No announcement yet.

ever compete against your teacher?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I guess my first thought when I read this post was, "should he be competing with his students?" I kind of agree, I think it's an ethical issue.

On is the next generation better then the next? I think it's important to look at the motivation of the individual. There are people who study martial arts to say they are in martial arts. While there are also people who do because they want to be the best they can be.

Does your teacher have to be better than you in order for you to gain something by studying with him or her as the case may be? They may have something something to teach you even if they aren't the fastest or the strongest. Without someone to push you, how far will you go?
    "If you want pure self-defense buy a can of mace." Grandmaster Villari (I think that is it).

Comment

"I guess my first thought when I read this post was, "should he be competing with his students?" I kind of agree, I think it's an ethical issue."

That too. But should masters really be competing at all? They should just be in the masters demo at the end or something. To me a master is so good that if he did chose to compete it would be at a near professional level or higher. Not at some tourney where the level of competition is average.

"On is the next generation better then the next? I think it's important to look at the motivation of the individual. There are people who study martial arts to say they are in martial arts. While there are also people who do because they want to be the best they can be. "

I agree. People who are devoted, have natural talent, and have been training for many years are the only people who should be called Shifu. Anyone else is just an instructor not a master. This is the problem in the US. People train 10 years in 10 different styles then call themselves sifu and open a school. Yeah he knows more than some newb but he is no master. This is the guy you'll be competeing along side at the tourney. Because he never got that good in any one art.
      I have taught kungfu to many people but I am no Sifu. Not even close.

"Does your teacher have to be better than you in order for you to gain something by studying with him or her as the case may be? They may have something something to teach you even if they aren't the fastest or the strongest. Without someone to push you, how far will you go?"

He doesn't have to be better. But it would make logical sense. Why would you call someone teacher if you are better then them?
      You should be able to self motivate your way to Sifu by training on your own with no one to push you. Any great master I know is self motivated.

Comment

competitions are usually there to prove something. whos better at forms, whos better at sparring with a ****load of rules with gay ass gloves and a helmet and shin pads and all this other shit on. etc etc

imo, like mortal, i dont think a real sifu should have anything to prove. when you talk about NHB or MMA or even k-1 yknow, alot of those fighters could careless about proveing anything. maybe they are there to test their skills..but for the most part you can do that at your gym or whatever, most of the pro atheletes in the MMA tourneys are in it for the dough

fighting in tourneys whether they be wong fei hung tourney to the NHB and MMA prove nothing. real fighters know this, dillusional people or ignorant peeps who dont understand reality believe tournaments, breaking etc prove shit.
        "did you ask me to consider dick with you??" blooming tianshi lotus

Comment

They do prove that almost everyone gets a medal now....

I suck and I always come home with tons of hardware. I do however enjoy competing it motivates me to train harder for a few weeks or a month. I realise that I don't train as hard as I could all the time, but at least I realise it. I don't have any problem with a sifu going and competing in forms or something, it's just to see where you're at in an out of school environment. Sometimes these tournies put worse blinders on people than they already have, but for people who have a grasp on reality, it can open your eyes a bit.
          practice wu de

Comment

Never been to a tourney, but I have used all that sparring gear. I wanted to spar some TKD guy and when he got out the pads, I was wondering what the hell was going on...I thought we were gonna get some gloves and headgear and just go at it. He didn't even "allow" me to punch. It was ridiculous, and after I gave up and just walked away, people still treated it like I lost some kind of battle.
            Becoming what I've dreamed about.

Comment

The tourneys in this area offer full contact sparring. Ruleset's reasonable, too. "Crotty" tournaments are quite different, been to a couple of those myself.

My Sifu has never competed in forms - he's a brawler. He certainly has nothing to prove, I just think this is going to be a casual environment, the entry fee goes to a good cause, and he just thought he'd throw in with the rest of us.
              Whatever doesn't kill me had better be able to run damn fast.

"You are one of the most self-deluded immature idiots I've come across here for a time..." —Blooming T. Lotus

Comment

Well, since you put it that way, kick Oso's ass.
                practice wu de

Comment

Pm, recently I've seen your elder gf brother (kevin?) spending some time with an older guy who teaches southern mantis and also doing some push hands with various groups around town... still haven't introduced myself though. i'm usually enroute to class.

Anyhow...if you enjoy yourself, nothing else is all that important I guess.....

be well,

g
                  ZhongwenMovies.com

Comment

yea, Shrfu Kevin Brazier. I have only met Kevin online, had a few discussions with him when I was designing the pong lai website. He's a wealth of gongfu knowledge (mantis especially) and a nice person to boot. I wholeheartedly look forward to the opportunity to train with him some day. Very cool that you cross paths with him occasionally!

"You are one of the most self-deluded immature idiots I've come across here for a time..." —Blooming T. Lotus

Comment

oh. i just caught that onesp1ng was talking about your "GF brother". that makes the statement "I have only met Kevin online" more understandable. or at least a lot less depressing.

Comment

I caught someon else using PM's old avatar of the cat with the green thing on its head. On bullshido. What is the world coming to?

Comment

WHAT?

why I oughta...

Comment

i dont think that you should compete against your teacher. seems disrespectful.
                            "Life is a run. In attack we run, in defense we run. When you can no longer run, time to die" - Shichiroji "Seven samurai"

Comment

That's exactly what my "teacher" thought. Honestly, if the teacher wants to do it and you want to do it, it's all good because it's consensual.

Beating your teacher and rubbing it in his face, now that's disrespectful. But there shouldn't be lines you never cross just because of someone's ego.
                              Becoming what I've dreamed about.

Comment

well if you can beat your teacher, why call him teacher?
                                "Life is a run. In attack we run, in defense we run. When you can no longer run, time to die" - Shichiroji "Seven samurai"

Comment

Working...
                                X