Kali / Silat & JKD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kali / Silat & JKD

What do we know about these arts here ???

I 've been digging my wing chun and taiji lion dance school over the last several months and recently even some MT for a bit ( before I told the idiot substitute instructor to stick his mates dodgy gym where it fit ) , but more recently being seriously and extremely uncharacteristically sick decided on an external art to help me recoup a little. I found a centre offering these and got all glitzy eyed about the new toy forms I could pick up before I left the country in just a few mths for more China .

These are funnily arts I know nothing about . Is it going to cause me bad habits , is it good for the cardio comparitively to whatever or even worth doing do we think ??????? It looks good but I have really little time to muck about searching and trialing.
    I really know little about them all , so cheers for any input ( & from those who 've practiced would be nice ) .

cheers

BL

Silat is that kicking French thing, no? I always thought Kali was something stupid internet whores used in place of "California". As for Jeet Kune Do, I have never seen a place that teaches it in my life. This is the extent of my knowledge on these three styles.

Nevermind, the French thing is Savaat...I just remembered that when I clicked "post". Silly me.
    Becoming what I've dreamed about.

Comment

Hey.......... Thx Leiyun.........

I found a local guy offering some traditional tang soo tao ( traditional battlefield pre - govt standardised tae kwon do.............. like wushu ........except in Korea and at the same time as the cr would you believe ) though instead and a whole country history and no one to share it with and I'm going with that lol...........

Now I get why tkd sucks so much and why everyone knows it! Like why muay thai makes me cringe as oposed to muay baron for instance .............. crazy cool story this whole ma history thing right!!???!!

Btw: kasli silat is from the Phillipines..............but you knew that right??? ....................

Anyway, I've got this whole interesting dark ma tale spanning from China to Korea into Korean underground recesses and then through Japan's underworld via ma practioners aided and abetted by sympathetic Japanese occupying soldiers and fellow warrior/ combat right activists to sneak on a uniform of theirs , jump ship and go hide out in Japan until they stopped the local bloody martial slaughters ( like was happening nxt door in China to Shaolin and friends ) , where they picked up Zen, got heat went to meet the Dalia, took on buddhist fighting and life operandi philoshophies, came back to China , found daoism , and singing to jutsu understandings they'd just come by and learnt to understand in there zen trances, decided that old Dalai, was probably not the most onto it philoshopher after all for their purposes , and was so led to WC's linear straight stikes , zen gongfu concept over tone and circular jutsu undercurrents to end up in my hands many yrs later as Tang Soo Tao.............. It's all quite quietly very cool and I'm cheering to 've found the guy. Who'd've guess'd tkd was the bs ( sport) version???? !!!!!!!( and add warrior rpl roaming music here and cut to training shot )

cheers

BL

Comment

Of course TKD is full of BS. But I don't comprehend the chain of events you used to come to this conclusion.

And no, I didn't know Kasli Silat was phillipino. In fact, the only Phillipino MA I am aware of is Escrima.

Comment

Kali is a Filipino art also known as Eskrima or Arnis as it’s officially called in the Philippines. Basically stick and dagger fighting, one of the few arts that teaches weapons first and unarmed combat after. Silat or Penjak Silat is an Indonesian armed/unarmed fighting system.

Comment

Thanks for clearing that up, RJW.

Comment

Originally posted by LeiYunFat
              Of course TKD is full of BS. But I don't comprehend the chain of events you used to come to this conclusion.

And no, I didn't know Kasli Silat was phillipino. In fact, the only Phillipino MA I am aware of is Escrima.

Well that would be because half of it is embellshed for dramtic effect!! ................ At the bit about the japanese soldiers aiding and abetting escapes and donating uniforms to smuggle their fellow martial practioning "friends" out anyway............. but it's much more entertaining that way and you know it!!! ( nods satisfactorily )

cheers

BL

Aside of the folks who are going to lie and say " hmmph..... well of course we did !!!! " , did anyone else actually know that tkd was the bs version?????? .............

Comment

Originally posted by LeiYunFat
                Nevermind, the French thing is Savaat...I just remembered that when I clicked "post". Silly me.
                Yep, that's 'Savate' - french system of mostly kicking (I sparred against a stylist once, I found it pretty easy to counter).

Arnis-Escrima-Kali = closely related philipino weapon arts

I've trained a little Arnis & Escrima: stick/dagger fighting, Arnis being more norther in origin, Escrima central. Kali being more southern. All trace roots to spanish origin from when spain had a stranglehold on the Phillipines. Kali is primarily a blade art, but I've seen it trained with sticks and daggers, just the grip and strike (blade) positioning are more critical. All three place huge importance on footwork and angles/lines.

Awesome stuff. Brush up on your on wrist flexibility, BTL, it'll come in handy! (ugh. pardon the pun)

I also got a taste of Penjack Silat at a seminar I went to last year. VERY loose, lots of whipping strikes and kicks (It'll put your fa jing to good use). It seemed super exotic and dance like and the energy generation was cool. People at the seminar (myself included) were snapping boards in half with whipping fingertip strikes. Definitely check it out, I think you'll dig it as a change of pace.

I wouldn't worry about bad habits from either front. The kali will improve your ranging and footwork, and the Silat is a whole new take on power generation...
                Whatever doesn't kill me had better be able to run damn fast.

"You are one of the most self-deluded immature idiots I've come across here for a time..." —Blooming T. Lotus

Comment

part of that is the fact that savate was developed for fighting on ships. you mostly kicked, because you were using your hands to hold on to the railings.

tang soo do was the first MA i took.

Comment

nuh uh!

17th century french sailors were born and died on ships. My guess is they probably didn't have to hold on to the railing for any reason, and certainly not for a fight, which they probably saw a LOT of.

must be some other historical reason that's more logical. Of course, we are talking about the french, so maybe they just did it for style.

"You are one of the most self-deluded immature idiots I've come across here for a time..." —Blooming T. Lotus

Comment

The french sukk a$$!

I feel a better.

Comment

But they still manage to beat us hung gar folk. :'(

Comment

Okay. I've only got 4 mths before I leave to go back to China max, and the TSD is spunding sweet. I have funny kicks from all that dimmak complacency so the kali sounds good aswell. What about tong long vs Kali????

PM :I don't even know what to say you about the wrist stength and flexibilty......... I've moving it like that for longer and faster and harder than I think you'd really appreciate from there ! Thx for the head up on it but let's not go making the boys jealous then ha

Lotus

Comment

17th century french sailors were born and died on ships. My guess is they probably didn't have to hold on to the railing for any reason, and certainly not for a fight, which they probably saw a LOT of.
                            yup, they practically were born and died on ships... and one of the things they learned from an early age was, hold on to the railings.

Comment

Originally posted by blooming tianshi lotus
                              Okay. I've only got 4 mths before I leave to go back to China max, and the TSD is spunding sweet. I have funny kicks from all that dimmak complacency so the kali sounds good aswell. What about tong long vs Kali????

PM :I don't even know what to say you about the wrist stength and flexibilty......... I've moving it like that for longer and faster and harder than I think you'd really appreciate from there ! Thx for the head up on it but let's not go making the boys jealous then ha

Lotus

lol.. oh sorry, I keep forgetting you're a perfect warrior machine. Too much is never enough, however...

If you mean mantis vs. Silat, I think it could be a rippin' good fight. Mantis versus kali would only be good up to the point where the mantis practicioner disarmed the kali guy, then it would be all over.

Comment

Working...
                              X