No announcement yet.

ever compete against your teacher?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I see what your saying. I carry the same setiment, whether it's actually possible for one to go beyond there teacher or not. But in my situation it wasn't said as some kind of blanket statement. Actually my teacher and I had a very close thing at the time; he hoped I could be an assistant instructor, being I decided to move back to the area, and said it to me... just before he said he'd be willing to teach me everything he knows. So It was said in that vein, and I appreciated it on that level as well, but also understood it be one hell of an accomplishment. I couldn't see it, even if he did.. Anyhow, seeing the guy work so hard to teach what he does with the love he has for it, well, I just thought it was basically said with class, and I was glad to be part of it. And since Plum has been with the same teacher for what appears to be a worthy period of time, as she's competing against him, I think it's reasonable to assume a good teacher has good things in mind for their dedicated students. working under an assumption...

peace....

oh, I think I got maestro's back here, especially if BL's on Mortal's side!!!!

g
    ZhongwenMovies.com

Comment

Slightly off topic here........... has anyone else ever watched competitive breaking (karate) competitions on ESPN? There's this one guy, looks like a mean mofo, multiple time breaking champion. Every time I see him I cringe, not because he's good, which he is, but because everytime before he competes he steps up and yells, "JUDGES! With the help of our Lord Jesus Christ, I will break these bricks for you!" Something about the whole situation disturbs me.
      Show me a man who has forgotten words, so that I can have a word with him.

Comment

"JUDGES! With the help of our Lord Jesus Christ, I will break these bricks for you!" Something about the whole situation disturbs me."

I love that guy!! What a true weirdo! LOLOL So funny!

For the record I could NEVER be better then any of my wushu teachers. And I could NEVER be better then my wingchun teacher. Neither of who would compete because it wouldn't be fair. They are on a much higher level in what they do. I can't imagine why a Sifu would compete in a tourney. Especially against students. I could barely compete against my sifu's senior students.

All that pressure point esoteric qi stuff doesn't help you land shots and apply techniques. You could know where all the pressure points to kill a man are but try applying them when he is attacking in full fury. Not going to happen.
        My point is why study all those aspects if you don't have your basics to a high level in whatever your art? I'm talking near Sifu level.

I don't know who would win between maestro and myself. I do know this. When he left he would respect me.

Comment

Originally posted by mortal
          You could know where all the pressure points to kill a man are but try applying them when he is attacking in full fury. Not going to happen.
          Did you sign up for the Blooming Lotus rant of the month club or something? Troll.

I didn't mean I could beat him consistently - I'll never catch up to him as he won't ever quit training - THAT's why you don't beat your instructors, because at least in the case of my instructor, they are continually honing their skills too. If you have greater natural abilities than your teacher, you can certainly surpass him/her. I think that only happens rarely, however.

For me the intimidation was less about losing than about simply going up as an equal competitor to my teacher. He and I have a history as friends, and I have been an assistant instructor for a few years. But as I said, I'm good with it now.

For the record, If you personally don't like competition, that's cool. If I decide to compete, I also decide to win. What's the point of competition otherwise? Although organized comps like the tourney I'm headed for are for fun (and in this case, for a good cause), the only valid test of practical martial ability is to pit yourself against another MAer of equal or greater ability and see how you fare. Competition is not about ego if you approach it as an opportunity to test yourself and use the information you get from it to improve.
          Whatever doesn't kill me had better be able to run damn fast.

"You are one of the most self-deluded immature idiots I've come across here for a time..." —Blooming T. Lotus

Comment

"I'm nearly sure that has to sound arrogant but I was considering Maestro and Mortal as I flicked through that thread and who 'd win if they came to spar and I think that though Mortal has imo better skill and experience and app variations, Maestro often seems to have understanding of other things that should he know his points and meridians would make me believe he'd win. At this stage it'd probably be a good fight and hard to call from here but it's just not that cut and dry."

lolo, now im the meridian master?!? wtf how is this making any sense to anyone?

lol
            "did you ask me to consider dick with you??" blooming tianshi lotus

Comment

"oh, I think I got maestro's back here, especially if BL's on Mortal's side!!!!"

I wasn't even in the discusion yet and I had a side. Ok.

Comment

[QUOTE=mortal]"

All that pressure point esoteric qi stuff doesn't help you land shots and apply techniques. You could know where all the pressure points to kill a man are but try applying them when he is attacking in full fury. Not going to happen.
                My point is why study all those aspects if you don't have your basics to a high level in whatever your art? I'm talking near Sifu level. [QUOTE]

U'd think right !?!?......

lol......

'Especially " near sifu lvl!! .......... ( and just quietly why my own sifus and shihan etc wonder why the goddamed this fml system newb is consitntly blocking everything they throw and keep landing those freaking strikes on te pretty sashed as*es.......... kind of like that MT guy I was telling you about back there ....and the bujinkan shidan ( black belt 10 th dan + .......)

...What do you know about sticky hands ??? ............ speaking of full fury and training for it ...... and that's why martially my qi and integrity twd is so important ........... like many many greatly skilled players for up to centuries before us ( and including the period of gongfu's first integration to the west) ... I am very very tiny and unfortunately or not.. external principals alone just aren't going to do it!

the thing is Mortal, that by understanding the "esoteric" side of things..... you learn how to react properly and improve your timing and sensitivity to how your opponent is moving and shaping up to strike and your balance to block and absorb and deflect and position yourself more effectively imporoves and then with pressure point knowledge it just opens up your options to vulnerabilties that are more convenient to land from where you are and you get to dictate better what your best option is ........

what about taichi ???... look at some pressure point charts if you can find some and see where all these styles are landing their blows ........

it helps when you know what you're doing......... funnily enough.......

no wonder you have issue with hunggar....... just didn't get it ha .....
                well we understand!

cheers
                Last edited by blooming tianshi lotus; 09-12-2005, 11:14 PM.

Comment

From this point forward, insubordination will not be tolerated on these boards, this goes for everyone, especially this BL character.....

BL, it's time for another stint.... Come join me in my layer, it's nice and toasty down here.

For the rest of you, don't feed her, at least not till I get her to the crib... she doesn't need it (actually, now that someone has sent me a picture, this thin thing might need some food, but don't feed the troll)..

OK, that being said, please donate, or for those of you whom owe money to others, pay up, I'm taking donations to get this money back, so don't be tardy in installments.

Other than that, Hi my name is beelzebub, I am the prince of demons...

Comment

Wtf sort of comment is that?!?!......

need some food ha?? you sure you 're not just getting to much??.....

and no-one sent you a photo at all !!.........idiot!

Comment

so what happens when i give u all my doc dollars? will someone down their teach her how to type coherantly?
                      "did you ask me to consider dick with you??" blooming tianshi lotus

Comment

Hey, Satan got an intern.

Attached Files
                        Whatever doesn't kill me had better be able to run damn fast.

"You are one of the most self-deluded immature idiots I've come across here for a time..." —Blooming T. Lotus

Comment

i really don't see the point of sending her back to hell. she talks just as much, and as maestro correctly implies, it hasn't done anything to improve her ability to express thoughts. since conceivably she won't ever shut up, and doc won't ever outrightly ban her, there's really nothing left for us reason-loving frequenters to do but resign ourselves to the changed state of the russbo forum.

Comment

That would be true if she was causing a ruckus in hell. Before she was released, or discovered she was released, Russbo was an almost calm place. BL was almost feeling acceptance of her position and was starting to actually shut the **** up, due in part to most people just staying away from the hell section.

I say return her to her rightful place.
                            Becoming what I've dreamed about.

Comment

Lol.. no Lei yun... I was just busy doing business...... shut up???.... lol..... phd study .. new business ... teacher ....... 'ch'an' buddhist ....model...groupie / stalker pacification..... gongfu afficionado.....negotiations... meetings..... lovers ... friends..family .... shoots....that doesn't happen ... but dammed if it doesn't be nice!

and you wonder why sacrificing our peace for yours hurts so good ???

Someone's gotto do sh*t.....

cheers.
                              Last edited by blooming tianshi lotus; 09-14-2005, 12:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by blooming tianshi lotus
                                Wtf sort of comment is that?!?!......

need some food ha?? you sure you 're not just getting to much??.....

and no-one sent you a photo at all !!.........idiot!

IDIOT!?

lol, you might have just messed with the wrong character.....

Oh, and upon request, there were two people who actually gave me the link to a thread with you picture (then one even emailed it)...

Idiot.

Comment

Working...
                                X