Happy birthday Chang San-Feng

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Happy birthday Chang San-Feng

Chang San-Feng was born at midnight on April 9, 1247 and the anniversary of this day is now celebrated by the followers of Tai Chi Chuan with food, drink and Tai Chi.
    practice wu de

Chang San-feng

Am looking for a English translation of Chang San-feng's "The Rootless Tree". Does anyone know where I might obtain one?

Comment

Hi Shenjen,

I haven't heard of that book before. Can you tell me anything about it?
      "Bye Book!" - Ven. Damo

Comment

we

we should have a forum for specific chinese classics discussion and reccomendations etc

like martial arts..philosophy..astrology..healing etc etc

thatd be cool........

DOC HERE OUR CRY!!!!
        "did you ask me to consider dick with you??" blooming tianshi lotus

Comment

Chinese Studies Re: Chang San-feng

Chang San-feng (keep in mind that there are a number of historical figures who used this name) is said to have written a book explaining the why and wherefore of his chi gung system "The 13 Postures". The book's title is 'The Rootless Tree". The Chang San-feng who wrote this "book", was supposed to be a Taoist monk, a herbalist of some merit, and a martial artist. The 13 Postures are supposed to be the foundation of Chen's original Tai Chi Chuan form but this may have only been a way for Chen to lend weight to his form. Chang San-feng, the Taoist monk, was said to have founded a school in the Wu Tang valley, said valley being a haven for Taoists long before he arrived there. A lot of systems, styles, and whatnot have come out this area but the Taoist's record of keeping secrets to themselves and the Chinese habit of back dating everything so as to give it more merit, has hopelessly obscured the trail. Hope this is helpful.

Comment

Thanks for the info. I guess we'll never know. If you do find a source for the translation, please post it here along with your opinion.

Have you heard of the Mo Pai Taoist sect of Dragon-Tiger mountain? Supposedly Chang San Feng was a lineage holder of their system (I suppose that the Chen argument can also be applied to the sects claims).

The system is based on a 72 level (chakra) system. Chang San Feng is said to have been the only person to complete the system. You have a 7 out of 10 chance of dying from trying to complete the third level. There is a very interesting set of books on this by Kosta Danaos.

Their organisation is the wenwukuan.
            "Bye Book!" - Ven. Damo

Comment

Dragon-Tiger Mountain

Aril 14 Arial Crimson

Regarding your question about a "Dragon-Tiger" mountain (Long Hu Shan?) and the alledged 72 level system, I am unfamiliar with the system ( which denotes nothing as there are literally hundreds of systems & styles practiced throughout China) and the mountain. As I recall there are five mountain peaks in China that the ancients considered sacred and venerated as places where gods, demons, and sages dwelled. I am familiar with Wu-dang Shan, a mountain in present day Fubei Province, in mainland China. The mountain and the valley below it have been a place where for hundreds of years Taoists have been building their temples and monasteries. At some of these temples, martial arts became a way of expressing Taoist principles as well as a means for keeping the body healthy and for the monks and scholars to protect themselves from marauding bands of thieves. As did the Buddhists in their monasteries, some monks devoted their lives to perfecting martial skills while others had no martial training at all. You should take into consideration the fact that monks, priests, and scholars were often called upon in rural areas to be judges and arbitraters in matters of law and crime. A judge had to be able to enforce his decisions which often entailed kickin' some ass. Taoist priests and Buddhist monks who served in rural areas had to be able to protect their temples, which were frequently targets for whatever roaming thugs happen through the neighborhood. Perhaps it's just my Taoist point of view, but I always felt there was a bit of incongruity to the fact that the Buddhists of the Shao-lin monasteries developed so many fighting styles based on ferocious animals. Where were their heads at? Gotta be some bad karma in that! OK, so I hope that tells you something, even if it wasn't what you wanted to hear.

Comment

tai chi snob says:

Perhaps it's just my Taoist point of view, but I always felt there was a bit of incongruity to the fact that the Buddhists of the Shao-lin monasteries developed so many fighting styles based on ferocious animals. Where were their heads at? Gotta be some bad karma in that! OK, so I hope that tells you something, even if it wasn't what you wanted to hear.

did you not see the sign above the door on your way in?
                "I'm like Tupac: Who can stop me?"

Comment

nah i don't concur with that 'fighting styles based on fierce animals is bad' idea.

The principle is to be one with nature (your own 1st) and to understand/absorb/mimick the essence/energy style of the creatures we are surrounded by that are good at fighting. Rabbit style might not have had the same effect.

And as these self defense systems where said to be a matter of life and death in past centuries, wouldn't that justify a fighting system? though it's a well known paradox that peaceful bhuddist monks should practise a martial system, I think its pretty natural (if slightly romantic to me) that they should use deepened self knowledge with physical practises and self defence practices for their own safety.

Comment

Working...
                  X