ever compete against your teacher?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ever compete against your teacher?

I am planning to take part in a small tournament in a few months and just found out that I'll be competing in two events (open hand and weapon forms) against my teacher.

I'm not new to competition by any means, but feel a little intimidated by the prospect of competing against him...
    One thing this means to me is that I have to train harder, of course.

any thoughts to share?
    Whatever doesn't kill me had better be able to run damn fast.

"You are one of the most self-deluded immature idiots I've come across here for a time..." —Blooming T. Lotus

hmmm, might be interesting...
    "If you want pure self-defense buy a can of mace." Grandmaster Villari (I think that is it).

Comment

It's a potentially disconcerting thing for a moment or two......

Obviously you have times when you spar against them right???... same sh*t Plum.

I think the thing with that is that you need to be prepared to leave afterward. ..... because when you win... you'll want to leave them with some face to recoup. ...... and should loose... you get to lol and smile because you're exactly where you should be .

Just relax, play gongfu, do your thing , use the force ( or rather don't forget that thinking will comprimise your satori and reaction time and slow you down ) and either way.... tsall good

cheers

Comment

Remember one thing.

If he really was a good teacher, then you should have no problem beating him....
        Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
        russbo.com

Comment

I've had experiences "competing" with teachers all the time. The one that comes to mind is this one teacher who probably thought I was there to show off or make him look like shit. Only because on the first day I came to him with questions for a form he didn't know. I was brand new to kung fu then, I had no idea...The whole time he probably thought I was some smartass shit who thought I was better than everyone. I would never show him anything that would even constitute as this...He would always single me out and shit. He had a lot to teach me, more than many people in this area, but he's cut me off like some tumor...I even got his contact and asked him if I could start learning from him again...that was about a month ago. No answer.

Whatever, he talked too much anyway.

In short, yes, I do have experience "competing" with a teacher. If by compete you mean I had to go out of my way to get instruction while trying to gain the respect I deserved from his fragile ego/pride.

I could have learned a lot from that man...
          Becoming what I've dreamed about.

Comment

My old teacher used to say that it was his job to make us better than him, so I respect what doc says in this case.

On the other hand, I've never competed in forms or anything like that against him. When we'd spar, he'd have one of us just about hyperventilating under his right arm, the other under his left, while someone else was being choked between his legs, and the remainder usual stood a couple feet away, unable to continue. That's four against one. One on one...no thank you.

But if it's forms...then it's forms. Go out there, represent your teacher, school, and yourself. Have fun, and know that if he or she really is a good teacher, then the outcome isn't really a mark of anything important. It's the daily effort that counts. It's your interest and passion that's important. Brother and sisterhood is what's being represented. Plus, well, everyone has good and bad days, only teachers seem to generally have fewer bad ones.

good luck.

g
            ZhongwenMovies.com

Comment

LYF, you wouldn't have learned shit from that man.

You're better off. You don't need to be learning anything from people like that.
              Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
              russbo.com

Comment

Kick Oso's ass...
                practice wu de

Comment

lol... That's the plan, NP.

BL nailed it, it was only disconcerting for a moment or two.

Doc was right as well... My Sifu has trains me to beat him. Besides, I have sparred and competed against other instructors before and won.

My teacher is a beast of a guy, an amazing KF player, tons of power generation in his form work. Then again, I will rock that sword form.

So I got over it, and now I must go practice. The tourney is in november, I'll let you know how it turns out.

Thanks for the words when I needed them, ya'll.
                  Whatever doesn't kill me had better be able to run damn fast.

"You are one of the most self-deluded immature idiots I've come across here for a time..." —Blooming T. Lotus

Comment

Open tournie, cma?
                    practice wu de

Comment

something that i would just like to mention here..yes im sure alot of you have heard the old "i train you to be better then me" thing, ive heard it..but then when i think about my sifu, i know, theres no way i can hope to surpass him anytime soon. maybe further down the road with a freakload of hard work i can get to his level and still be younger then him, but then he will have undoubtedly moved on to another plateau

this whole i train you to surpass me deal is common theme in CMA, the next generation is ALWAYS supposed to be better in some way. unfortunately in the last 100 years or more skills have been going DOWN not UP. can i say that ive trained as hard as my sifu? yea right, the guy has been doing ma since he was 8, along with doing a shitload of grappling and other things i need not mention, coupled with his hung and taiji skills that surpass the period of time ive been alive, ontop of which he is only in his early thirtys, no way can i see myself surpassing him anytime soon. and his sifu is a very very famous sifu which is ridiculous in his own right

the point is, do they really train us to surpass them? what this means is in reality they are training you at a different pace or method then they had originally been taught. the transmission of knowledge should be greater since everyone learns and experiences different things, the older generation always teaches something from the old to the new, therefore they can impart alot of wisdom and save you alot of time. in that regard there are possibilitys..but they cant gurantee we will be better then them. chances are 1 in every 10,000 MAY have a chance to surpass a REAL master. not some shit head instructor or whatever but a real master is not an easy thing to surpass..if such a thing is possible, because a real sifu will never stop getting better

and on the subject of sparring your sifu, well lets just keep in mind here sparring is sparring and fighting is fighting. ok if you know anything about fighting and you think these little gimpo sparring matches at tournaments mean jack then your sorely mistaken, im sorry if some of you are proud of your little gold metals or whatever but inreality they mean very little. ive seen a shitload of tournaments were people will represent a style and do a form in ridiculous fashion and get medals and honors for it..theres an ego booster right there. for one doing a form good is not something to be awarded IMO its expected of you to be able to execute your techniques with speed and power, grace and agility, all of that, and most of these people getting awards cant even do that let alone the fact that giveing out these awards gives people a false sense of security when it comes to combat prowess. which is probably a big factor in why no traditionalists ever fight, anyone.

just recently on shaolin wolf they had an article about a shaolin monk fighting in k-1 and he got his ass handed to him..i wonder how many wushu trophies he has in his school...
                      "did you ask me to consider dick with you??" blooming tianshi lotus

Comment

It's funny that comes up about training a person to beat you.....

When I train someone in gongfu ( or anything for that matter) , I just give them the appropriate best of my knowldge and train them like I want them to know and be competant as opposed to twd any other goal at all really ..... I get excited when they train or study hard and if they pick up their own insights and can expand and actually apply what they've been shown, then this is extremly cool and I get a shot at a new insight of a vulnerabilty of my own I should probably tend to.....
                        Let's not get distracted by the shiney sashes and trophies then ha

In the end , I believe it comes down to the individual in how "good " they end up ( even when shjown the same material) and in how they interperate and execute what has been presented them. To be hung up on who's winning is still the same old same old. Just play gongfu ............ lol...crazy egos ! .......

BtL

Comment

It's the whole idea of I've seen what worked with me, maybe I can streamline this process, etc. Either way, at the point your at, you'll always be behind someone with that sort of time somehow.
                          practice wu de

Comment

That's just not true Stylee. People "beat" their teachers and seniors all the time, and they perceive things differently . Some ppl can train their whole lives and 'never' really "get' gongfu .... others can walk in and ( as esoteric as it potentially sounds ) realise that they've known and understood it their whole lives......

Imo there's two sides to this coin and I noticed it on the Mortal /Maestro b*tch off - one up a piece on each - that it seems to come down to actual skills and apps ( the yang side of it all) and then understanding of (yin) less tangible mind related concepts to pull it all off with...... like satori and qi and internal principals and pressure points and meridians and the other sublte aspects that effect speed and stance and reaction and form and flow that for example a Muay Thai Dojo would never to rarely even be aware of let alone teach a person and why with my only 15-16 yrs experience , I can walk into a world class MT gym as an MT newb and spar a grown 80-90- ?+ kg adult male player of 18 yrs Muay Thaiing with my tiny fml warrior zone on, block everything he throws , know I can land my hits ( as later done in similar situations of higher graded players of other systems from WC to Bujinkan Shidan and so on ) and not wanting to make a show of them walk out almost embarressed for them seeking someone with better understanding to share...and why I just dig so much being out at Shaolin and with other traditional masters and GM....... and why in the industry there've been coined phrases like "McDojos"....

Doc said earlier himself , as I believe myself that alot of the Xing generation and latter, just didn't get the same information and instruction or didn't "get " it the same as their seniors, though to find yourself in company of someone of their students who did.... presents a whole dfferent card.

I'm nearly sure that has to sound arrogant but I was considering Maestro and Mortal as I flicked through that thread and who 'd win if they came to spar and I think that though Mortal has imo better skill and experience and app variations, Maestro often seems to have understanding of other things that should he know his points and meridians would make me believe he'd win. At this stage it'd probably be a good fight and hard to call from here but it's just not that cut and dry.
                            Last edited by blooming tianshi lotus; 09-12-2005, 07:45 AM.

Comment

I was running a few thoughts on how my gongfu has come together to be what it is ( or isn't ) over a couple of hrs work out and had to stop and post before I forogt......

I think the reason that ppl are 'not' getting stuff out of their lessons the way they did way back when and particularly post CR ( and when the Xing generation came about btw ...and how you 2 going ?? :/ ..... ) , is because that then and prior , from conception.... where there was gongfu, there was also usually either buddhism or daoism ( and particularly in China who has the 2nd largest population in the world and the largest number of maers on the planet aaand at a time when tcma obviously only existed in China) where the essential elements of internal ma facets were just a part of the way that the vast majority of ppl knew the world to be.

When I myself started exploring the world of gongfu , it began with qigong and wicca and huuge theology studies and parrticularly about Egypt and ancient greeece and also studied meditation and fitness instructor courses and so on. I think that for me, it worked similar to back in the day, in that those particular facets in their most basic foundation were instilled before I really got to any serious martial artistry bar some tkd and wrestling and street boxing and conditioning and then branched into medical interest and it's probably quite similar to how it came together for themselves...as opposed to today where most westerners living in a predominantly christian society, who don't really give a toss about their health or knowing what goes on inside their bodies ( with obesity the number 1 killer in the US for example claiming the 'Majority' of the nation .....let alone the psychology and lifestyles that go along with that ...... speaking of sheer craziness ) wiith totally different perceptions of the world, end up having aalot of trouble grasping what the bejeezus we're on about and how it relates to the artistry......

that's why you get old grandmasters telling you to go make peace with the universe...... I think it's kind of a zen prequ... I 'm not saying that you need to be exclusively buddhist or daoist to 'get' gongfu , because clearly it happens that ppl do without ever having known that buddhism exists..... but then again , I think we decided on this board a while back , ( or at leadt 'I' did ...) that you could know the path of buddha and cultivate a buddha nature and not've ever made the connection that that's what we call the way you function.

Sorry for the rant and you don't have to agree, but it's another perspective anyway.

cheers

Blooming Lotus

Comment

Working...
                              X