X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the hospital hippy hole

lets hope this gets more popular
    "did you ask me to consider dick with you??" blooming tianshi lotus

I don't think that's a bad idea at all, as long as they don't go around practicing on the actual patient. If they just want a room where they can pray so's not cause any trouble, then by all means.
    Becoming what I've dreamed about.

Comment

"Hospitals are definitely working toward accommodating growing multiculturalism," Lee said.

dont know why, but that just kinda sounded funny.

Comment

I'll save my laughs for when they have sections and wings for Mexican, Chinese, German, Japanese, Ethiopian, Tibetan, etc patients. That will be the day.

Comment

lol...

The hospital has published rules for use of the room. Peyote, used by some American Indian groups in ceremonies, and other drugs are prohibited, as is the "practice of any religion or act which is diametrically opposed to the Roman Catholic Church." The hospital lists "Satanism, Wicca and Voodoo" as examples.
          The room also features a window situated so Muslims can pray toward Mecca. Syed Hassan, a physician at St. Alexius, said he and the dozen or so other Muslim doctors at the hospital use the room for daily prayer.
          so let me get this straight. if a religion sacrifices goats or worships trees, it's "diametrically opposed to the Roman Catholic Church". but if it specifically calls all christians infidels, and may or may not call for the violent conversion of all of them, well then, just try not to bother the other guests. that just about matches the level of coherency i've come to expect from the church.

as for my feelings on whether or not a hospital should have a meditation room... honestly i don't care. it's their own hospital, they can do what they want with it.

now, when taxpayer-funded hospitals start including state-of-the-art, $100,000.00 meditation pagodas, complete with Qi Machines, that's when i'll have a problem.

Comment

thats exactly why i thought it sounded funny.

Comment

Hospitals aren't sects or divisions of the church...if that were true, they would try to convert you or make sure you're of the faith before they treat you, which I don't believe commonly happens.

Comment

naturally. it's only funny because they specifically say that "practice of any religion or act which is diametrically opposed to the Roman Catholic Church" is prohibited in the room, yet still allow the practice of islam.

Comment

Because Islam is a branch of the exact same mesopotamian religious tree as christianity (*cough cough* they're all jewish whether they admit it or not).

And as for the church and hospitals, the catholics have they're hands pretty deep in the health care system. How many hospitals do you know named St. John's? Or St. anything for that matter? Most of the older nursing colleges are deeply catholic or protestant. Frankly I think this is a wonderful idea, and as long as they aren't buying 10,000 $ qi machines, I would support the same thing happening in publicly funded hospitals. But then again I've seen research on chronic pain patients who practice daily meditation as part of a pain management regimen.
                  Show me a man who has forgotten words, so that I can have a word with him.

Comment

But the real question is, is there a nun with a ruler watching the security camera in the meditation room, standing next to an alarm that says "ring bell in case of heresy"?
                    Show me a man who has forgotten words, so that I can have a word with him.

Comment

they are all jewish in a sense, except they kill each other. but the catholics not so much, lately. and the catholics have a lot more in common with the pagans they so despise than they'd like to admit.

anyway, the thing is, space is at a premium in publicly funded hospitals. it seems to me that meditation, reiki and the like can be done pretty easily without patients needing to go to a special room to do it. the doctors do need to keep a sanitary environment, so the herb burning i guess would have to be left to the docs' discretion. and hey, if the hospital for some reason does have plenty of room to spare, why not devote a room to this stuff, if the customer really wants it?

basically i'm in favor of giving patients the opportunity to help themselves in ways they feel is appropriate, when it doesn't threaten the safety of the other patients. not in spite of, but especially if it's a publicly funded hospital. that's different than using tax money to buy a qi machine, or to build a special extension to a hospital, or to pay a reiki practitioner $150 an hour.
                      Last edited by zachsan; 08-08-2005, 06:41 PM.

Comment

lil' tangent. similarities between islam and catholocism

Whatever doesn't kill me had better be able to run damn fast.

"You are one of the most self-deluded immature idiots I've come across here for a time..." —Blooming T. Lotus

Comment

I feel religious debate coming up....where's Lipster when you need him.

Comment

hehe, you mean, "where's Lipster to start that religious debate?"

Comment

Working...
                            X