Thank God for Dover Voters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thank God for Dover Voters

Intelligent design will soon be history in Dover Area High School science classes, following an election that is reverberating around the country.
    They voted out every member of the school board that wanted to force a ridiculous intelligent design "disclaimer" into science curriculums. Thus, whatever happens in the pending court case doesn't much matter, since the new board will decide to remove it from the curriculum anyway. Not that I wouldn't still like to this thing shot down in court, though.

Anyway, finally, the voters in my home state have done something right.

What is intelligent design? I can't open the link without signing up for some website.

Comment

That's bizarre. Here's a link to a similar article:

Intelligent Design is basically the theory that life is too complex to have evolved naturally, and thus It Must Have Been God. I could go on an extended rant about the specifics of it (no big surprise there) but that's basically what it amounts to. Suffice it to say that where a real scientist would see an interesting problem requiring further study, IDers abandon study in favor of the God explanation.

Comment

Intelligent design is basically: "If I can't explain it completely, then it's magic" with a little bit of "your explanation threatens my fragile beliefs" tossed in for good measure.

May the wisdom of the Dover voters spread across the U.S.
        Whatever doesn't kill me had better be able to run damn fast.

"You are one of the most self-deluded immature idiots I've come across here for a time..." —Blooming T. Lotus

Comment

I knew what it was, thanks for the refresher.

I think all theories should be taught. Then let the person choose what they want.

The evolution theory has huge missing link in it.

To me neither theory sounds logical.

If we came from monkeys why are they still around. Since they allegedly evolved to us. With a huge missing link in the timeline.

God just snapped his fingers. To mystical with no real supporting evidence.

I think we just evolved like everything else. But not from monkeys. Just our own human thing.

I also regretfully say I don't think there is a God. I went to catholic school my whole life. Was even an alter boy once. Just too man made.

Comment

I think we just evolved like everything else. But not from monkeys. Just our own human thing.
            That's basically what evolutionary theory is. We evolved from hominids, which weren't monkeys or apes, but were apelike.

Plenty of theories should be taught in school, but only scientific theories should be taught in science classes. ID is not a scientific theory.

Comment

I thought that both theories should be taught as well, but then I did some reading around till I found that ID is not even at all scientifically sound. It can't be tested or run through the rigors of science like evolution can (and has). Most popular ID'ers today just base the theory on the faults and the "unexplained" as well as the strange "phenomenon" like gravity and our planet's placement as well as the missing fossil records.

I don't know who's quote that was, but it was posted on this site, it said something like, "Creationists assume the absence of evidence concedes evidence." Which is stupid, because when you think about it, it's all just rationalization as to "I want God to exist. Therefore, here's all the evidence saying he exists."

But when it comes down to it, you can't scientifically test intelligent design. It's more like, "this is how it is. Believe it." And if it turns out to be that it's now "how it is," then the whole "theory" will just be recalled, reformatted to a more user-friendly design, and redistributed, like it has many times before.

I also agree with you, mortal, that most religions are too man-made, but that doesn't mean God doesn't exist. It just means their religion isn't as holy as they would like to believe.

I'm pretty ambiguous about believing in God myself...I almost want to believe it and almost feel like it's the right way to go, but I still need proof. And what would constitute as proof? Again, I wouldn't know. That's what's so ambiguous about it. I used to think that proof would be God coming down and saying, "Hey, boy, I'm real. Belee-dat, motha ****a."

But then it would make more sense to say, "Hey, God, back off. You gave me this free will and free mind too think. You doing it for me is not helping me out. You gave us these laws of thought, and we are gonna abide by them. You coming down here to break the laws in order to do something for me is also not helping me out... Can I have 100 bucks?"
              Becoming what I've dreamed about.

Comment

Leiyunfat

GREAT POST. I agree with your feelings about religion. I want to belive but I doubt. Sometimes it makes perfect sense sometimes it just feels like wishful thinking.

Comment

And now for our Ass Of The Day... currently with an all-time Ass Of The Day record of 364 days out of the last 365...

Who else? PAT ROBERTSON!!!

Originally posted by Pat Robertson
                  I'd like to say to the good citizens of Dover: If there is a disaster in your area, don't turn to God. You just rejected him from your city.
                  Mr. Robertson elaborated:
                  Originally posted by Pat Robertson
                  If they have future problems in Dover, I recommend they call on Charles Darwin. Maybe he can help them.

WHY ARE YOU SO STUPID, PAT????? WHY?????????????

Comment

But remember, kids. Intelligent Design is NOT religious. It's science. God just gets all smitey when it comes to certain scientific topics.

You think this is bad, you ought to see all the smiting that goes on at thermodynamics conferences...

Comment

First he suggests assasinating the president of a south american country, then hurricane Katrina was sent to 'cleanse' new orleans, and now all of Dover is damned.

I am looking forward to the day that it is publicly acknowledged that Pat Robertson is insane.

"You are one of the most self-deluded immature idiots I've come across here for a time..." —Blooming T. Lotus

Comment

wait.. it gets better...
                        Pat Robertson on Sunday said that the tornado in Indiana and Kentucky was God’s way of expressing His anger at the actor Warren Beatty and his wife, Annette Bening for trying to disrupt yesterday’s speech by Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger at a campaign rally in San Diego. “By choosing to disrupt this national event, these Hollywood elites have clearly invited God’s wrath,” Robertson said on ‘The 700 Club’ on Sunday. “Is it any surprise that the Almighty chose to strike at a town on the opposite side of the country?”

This might actually be good news. Maybe if I eat some shrimp coctail, God will express his wrath by giving a random Texan hives. I like the idea of punishments for my sins being meted out to arbitrary targets elsewhere on the planet.

Comment

That can't be true. Is that from the Onion or something?

Comment

I don't think it's true either, it's a random internet tidbit.
                            found it on a Pat Robertson quotes page.

Comment

That's spectaculary. Classic. Whatever happened to repent thy sins, accept Jesus Christ as your personal saviour, and god will forgive you? Now it's, you're all going to die in a horrible disaster because you've forsaken the creator in your science classrooms. Burn mofo's, burn.

I wonder where Mr. Robertson buys his crack.

The major flaw in my opinion of the intelligent design theory, is the importance they place on the incompleteness of the fossil record. If you know the slightest inkling of the geogolgy and statistics, you know that fossils are very very rare, and have poor chance of forming. Therefore it is the very basis of the fossil record that it will never be complete. Citing its incompleteness does nothing but validate the accounting theories which explain fossil formation and discovery. An incomplete fossil record has nothing to do with the validity of darwinian evolutionary theory.

On a second note, i have no physical evidence for this, but I beleive homo sapiens genetically cleansed the other hominid species off the planet during the last ice age when competition for resources got rough. I dont know who started that war, but I know our species is damn good at finishing wars, not to mention starting them.......... I think it makes more sense than the theory that the other hominid species simply died off during the iceages, in the same locations as homo sapiens, because they couldn't cope.

Every species I know that didnt make it thru a period of living near homo sapiens didnt make it because they couldn't cope with our rather violent tendencies, not the particulars of the environment.

Also, I subscribe to the aquatic ape theory, that homo sapiens evolved from a partially amphibious hominid ape, thus explaining the lack of body hair, increased body fat, and partial digital webbing homo sapiens exhibit in comparison the great apes. But that theory was shunned out of the anthropological community, because A: it was proposed by a women, and B: the old anthropologists who really like the savannah theory are still alive. Just my two cents.
                              Show me a man who has forgotten words, so that I can have a word with him.

Comment

Working...
                              X