Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

the principles of combat, according to thou...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the principles of combat, according to thou...

im assuming that we all know how to fight, right?

well, what are the ever so effective components of your own fighting system?

what are the principles that you must always incorporate and never forget?

for example, i believe training the mind in order to apply maximum potential to offensive and defensive movements. how this is done is a long story which im sure all of you are familiar with

another thing is rythm and the ability to time your opponents rythm to break and attack/intercept, constant wavelike stepping or internal movement to aid in the judging of and creation of the weight flow in your opponents body in order to stop, break momentum, counter, defend, redirect, deflect, displace, attack etc.

what else... guard? defense? tactics?

well of course you must know your technique before you can practice and perfect it/meditate on its functionality to obtain an understanding of the energy alignment used in the performance and application.

what are the principles that you apply while throwing a punch, kick, joint lock, throw, takedown etc? how do you set up for attack? what is your strategy? from your knowledge, what can you say are the principles important to martial arts combat?
    Last edited by master splinter; 08-26-2005, 07:12 PM.
    "Life is a run. In attack we run, in defense we run. When you can no longer run, time to die" - Shichiroji "Seven samurai"

i would love to share my fighting experience with you, but most fights that i get into, i don't remember in the morning.
    Last edited by zachsan; 08-26-2005, 08:25 PM.

Comment

Most of my fight strategy consists of deliberately injuring my opponent.

..ok not really...
      Whatever doesn't kill me had better be able to run damn fast.

"You are one of the most self-deluded immature idiots I've come across here for a time..." —Blooming T. Lotus

Comment

wow what an intelligent and fruitful conversation so far! lol

my style emphasies the clinch and close range. bridgeing with the whole body is important, disrupt the person not just his attack. this correlates to many things. the most effective components of my style would have to be the diversity of the system itself. not only is the blend of internal and external power unique to our system it correlates to the way in which we fight which is to be as shaolin would say "soft as cotton, hard as steel". my style has always been famous for fist techniques. which is a paramount method of our philosohpy and training. the sensitivity of the bridge is also of great importance in controlling the energy of your opponent and exploiting it. although there are many different methods of playing my system imho sensitivity is one of the most important aspects as it is relative to understanding most if not all arm techniques taught in shaolin.

principles such as "a hand never comes back empty" are important. aswell as incoporateing attack and defense simultaneously which is a common theme in shaolin arts. it is also important to mention the 5 elements theory, which are of great importance to the way in which a technique is executed in my system. aswell as the foundational energys of yin/yang and the 6 harmonies. these along with bow energy are the most fundamental and important to obtaining the most out of my system. i feel the shaolin animals are of mention aswell but most would brush off this as something in which they already have expierience, when in reality every system has a different method of expressing the animals, which means differeing methods of expressing energy or power.

on a basic level, the most important aspects of my style are to be quick, and powerful. powerful bridges via the arms and the legs is of upmost imporantce. aswell as a sound understanding of yin/yang energy. in chinese martial arts it is said the most important factors to winning a fight are guts, speed, and skill and imo this is the most important factor of any system, includeing my own.
        "did you ask me to consider dick with you??" blooming tianshi lotus

Comment

look to the east, strike to the west. If you want to punch someone in the face, step on his foot. If you want to footsweep him, throw a jab at his face.

Always keep your guard up, keep moving.

Lower you stance. Use rotation to create power.

Punch from your heart. Literally, in a straight line outward from you sternum.

Strike with your breath, let the punch be a natural result of the breath.

If they're trying to kill you break their fingers.

Abuse your advantages as much as possible.
          Show me a man who has forgotten words, so that I can have a word with him.

Comment

you mean streetfight ?
            son of the light

Comment

The sparring side of what I trained in was partially aimed at competitive full contact fighting so that no doubt influenced the prioritizing of techniques.. but the most basic but also possibly most important thing that my instructor drilled into us over and over was just "keep your guard up". He used to watch you training and any time your guard dropped would slap your face with an empty bag glove.. if your guard still dropped he would make you hold your ears so your guard could never drop.. eventually we all got it!

20 years later when training I still find that my guard is always up without having to think about it so the instructor did a good job on that! Always annoys me when watching fights (boxing/k1/mt etc) when a fighter drops his guard all the time..

Another thing drilled into us was to always use combinations.. none of this one kick/punch and stop/move back stuff.. always attack with multiple kicks & punches.. exceptions made for deadly one strike dim mak death touch..

Oh and lets not forget the immortal words "float like a butterfly, sting like a bee"

Comment

In long range i use low shin kicks,front kicks,or sweeps.No high kicks against an experienced opponent!
                In close range i use elbows a maximum and if possible knees.
                Move fast and precisely,don't underestimate your opponent.
                When you train THINK,when you fight DON"T THINK.
                The attitude of the mind will determine wether you win or not.
                It's like if you had to jump from a cliff,even knowing you have a parachute you will still hesitate...So i work on being simple and quick:i just jump without thinking.It works well for me.
                I also strongly believe that after having practised the same movements thousands of times they will come out naturaly,and for me it is the real skill of a fighter...There is no time for analysis sometimes!!!!
                The East? The West?

Men and Women, that's all...

Comment

centerline theory; intercepting hand and sticky hand; rooting, moving the center, attaching the center; crossing the bridge; straight power and borrowing force; adhering and discharging. Sticking to sense the opponent.

I'm an infighter. My goal is to get my opponent off balance and not let him regain it, bringing him into my range and firing off multiple strikes and/or takedown.

"On tum chum bil loi lau hei sung"
                  Welcome in the guest and when we get tired of him we kick him out.

Take in opponent's power, neutralize it, and return it to him many times over.
                  Whatever doesn't kill me had better be able to run damn fast.

"You are one of the most self-deluded immature idiots I've come across here for a time..." —Blooming T. Lotus

Comment

Always annoys me when watching fights (boxing/k1/mt etc) when a fighter drops his guard all the time..
                    most of the time, when you see professional fighters do this, they're trying to lure their opponents in for a sucker punch. or, in the late rounds, they've having a hard time keeping their hands up because they've been knocked in the head so many times.

i haven't sparred for a while now, but my philosophy was always to try to put the other guy off guard mentally, in other words, to scare him. how to do this depends on the personality of the guy you're sparring. sometimes, just staying cool and keeping him at a distance is enough; when that fails, the whole wolverine-berserker-rage thing is handy.

unfortunately, this had the unintended consequence of limiting my sparring opportunities.
                    Last edited by zachsan; 08-29-2005, 05:41 PM.

Comment

heh sounds like plum and dao have been doing wing chun lately

i would have mentioned plums points and daos but i thought they were to basic to mention..and in a round about way i mentioned some, if u know what to look for anyway.
                      "did you ask me to consider dick with you??" blooming tianshi lotus

Comment

wow, nice.

many interesting points points from all the gang,im pretty much speechless, so we are all in-fighters i presume? yeah me too, i have no particular style at the moment, but i am studying judo.

when i fight, i make myself fell very light, no tension in my body, at the same time, i am feeling the opponents weight in areas of his body where it is light and heavy, when the opponent is heavy, i counter with becoming light, when the opponent is light, i counter with being heavy, a person is always swaying, yet very slightly.

haha, i like to say that i picked up some of my techniques from tai chi ba gua and xing yi, though i dont know how far studying from a book and zhan zhuang training has taken me, but i do feel a significant difference in the way that i approach a match(street, tourney) it is the subtle shifts in gravity combined with motion and acceleration, it has greatly increased my striking power and other types of power also,
                        yet i still have alot to learn, hopefully we can share some more tips. cheers to all you guys here at russbo.
                        "Life is a run. In attack we run, in defense we run. When you can no longer run, time to die" - Shichiroji "Seven samurai"

Comment

I clocked a dude in the face today cause he slapped me a little. His glasses fell off and broke. Now he wants me to pay 20 bucks for some crappy old glasses.

I'll give him 15.

This is the way of the warrior.
                          Becoming what I've dreamed about.

Comment

man slaps you a little, clock him.
                            glasses fall, they break.
                            you need buy glasses, ask for discount.

Excerpt taken from The Dao of LeiYunFat
                            ZhongwenMovies.com

Comment

BS........ lots of styles don't even do centreline theory........

Imo, satori ( ??? 's "mind training " concept mostly IMO foot speed awareness and fine motor reaction sake.......... apps that will carry off the damage you decide u need to pacify / ko or run the hell away for a nice legal law man to finish the job ( and for me these being ( ??...pending situation etc) mainly various WC / pressure point hands / come taiji nthn shaolin for stepping and fist type sake/ xing yi / wu sthn arms for my body type come whatever take down / lock or exernal app + as necc ......... and a style ( or combination of ) that allows you to move in way your body can easily and naturally kick into to. ..............

.....timing and a good block .........something you can easily and consistently land in follow-up that'll matter and a good contingency flow and pan detatchment zone thereafter ...........

possibly not worth much to yourself, but cheers anyway............. and don't forget to saturate your body with long slow breaths in lieu of panic and thought ........... dammedd adrenaline shakes
                              "don't think..............!!!!!........ Doooo! "

cheers

Blooming Lotus

Comment

Working...
                              X