Immigration Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Immigration Issues

Considering the events of the last few months, I have quite a bit to say about this.

But first...

Get A Job
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
    russbo.com

Oct. 24, 2005 issue - The three-alarm fire had already claimed three lives. When San Francisco Fire Chief Joanne Hayes-White arrived at the burning downtown tenement in the middle of one night last month, she noticed several residents huddled on the sidewalk refusing treatment from her paramedics. Gently quizzing the terrified survivors in Spanish, the chief learned why: the illegal migrants, who were living 12 to a room when a mattress caught fire, feared that their rescuers would turn them in for deportation. Hayes-White assured them that wouldn't happen. Then she summoned a bilingual officer to continue comforting the survivors while they received first aid. "People think it's all brawn," she says. "But more often than not, this is a job that requires a lot of interaction with people. There's a real sense of calm that comes in a crisis when you relate to someone who looks like you, speaks like you and thinks like you."
    Newsweek. Or, was it Time... Amazing, as I see some issues here which the major magazine didn't even broach...
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

russbo.com

Comment

I don't think I follow...
      Becoming what I've dreamed about.

Comment

Read the post. Read into the story. I think it's actually quite comical, and, sadly, representative of how our government views this immigration stuff.

Which, I've become attuned to, since I went through the xw nonsense.

russbo.com

Comment

If you're here, you're here.....

It also basically says that a bunch of illegal migrants?!... a whole nother issue there.. anywho, were scared that they were going to get deported, either way, they 1. got cared for for probably free 2. didn't get deported 3. didn't go through the propper means to get here, but get to stay because, well, who the f#$k cares anymore.
          practice wu de

Comment

I look at this a little differently.

Yes, if you're here, you're here. But, as I spend over a significant amount of time out of the county, I notice changes a lot easier than those who are here all the time. And, the southwest is becoming a completely different world. I have nothing against Mexicans; they're hard working people, well, at least the ones that I deal with. But I've seen some bad sides to this illegal immigration stuff, from the medical profession viewpoint and otherwise. This story that I saw in Newsweek, really kind of hit a nerve. And demonstrated how stupid our society is becoming.

If you accept the fact that these housing establishments that cater to Mexican immigrants, and I know they exist because my mother owns a bunch, you understand that it is not uncommon for these places to become full with legal and illegal immigrants. Yes, you get some legal families that are working hard to make al living. But, you also get illegal ones, that tend to hide in these places, much like was described in this article, to the point where you get dangerous overcrowding.

In the complex where we own some land and apartments, we have an owner that has twenty illegal Mexican immigrants living in one apartment. One six hundred square foot, two tiny bedroom apartment. Well, it's not only comical thinking how these people can possibly sleep in this one little apartment, it's sad, and illegal. Really highly against fire code. Having that many people, who tend to be highly uneducated, and, in many cases, involved in some sort of illegal acitivy, is one hell of a risk. We've seen all sorts of shit going down in our little complex, but fortunately, we've yet to see fire. I have no doubt, that one day, it's going to happen. When you have that many uneducated people crowded into a small place, shit happens.

So, in this story, you have a building that probably is full of immigrants, and it is easy to presume that some of them are illegal. If you have one that has twelve people to a room, no doubt you have others. These people congregate together in their housing. And in this story, the whole sympathetic "we'll take care of you" attitude is prevalent. In fact, it was the purpose of the article. But, other issues are ignored.

Issues, such as, three people died. Unnecessarily.
            No doubt the remaining family members will find some attorney to sue the owner of the building.
            Others no doubt were injured, and in need of medical care. Burns are horrible things to deal with, from a patient, staff, and facility standpoint. These people tend not to have insurance of any sort; society ends up paying for them to some degree; medical professionals usually end up donating their time to take care of these indigents.
            Firemen were put at risk unnecessarily; and the local city had to foot the bill to deal with the disaster.
            The insurance company will not only have to pay for the building damage, but will have to deal with the inevitable lawsuits. There's an attorney around every corner just waiting for something like this to happen. And they don't care that their clients may not only be illegal, but in some way responsible.

Basically, we open our doors to these people by the very fact that we really do nothing to get rid of them. They cause problems and issues that our society has to be ultimately responsible for. We're heading towards a situation that many countries in Europe are now experiencing; the immigrant (legal and illegal) birthrate and growth rates are overtaking natural born citizens. And now, in France, you see the result.

For those of you who don't live in the southwest, you may not really see this. But we see it all the time. Illegals driving, getting into accidents, not being able to communicate, causing all sorts of insurance events, and, for the rest of us, ever increasing rates. What the article basically misses, is the fact that someone has to pay for it.

Being nice doesn't cut it anymore. It has to be paid for.

russbo.com

Comment

Working...
            X