teaching someone takedowns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• teaching someone takedowns

Any suggestions on teaching a bunch of kids how too take someone down? This is an intermediate group of kids. Anyone got any ideas?
    "If you want pure self-defense buy a can of mace." Grandmaster Villari (I think that is it).

How did you learn?
    Becoming what I've dreamed about.

Comment

First things first. Falls. Do they know how to tumble.
      Show me a man who has forgotten words, so that I can have a word with him.

Comment

Dao said it. Falls. Front, both sides and back. I think they should be comfortable falling from standing before doing takedowns.

Then I start with basic takedowns, usually applications from our first forms that call for manipulating two easy balance points (shoulder and ankle, to start) First one specifically is deng ta.
        Whatever doesn't kill me had better be able to run damn fast.

"You are one of the most self-deluded immature idiots I've come across here for a time..." —Blooming T. Lotus

Comment

I hope they know how to do falls as it's part of the curriculum but we might want to work that more. Usually we teach them how to do takedowns from a kempo. We teach takedowns from combinations, overheads, sideclubs, etc, too, but usually it's easiest too do from a kempo.
          Last edited by Greenknight2; 08-26-2005, 02:41 AM.
          "If you want pure self-defense buy a can of mace." Grandmaster Villari (I think that is it).

Comment

Falling and rolling first. Even if they know how, its always good to review. Next pick a few choice, very basic takedowns, no more than five. Have them briefly drill the techniques from a basic position. Once they have the hang of that, get them engaged in some sort of game where they are allowed to perform the technique with little or no resistance. After a few lessons of this format, allow the students to go at full randori; kids love that!
            -Jesse Pasleytm
            "How do I know? Because my sensei told me!"

Comment

takedowns? well it depends i guess on what style of takedown youre talking about. in wrestling there is no instruction on how to fall, and the first and most basic thing that is taught is the double leg takedown, followed by the quicker single leg takedown.

on the other hand, in judo, one is taught how to fall, roll, and be thrown. And usually the first throw that is taught is the major hip throw, or o-goshi, since it utilizes the whole body, after the throw is demonstrated, the students then take turns throwing each other, continuing to do so several times, the same for wrestling. In turn, when the students are confident in there abilities(well...confident or not, they will get there) you can let them go live, or play rondori.

to leran the throw, or takedown, one must train the throw, repitition, repitition, repitition, then live application... work their asses off!
              "Life is a run. In attack we run, in defense we run. When you can no longer run, time to die" - Shichiroji "Seven samurai"

Comment

Well atleast I got the "work their asses off" part right.

Comment

The art of putting someone down is more difficult in MMA. In an MMA situation, timing is even more important because attempting a takedown at the incorrect moment can have disastrous results. The following suggestions can help you improve the effectiveness of your takedowns in mixed martial arts:
                  • Get Better At Striking
                  • Drill More Often
                  • Expand Your Arsenal
                  • Improve Your Stamina

Comment

Working...
                  X