Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Please help on answering some questions I have!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting around

I've been living in Shandong for about four months now. I can speak the basics of Mandarin and still find it hard to get around. I traveled in Japan and Taiwan with no problem but mainland China is another story. I can be extreemly frustrating at times. But no worry ! I say you should go for it anyway ! It may be hard from time to time but thats part of what traveling is all about.
    As for studying ??? I am fortunate enough to have a Shaolin school nearby to study at. I study under monks Shi Yan Xu and Shi Yan Mo. Both of them are young guys the older is 27 and like many monks these days they do eat meat and wear normal clothes. The older even has a girlfriend who helps out at the school. Though he clames they don't have sex...
    Anyway, I have been studying there for two months and all I have learned is a few basic drills, all straight line stuff. I have mainly been working on no-handed cartwheels. After that I will learn back hand springs, and then back flips. Only then will I begin to learn any Gongfu / Wushu. If this sounds good to you then get your ass to China. However, I study at a school where I am the only foreigner to walk through their gate. I pay no money. So I am completely at their mercy. I am sure that if you study at a school closer to Shaolin, say one you find online, then you should be learning Gongfu / Wushu without the need of mastering any flips.
    Hope I helped.... Good luck.
    "Winners turn to losers, losers are forgotten..." - A Tribe Called Quest

Comment

some suggestions

hi
      some of my friends search kind of kungfu school through the google
      wish it can work for you.

Comment

some suggestions

hi
        if you want to study ,you can search kind of school through google
        some of my friends did it. wish it work for you

Comment

Honestly, you would be happier if you just went and scoped things out a bit first - everyone who posted so far is on point. Everything is cash - including cab fare to get out. No credit card except at the shaolin international hotel but you're looking at ~70us /day if you look like a foreigner. cheapest I found was 250y/ day at the songshan hotel. Staying at a school would be cheaper but again, the toilets make you think.

Comment

Oh yeah- there are a number of places in china known for their martial traditions- give them a thought too-deng feng isn't the only place to study

Comment

Working...
            X