Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ever compete against your teacher?

ever compete against your teacher?

I am planning to take part in a small tournament in a few months and just found out that I'll be competing in two events (open hand and weapon forms) against my teacher.

I'm not new to competition by any means, but feel a little intimidated by the prospect of competing against him...
    One thing this means to me is that I have to train harder, of course.

any thoughts to share?
    Whatever doesn't kill me had better be able to run damn fast.

"You are one of the most self-deluded immature idiots I've come across here for a time..." —Blooming T. Lotus

hmmm, might be interesting...
    "If you want pure self-defense buy a can of mace." Grandmaster Villari (I think that is it).

It's a potentially disconcerting thing for a moment or two......

Obviously you have times when you spar against them right???... same sh*t Plum.

I think the thing with that is that you need to be prepared to leave afterward. ..... because when you win... you'll want to leave them with some face to recoup. ...... and should loose... you get to lol and smile because you're exactly where you should be .

Just relax, play gongfu, do your thing , use the force ( or rather don't forget that thinking will comprimise your satori and reaction time and slow you down ) and either way.... tsall good

cheers
    "honestly girls dont seem to want anything other then whatever they want "atm" then that can always change:"
    maestro's love genius.

first we work to live, then we live to work, ..& then when someone else can do it good enough without us - we can all run off and die.
    Blooming tianshi lotus

"find something & thatd turn me on.." drahillionaire, warren buffet.

'if you keep going, eventually you get there' chuck norris

Remember one thing.

If he really was a good teacher, then you should have no problem beating him....
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
    russbo.com

I've had experiences "competing" with teachers all the time. The one that comes to mind is this one teacher who probably thought I was there to show off or make him look like shit. Only because on the first day I came to him with questions for a form he didn't know. I was brand new to kung fu then, I had no idea...The whole time he probably thought I was some smartass shit who thought I was better than everyone. I would never show him anything that would even constitute as this...He would always single me out and shit. He had a lot to teach me, more than many people in this area, but he's cut me off like some tumor...I even got his contact and asked him if I could start learning from him again...that was about a month ago. No answer.

Whatever, he talked too much anyway.

In short, yes, I do have experience "competing" with a teacher. If by compete you mean I had to go out of my way to get instruction while trying to gain the respect I deserved from his fragile ego/pride.

I could have learned a lot from that man...
    Becoming what I've dreamed about.

My old teacher used to say that it was his job to make us better than him, so I respect what doc says in this case.

On the other hand, I've never competed in forms or anything like that against him. When we'd spar, he'd have one of us just about hyperventilating under his right arm, the other under his left, while someone else was being choked between his legs, and the remainder usual stood a couple feet away, unable to continue. That's four against one. One on one...no thank you.

But if it's forms...then it's forms. Go out there, represent your teacher, school, and yourself. Have fun, and know that if he or she really is a good teacher, then the outcome isn't really a mark of anything important. It's the daily effort that counts. It's your interest and passion that's important. Brother and sisterhood is what's being represented. Plus, well, everyone has good and bad days, only teachers seem to generally have fewer bad ones.

good luck.

g

LYF, you wouldn't have learned shit from that man.

You're better off. You don't need to be learning anything from people like that.
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
    russbo.com

Kick Oso's ass...
    practice wu de

lol... That's the plan, NP.

BL nailed it, it was only disconcerting for a moment or two.

Doc was right as well... My Sifu has trains me to beat him. Besides, I have sparred and competed against other instructors before and won.

My teacher is a beast of a guy, an amazing KF player, tons of power generation in his form work. Then again, I will rock that sword form.

So I got over it, and now I must go practice. The tourney is in november, I'll let you know how it turns out.

Thanks for the words when I needed them, ya'll.
    Whatever doesn't kill me had better be able to run damn fast.

"You are one of the most self-deluded immature idiots I've come across here for a time..." —Blooming T. Lotus

Open tournie, cma?
    practice wu de

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast