Kick bags for home use..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kick bags for home use..

Anyone got recommendations for good kick bags that wont bring the roof down or annoy the neighbours? Preferably something that doesn't require attaching to a wall or ceiling.. are any of those free-standing kickbags up to the task?

I thought about that too. The only thing I came up with is something freestanding with a sand bottom. I don't have the option of using this type of bag. I live on the top floor. I would have to kungfu my neighbor.

Comment

I've heard mixed reviews about the freestanding heavy bags.... Haven't really gotten a chance to try one.
      practice wu de

Comment

my old kenpo school had one. if they're big enough and made well, you can wail on them pretty hard and they won't budge.

Comment

i use "wave master" freestanding bag, base can be filled with sand or water, and the
          height is adjustable. 160$ from century martial arts. You can really kick the crap outa them

Comment

You might want to get a sand one to save you the wrath of the super if the water one breaks.
            Becoming what I've dreamed about.

Comment

I have one in my house, which I've filled with sand. Using water was not an option because of the hardwood floors in my house. Personally, they'll do, but I don't like them. They're too soft, and the base has broken on repeated occasions, requiring a shitload of gunk like glue and occasionally duct tape.

My personal favorite for bags, are large leather ones that are filled with cloth. I've used some with sawdust in them, which aren't bad, and some with sand, which are. (you have to be really careful kicking a sand filled bag). The premade bags filled with rubber shavings are pretty damn good; I really like the way they feel for kicking. Bags filled with bicycle tire tubes aren't bad, but they tend to be a little "bouncy" on top, and "nice" towards the bottom.

Cloth filled bags get dense over time, and rock hard on the bottom, with time. But they're midsection is nice for punching and kicking. I'll punch anything if I have my 18 ounce gloves on. But for kicking, either shaved rubber, sawdust, or cloth, in my opinion, is best.

Problem is, bags like that can easily weigh over 100 kilos. In my house I have a "bag stand" which I've bolted to the floor. In the school, we hang them from the roof rafter via chains. The length of the chain makes them swing too much, but, if you have someone to hold the bag, they work fine.

PVC bags don't feel "right" to me. Canvas bags aren't bad, but I prefer leather.
              Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
              russbo.com

Comment

how southeast asian of you.

Comment

When I had no money and wanted a heavy bag, I wrapped a smallish tree trunk in about 6 thin blankets folded in half. Wrap them very tight and duct tape at the top and bottom. Worked great for me until I got access to an actual heavy bag.

I recommend getting a "care bears" blanket for the outer layer, It makes you look cool.
                  Whatever doesn't kill me had better be able to run damn fast.

"You are one of the most self-deluded immature idiots I've come across here for a time..." —Blooming T. Lotus

Comment

My rich attorney kung fu friend has a personal kungfu studio in his 2 car garage. Complete with every weapon and just about everytype of bag you could have. He also has the bags used in Lipengs Sand bag arts video in his front yard. Those bags are way too heavy for my skinny wrists or even for kicks. They way a ton. I like going around the room hitting different bags until I'm exhausted. Then finishing by jumping in his pool!

Comment

you should use your mother in law when she comes around
                      The East? The West?

Men and Women, that's all...

Comment

Great idea! You hold her, I'll hit her.

Better yet we could rap her in old carpet and tie her to a pole.

Comment

lol better push her to suicide by hanging herself in the garage,she will be ready for use...Only problem,after a few days she will smell!
                          The East? The West?

Men and Women, that's all...

Comment

No, she'll start smelling right away. The first thing you do when you die is crap your pants.
                            Becoming what I've dreamed about.

Comment

Originally posted by mortal
                              My rich attorney kung fu friend has a personal kungfu studio in his 2 car garage. Complete with every weapon and just about everytype of bag you could have. He also has the bags used in Lipengs Sand bag arts video in his front yard. Those bags are way too heavy for my skinny wrists or even for kicks. They way a ton. I like going around the room hitting different bags until I'm exhausted. Then finishing by jumping in his pool!

See, thats styllin' right there....

we had some trees in our yard in college that we used sort of like wooden dummies...

we'd go from tree to tree... that was fun.
                              practice wu de

Comment

Working...
                              X