Narcissism: "Spare the rod, spoil the child, er, monk..."

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Narcissism: "Spare the rod, spoil the child, er, monk..."

I think that you will find this most interesting.

And, relevant....

NARCISSISM (n. sing.)

A pattern of traits and behaviours which signify infatuation and obsession with one's self to the exclusion of all others and the egotistic and ruthless pursuit of one's gratification, dominance and ambition.

Narcissism is named after the ancient Greek myth of Narcissus who was a handsome Greek youth who rejected the desperate advances of the nymph Echo. In punishment of his cruelty, he was doomed to fall in love with his own reflection in a pool of water. Unable to consummate his love, he pined away and changed into the flower that bears his name to this very day.

WHAT IS NPD (Narcissistic Personality Disorder)?

The Narcissistic Personality Disorder (NPD) has been recognized as a seperate mental health disorder in the third edition of the Diagnostic and Statistics Manual (DSM) in 1980. Its diagnostic criteria and their interpretation have undergone a major revision in the DSM III-R (1987) and were substantially revamped in the DSM IV in 1994. The European ICD-10 basically contains identical language.

An all-pervasive pattern of grandiosity (in fantasy or behaviour), need for admiration or adulation and lack of empathy, usually beginning by early adulthood and present in various contexts. Five (or more) of the following criteria must be met:

1. Feels grandiose and self-importance (e.g., exaggerates achievements and talents to the point of lying, demands to be recognized as superior without commensurate achievements)
    2. Is obsessed with fantasies of unlimited success, fame, fearsome power or omnipotence, unequalled brilliance (the cerebral narcissist), bodily beauty or sexual performance (the somatic narcissist), or ideal, everlasting, all-conquering love or passion
    3. Firmaly convinced that he or she is unique and, being special, can only be understood by, should only be treated by, or associate with, other special or unique, or high-status people (or institutions)
    4. Requires excessive admiration, adulation, attention and affirmation -or, failing that, wishes to be feared and to be notorious (narcissistic supply).
    5. Feels entitled. Expects unreasonable or special and favourable priority treatment. Demands automatic and full compliance with his or her expectations
    6. Is "interpersonally exploitative", i.e., uses others to achieve his or her own ends
    7. Devoid of empathy. Is unable or unwilling to identify with or acknowledge the feelings and needs of others
    8. Constantly envious of others or believes that they feel the same about him or her
    9. Arrogant, haughty behaviours or attitudes coupled with rage when frustrated, contradicted, or confronted.

The language in the criteria above is based on or summarized from:

American Psychiatric Association. (1994). Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders, fourth edition (DSM IV). Washington, DC: American Psychiatric Association.

Sam Vaknin. (1999). Malignant Self Love - Narcissism Revisited, first edition. Prague and Skopje: Narcissus Publication. ("Malignant Self Love - Narcissism Revisited" http://www.geocities.com/vaksam/faq1.html )
    Seen this before?
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
    russbo.com

hmmmmmmmmmm>? tough one.
    ZhongwenMovies.com

Comment

sounds like me lolo
      "did you ask me to consider dick with you??" blooming tianshi lotus

Comment

Okay it must be rare to fins someone who complies with ALL of the above. But i knew some dudes whose brains were so ****ed up by drugs that they would look a bit like that.

I knew one guy who was such a spoilt brat, no sisters, no brothers, just two rich and unconscious parents who didn't know the word NO. These narcissic people just need a good psychologic slap to wake up but no worries they always get it one day in a way or another...
        The East? The West?

Men and Women, that's all...

Comment

I read somewhere there is a culture where the term "I want" doesn't exist. Like there is no words for it.

Comment

"I want" exists in Chinese. "Wo yao", if I remember correctly. Not sure if I got the pinyin correct.

And flow, it's actually not rare to find someone that has all, or most of those characteristics. In fact, narcissistic people tend to have many of those; they tend to "go with each other". This is more common than you may think; you'll find it in the world of martial arts quite extensively.

And trust me, Shaolin is not devoid of this....
            Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

russbo.com

Comment

Originally posted by mortal
              I read somewhere there is a culture where the term "I want" doesn't exist. Like there is no words for it.
              Probably some African tribe or something. Like from The Gods Must be Crazy. That was a great movie.
              Becoming what I've dreamed about.

Comment

I can't wait to taste Shaolin Narcicism!

It is true that in my MT club people are more or less humble due to the fact that it is a sport where you know any opponent is potentially dangerous. There is a real solidarity and respect, i don't see anyone particulary Narcissic.

But as i will start WChung in January i know i will see a lot of them, FOR SURE! 100/CENT!
                But it's ok i know how to deal with them.
                The East? The West?

Comment

But it's ok i know how to deal with them.
                  how? inquiring minds want to know>?
                  ZhongwenMovies.com

Comment

Deal with them?

The best way for me is to let them believe in their supremacy and play it naive. Never enter the ego competition with them they will not lose;stay calm and that way you are still in control. Let life teach them the lesson don't interfere. I believe we always gather what we sowed, very Christian isn't it?

But i'm just human, sometimes i just loose control too! But it needs to be really extreme! Like reading BL answers sometimes LOL!
                    The East? The West?

Comment

You ARE crazy!

Comment

I find it interesting the degrees to which people are narcissistic.

I mean it is accepted in almost all corners that performers in general have "performers narcissism"... something that the professionals differentiate from a NPD diagnosis. It explains why some like being center stage, and others detest it.

In my amateur opinion, Heng Xuan has this performers narcissism. As long as he is getting his narcissistic supply of performing.... he's relatively stable. This performing can be performing, teaching, hanging out with friends and students, etc. If this dries up.... its the witch in the wizard of Oz all over again, "I'm melting...!". Only he acts out whilst he's melting.

If he gets too much Narcissistic supply in one shot, like our wedding... its like he's going cold-turkey off drugs... and I think Narcissism does work like an addiction, which is why the psychs use terms like "Narcissistic Supply".

When he's like this, he lacks empathy... the rest of the time he's usually normally empathatic.

He was pretty bad again last week, as I've been busy... fortunately, he casted for and shot a pop video the last few days... so he's a happy puppy again.

Chicken

Comment

Another example of narcissism, presented in a different way than what we're used to seeing with one of our favorite "monks":
                          Sean “Diddy” Combs has some potent staying power. The rap impresario is apparently also a sexual maestro: he claims to have had sex for 30 straight hours.

Combs, discussing his romantic stay in Paris with his girlfriend Kim Porter, told the London Mirror: “As soon as we landed, we went straight to the Eiffel Tower, drank champagne at the top and just kissed and kissed. Then we went up to my suite and had tantric sex for at least 30 hours, ordering up whipped cream and strawberries while we were at it.”

Combs, who is not given to modesty, added, “As meticulous as I am with my work, I'm more meticulous with lovemaking. I like to do it for a long time.”

Combs then toured the city of love with Porter, the mother of his four-month-old twin girls. “After leaving our hotel, me and Kim were driven down the Champs-Elysees in my Mercedes Maybach at 4 a.m., with music playing in the background and we saw so many beautiful sights together.”

Despite his romantic feelings towards Porter, he’s not prepared to get hitched, explaining that he “would love to get married" but he “isn’t ready yet.”
                          What a waste of time...

russbo.com

Comment

Hahahahha

I love how he also has to mention what car he drove.

Comment

LeiyunFat

are you familiar with The Mirror newspaper? I would be very careful about deducing from anything they write on behalf of anyone else as there's probably only a 10% chance it could be factual.

I also want to understand what is it about the word "Paris" that makes Americans go completely delusional? Whether the capital of France or America's most vulgar heiress?

Chicken

Comment

Working...
                              X