area

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

typical but true........ pad someone's pocket and you're everyone's mate !!
    And ppl think the gold coast or NY or Vegas is the capital of pretentiousism

Comment

Well, I never padded anyone's pocket. What I mean is like giving someone a bag of fruit, which is a sign of respect, some moon cakes or other small things. I'm talking about creating guan1xi1, not a business relationship, though more often than not there isn't a visable line between the two. But I'm talking about personal relationships that aren't based entirely on business. If you give someone money, that is a business relationship, regardless of how friendly the other person behaves towards you..

Like, my current motorcycle is not actually mine. It's my taiwanese friend's bike, who I very rarely talk to because he lives in taibei. Originally he asked for 500nt a month, that is, after we became friends and did little favors for each other (not those kind of favors, mind you!!) -- equivalent to about 15us dollars. Later he "invited" me to help him edit his thesis paper, and sometime thereafter the money just wasn't an issue anyome, as long as I continue to maintain the bike. I've had it for two years now.

I've also had a "friend" try to rent an apartment for me, but came to understand they only wanted to do it so they could move in at a later time in order to become my new best English speaking buddy.....

You may not believe it, but when you get to China or taiwan...(this is also probably true for korea and japan, though I can't speak for other countries) people will want to be your friend just because you can speak English and they want to practice with you. Of course most will not tell you they have such intentions. Some will, however.

the list is endless....
      ZhongwenMovies.com

Comment

"You may not believe it, but when you get to China or taiwan...(this is also probably true for korea and japan, though I can't speak for other countries) people will want to be your friend just because you can speak English and they want to practice with you. Of course most will not tell you they have such intentions. Some will, however."

to bad the gung fu masters arent like that! i wouldnt mind getting some training tips for a bag of fruit or something! lolol
        "did you ask me to consider dick with you??" blooming tianshi lotus

Comment

Hi All,

I'm new to Russbo, so apologies in advance for any faux-pas I commit. Its an awesome site, however there's a lot to it and its very tedious downloading in the internet cafes in China!

I'm basically stationed in Dengfeng all summer, albeit currently down in Guangzhou doing a spot of business, I will be back up in Dengfeng by Sunday. I've been out here on and off for 2 months.

I can translate, so if I can help anyone whilst I'm here, I'd be only to happy to do that, perhaps give you all some updates on any developments down here, just give me pointers on what you would like to know, and I'll go and check it out.

I'm a bit biased towards Yan Zhang's school, which is where I'm guesting.

I'll go elaborate some more in the Yan Zhang thread as I want to lend Hei Hu some support.

Chicken

Comment

I am in the same boat and also need help. Have you heard of Yan Zhang's school in Dengfeng? I don't know if it is still open.... have read and I don't seem to get any help!!! Can SOMEONE PLEASE PLEASE help me with information???
            regi (celisecondary@yahoo.com)

Comment

Hi Reqi,

this is a big site, so its not surprising that you haven't seen the posts about Yan Zhang's school in the Forum on Schools! Heihu and I go into some detail about Yan Zhang's school there.

Yes, I can help you with information. I have heard of Yan Zhang's school. I'm staying with his family (parents, younger sister and her family) right now. Very nice people. The school is still accepting international students, still very much in operation at a new base very close to the bus station in Dengfeng.

I'm happy to help anyone who is genuine about studying gongfu in Dengfeng. What do you want to know?

Kind regards

Chicken

Comment

Look in the Shaolin Gong Fu Schools sub forum, in this forum. Yan Zhang's school is listed in there, and yes they are open, but, good luck with contact information. As I've said before, these schools are not the best when it comes to "staying in touch".
                Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
                russbo.com

Comment

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the info, one reason why I opened up this thread was because I am going at the start of September, Chicken do you think you will be around Deng Feng at that time? Its just I am getting quite worried about going over without knowing the language and not having any real directions, (the more I say it the more ridiculous it sounds), Even if you could let me know about any places to get help?

My Email is Kirbtheman@hotmail.com, if you could help me at all, it would be extremely appreciated.

Comment

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the postings, the reason I started this thread was to get as much knowledge about the area as possible, and maybe to get contacts to help out, Chicken do you think you will be over at the start of September, thats when I am flying out.

If you can help me in any way about Deng Feng, please could you send me an email @ Kirbtheman@hotmail.com.

another question is how hard is it to go from Beijing to Dengfeng without knowing any of the language?

Once again thanks alot guys, dont mean to go on, but I am getting a bit worried about going over there now.

Cheers
                    Kirb

Comment

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the postings, the reason I started this thread was to get as much knowledge about the area as possible, and maybe to get contacts to help out, Chicken do you think you will be over at the start of September, thats when I am flying out.

chicken If you can help me in any way about Deng Feng, please could you send me an email @ Kirbtheman@hotmail.com.

another question is how hard is it to go from Beijing to Dengfeng without knowing any of the language?

Once again thanks alot guys, dont mean to go on, but I am getting a bit worried about going over there now.

Cheers
                      Kirb

Comment

Hi guys,

Chicken, if you can help me in any way about Deng Feng, please could you send me an email @ Kirbtheman@hotmail.com.

Cheers
                        Kirb

Comment

You will be OK!

Start of September shouldn't be a problem for me.

I have just met a mature Swiss teacher traveling around China alone. He doesn't speak a word of Chinese. He was in Shaolin. Wang helped him to find some accommodation... not being able to speak Chinese didn't seem to bother him.

The best way to get to Dengfeng is to sign up with one of the schools before you get here. Yan Zhang's school will dispatch people to meet you at the airport in Beijing... they can't speak English but they will ensure that you are comfortable and get you to Dengfeng. This week an 18 year old arrive here. His luggage didn't arrive with him. So they ensured that he stayed in a hotel till it arrived and then brought him down by train.

I believe other schools can be as attentive to their international students!

Otherwise, getting to ZhengZhou is quite straight forward. Fly or take the train in. Its the west train station from Beijing (8 hour journey). Then take a bus from the bus station opposite the train station to Dengfeng. People at the train station, airports and hotels aimed at tourists in Beijing and Shanghai speak English, they will assist you to get the information you need to go where you need to get to. The bus station is more difficult but they give you a ticket... if you hold on to the ticket and show it to people in uniforms they will point the ticket (and you) in the direction of the bus to Dengfeng. This also works in the trainstations by the way.

At Dengfeng you can take a taxi to your hotel. Just make sure they use the meter... get in the car and tap it ("kai ji!") till they start it. If they don't, get out ("ting che!") and find one that will start the meter.

Chicken

Comment

Two things.

I might be there in late August early September. If I'm not, then I have friends who can meet you in Beijing, and get you on a plane or train to Zengzhou.

In Zengzhou, the school can pick you up. Decheng's school will send a car to the airport or train station to get people. Other schools, I'm not sure, but I know the wushu guan does.

As for the bus, I wouldn't do it. Spend the 200 to 250 Yuan (25 to 30 USD) and take a taxi. You won't get lost this way. The buses are nightmarish. I've never gone by "meter" , always negotiated the price before we left. With the new highway, the taxi ride is about an hour from the airport. The bus, 3 to 4, or more..., LOL....
                            Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
                            russbo.com

Comment

As for the bus, I wouldn't do it. Spend the 200 to 250 Yuan (25 to 30 USD) and take a taxi. You won't get lost this way. The buses are nightmarish. I've never gone by "meter" , always negotiated the price before we left. With the new highway, the taxi ride is about an hour from the airport. The bus, 3 to 4, or more..., LOL....
                              Doc are we talking about the same Dengfeng in Henan Province, China? Only I've never taken the highway to the airport only the scariest ride I've ever taken, with unserviced, as safe as a sardine tin, taxis (without safety belts) overtaking all the time on the brows of the hills on an extremely carved up road which has cattle running over it?

The quickest I've ever got there in a taxi was 1.5 hours at 5.30am in the morning?

I'm going to Guangzhou tomorrow, and I'll take the bus again into Zhengzhou and either a taxi or the airport bus to the airport (as the road from Zhengzhou to the airport is OK). It adds 45 mins at the most to the journey time, but the busses (the white elephant busses) are airconditioned, don't have you sitting behind a cage, and they do use the highway.

I figure we are having totally different experiences so am I doing something wrong?

Meanwhile many thanks to all those who have enlightened me on the difference between traditional and modern gongfu.

Yan Zhang's school has confirmed that it provides both.

Chicken  

Comment

Working...
                              X