Void

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Void

Alright...id really like to have a discussion about buddhism, i searched the internet for awhile to find some good buddhist boards and i came up short..ive been to shaolinwolf and..well the people there are a bit..off

they have some good discussions over there but id really like the regular posters to start talking more about buddhism or chan or whatever i mean it seems like all we talk about is kung fu..qi gong..and the work cock seems to get into alot more convos lately..

sooooo anyway

we got like almost 700 damned registered members, someone PLEASE speak up about anything buddhist related

im eager to discuss the subject with a relatively mature crowd

even if its in another section or something..talk about buddhist books/writings or whatever..buddhist movies..media..buddhist diets..buddhist clothes..buddhist whatever i dont care lets talk buddha

I REALLY WANNA TALK BUDDHA DAMNIT

ok rant over but not forgotten!!

peace
    "did you ask me to consider dick with you??" blooming tianshi lotus

ooooo

ooooooooooo i see 9 people can view the thread but not reply huh..

well ill just keep ranting till somone speaks up.............

YAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGG

Comment

Well I may not be a buddhist but I meditate regularly with the UConn buddhist association.
      And let me tell you, when those buddhists arent silent, all we talk about is the war.

Personally I've always found talking about buddhism to be helpful at first, and almost detrimental later on. A zen master once gagged as he walked by students fervently discussing Zen. He said to hear them talking about zen made him nauseous. The point is, there is a great deal of the buddhist experience which cannot be encompassed by words, and to try to do so sometimes ruins it. But you need not worry about that in the begining. But aside from that, what do you want to talk about?

Theravada? Mahayana? Zen? Chan? Rinzai? The arhats? Or how about a lively discussion about the merits of Thich Nat Hanh's doctrine of engaged buddhism? Pick a topic and we can roll with it.
      Show me a man who has forgotten words, so that I can have a word with him.

Comment

well...

in the begining eh..heheh alright..

i noticed you seperated chan and zen..thats interesting lol..well to say the least..

id much rather talk about vajrayana then anything..but whatever you or anyone else wants to talk about is fine with me

im really interested in tracing the teachings of the original patriachs up to bodhidarma( i know the history after his trip to china) and im also interested in the lineage of the dali lama

and if anyone has any info on the origination of samsara if it was a hindu or buddhist belief originally(im pretty sure it was hindu but i wanna know more about it anyway so dont one of you guys just be like...raaa its hindu take that maestro or something..)

id like to know more about the philosophy behind that..and id also like to know about some of these present day shaolin temples and if they practice any tenets like the 8 fold path or whatever..and how often is chan incorporated into training? i know in some schools its only used as a relaxation tool..but youd think a shaolin "temple" would be different..but maybe yan ming and them dont consider them real temples just gong fu schools? this is something ive been thinking about for awhile i know everyone calls em temples but all everyone ever talks about is..how the training is crazy and how yan ming is a chi monger and whatever else..you never seem to hear(around here and wolf anyway) ohh..i had such an enlightening experience in meditation today..or oh i mastered the lotus sutra or whatever yknow?

and if anyone has any real knowledge of why the japanese took to the lotus sutra so passionately id really like to know more about that...

basically as you guys can see im looking for historical and then some about buddhism and i made some specifications..i dont really wanna talk about the concepts or the intuitive understanding..or the this or thats, because i feel ive moved beyond those kinds of intellectual discourses..im really interested in learning about some of the origins and some of the original dietys

but i am willing to discuss concepts and such if anyone else wants to just for the mere pleasure of thinking about buddhism cause it always is a pleasure and the same goes for any school of buddhism/taoism/confucianism etc christian religions and such to..but mostly buddhism!! ooooooo

so anyway peace guys, and ty for reply dao

Comment

hey!!

c'mon, I always stressed the Ch'an...it's why I train. For awhile I thought I was sounding like a broken record...

From what I have learned so far, as far as the Shaolin temples, they have a saying, Ch'an Chuan Yi Ti, basically to say, gong fu and ch'an are one body. Yan Ming will say that gong fu is not something you do, it is something you sort of become. I'm sure I've posted THAT before, especially with the WKK dimwits. There are other, more secret sorts of things I guess for lack of a better word, that bridge the two- overlaps I call them. Like there are certain movements in some of the forms that have no martial purpose, but are moves translated from ritual, or conceptual devices- like many people say there were 36 chambers- in actuality there were 72, because Songshan was considered a Holy and sacred mountain range, and there are 72 peaks, often techniques were broken into these mathematical equivalents. You've probably heard of the

I'm going to ramble here a little bit and hope it's germaine. Conceptually it is a little strange to join a martial practice with buddhism, ie) violence, but the idea is that Damo eradicated the boundaries of what meditation actually is- if a practice is perceived as a vehicle towards destroying duality then anything can be meditation. The Japanese really took this idea and ran with it, and zen can sometimes be seen as having jumped beyond the concept of buddhism. I think this concept of practice as vehicle stemmed from what is said to be the first Ch'an transmission, on Vulture Peak. The Buddha sat in front of the assemblage of thousands not saying anything. He held in his hand a lotus flower. The assemblage grew uneasy. They waited for the Buddha to speak, like he always did, like they had grown accustomed to. But he remained silent. He contemplated this flower, and lifted it up. He held aloft this single flower, and of all the thousands Mahakasyaspa alone smiled. Buddha called him over and said, "What can be said I have said already. What I have not said, this has been transmitted to Mahakashyapa."

So it has been said that this was the first Ch'an transmission. Some say this story is made up. Who cares. It's the concept.

This was at the heart of my argument that the Yi Jin Jing is also, conceptually, a sutra. An action language sutra.

Compare Mahakashyapa with Damo, when he entered China and all the people came to hear him preach. He didn't say a single word, just sat there. Many people reacted to this with disdain, many with humor, some anger. He didn't say shit to Hui Ke either, not until Hui Ke's action of cutting off his own arm.

Also, in the story of Hui Ke's ascendancy to 2nd Patriarch, Damo asks of his disciples what they have learned. One by one each disciple tries to speak to Damo, who nods and says to each in turn, you have attained my skin, bones, and marrow, according to what each had said etc. (or words to that effect) and finally Damo turns to Hui Ke. Hui Ke alone of all the disciples says nothing, but raises himself up, then falls at Damo's feet and kow tows. One of Damo's disciples, the nun, it is recorded she remarked words to the effect of, those who don't know speak, the one who knows does not say.

One of my favorite sayings of Damo:

"No direct transmission from scripture.
          No dependence upon words and letters.
          Direct gazing upon the soul of man;
          Understanding one's own true nature.
          Thereby achieving one's own Buddhahood."

If you ask Yan Ming what he teaches, he will say he teaches Ch'an Buddhism. While he is not the most orthodox buddhist by a long shot, that is actually why I chose to train with him, we do follow the basic principles of doing good and avoiding evil. While the 8 fold path is sort of a given, the primary focus in the buddhism classes presentlly is the Heart Sutra and the history of Shaolin. Formal sitting meditation has been practiced but is not a focus. I think he likes action meditation, dong ch'an, better than bu dong ch'an.

As far as enlightening moments, these are often very private affairs but I don't mind talking about some to provide an example- the biggest enlightening moment for me was when I walked into the temple, about 8 months after I first spoke to him, and he turned, looked at me from the rear of the temple, and said, "Finally." That same night I realized, after 2 hrs of gong bu, that mind and body are inseperable.

I learned a lot about myself in that one moment.
          "Arhat, I am your father..."
          -the Dark Lord Cod

Comment

artwork

a japanese print by sesshu...
            Attached Files
            -the Dark Lord Cod

Comment

ch'an chuan yi ti

the character for ch'an...
              Attached Files
              -the Dark Lord Cod

Comment

chuan

chuan is fist or style or here stands for gong fu sort of...
                Attached Files
                -the Dark Lord Cod

Comment

yi

yi is one...
                  Attached Files
                  -the Dark Lord Cod

Comment

and finally, ti

ti is body
                    Attached Files
                    -the Dark Lord Cod

Comment

you shoulda..

you shoulda put those pics in one post and condensed em..now your gonna hear from doc...hehehe

anyway..arhat man thats like exactly what i expected you to say, because i have heard you and bodhi say that many times and i always enjoy getting deeper into you guys lives lol

you say more and more interesting stuff the more you talk about the same thing..it takes a little goading on my part it seems..

but that was a good explanation of your training ive always been interested in yan mings philosophy of the whole body working as 1 muscle i mean of course me being a "scholar" of chan ive heard that kind of thing before, its just cool to hear it being taught and all that..

as for vehicles i feel anything can trigger an awakening, its all perspective, some people see things and they walk away a completely different person..others just see it and walk away, its all perspective

albeit..there are some advantages to meditating..i mean that cant be denied, but lack of sure doesnt hold back the practitioner etc

some times it bugs me how some of these buddhists can be elitists and make wild claims when there whole philosophy is based on what the buddha said, and hes said alot of stuff that blatantly denies there misconceptions about what buddhism is..

its why i love chan so much its not even buddhism to me its just chan its so free spirited and open minded..its the way buddhism should be to me anyway..and it doesnt lack anything the other schools have, its philosophy hold back nothing thus lacking nothing..if you want to do this..do it, if you want to go there..go its all perspective, of course there are guidelines everyone should follow, but its like the taoist say.."to the perfect man everything is right under heaven" its just so plain and to the point..chan is my hero

anyway rant over..

peace

Comment

Well seeing as how my studies of buddhism have been quite shallow indeed, let me address the few small issues that weren't addressed by brother arhat. Samsara is a very old hindu concept. It is beleived to predate the Upanishads by many centuries and the ideas of samsara are very influential in the older vedas. The idea that samsara is nirvana is a bit more questionable. Several smaller, more unorthodox hindu sects started to validate the idea around the same time as buddhists were begining to preach that samsara is nirvana. Not that I'm accusing buddhists of preaching, thats just the word that came out of my typing fingers........... Personally I think the sentence applies to any two aspects of a non existant duality. Samsara is nirvana, birth is death, existance is nonexistance, matter is energy. But enough of that.

As for the 36 chambers......... It was my understanding that they refferred to 36 cavities which if struck properly could be lethal, and that there were 72 other strikeable cavities which were nonlethal for a total of 108 acupuncture cavities which can be hit in a fight. But perhaps it also based on the peaks of that mountain range you mentioned, the sankhya school of buddhism was real big on ennumerating things and the notion that the microsm of the human body was a mirror of the macrosm of the world would certainly have justified the idea of basing human anatomy at least partially on geographic anatomy.

And now to end with a question that has next to nothing to do with anything else in this post........
                        How many of you folks believe in a permanent self?
                        Show me a man who has forgotten words, so that I can have a word with him.

Comment

i thought..

i thought the 36 chambers where training halls

Comment

I tried...

..to put them all in one, but it kept giving my comp agita and I had to keep relogging in and everything, and I'd lose the thread, so I just said I'm going to Phuket and put them up singly. Besides, that drives up my post count.

Well I am sure there are a bunch of symbols and allegories behind the numbers 36, 72, and 108...this was just one glimpse at the rich lore of all this stuff...all I can relate in this instance is what I was told, and that was that while many people think there were 36 chambers, that in reality there were 72, and that is the plan for S.Yan Ming's upstate temple- it will be based on a dharma wheel layout of 72 rooms, and each room will have a certain skill or skill set trained therein- when you master it, you move to the next room...and so on...

As far as "permanent self," do you mean a consciousness that exists beyond death? Or do you mean that physically every atom that makes you up presently has always existed since the get go?
                            -the Dark Lord Cod

Comment

I'd like to hear more about what you experienced....

"some times it bugs me how some of these buddhists can be elitists and make wild claims when there whole philosophy is based on what the buddha said, and hes said alot of stuff that blatantly denies there misconceptions about what buddhism is.."

I felt a lot of this too, not just in Buddhism, but also Catholicism. But I'd like to hear more about your experiences in regards to the "Buddhists..."

So...like what? I mean, anything beyond the wkk stuff, although Lord knows that's a rich vein...
                              -the Dark Lord Cod

Comment

Working...
                              X