Finally: The applications of wushu, revealed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally: The applications of wushu, revealed

But what is Spiderman doing in Russia, I wonder?
    Becoming what I've dreamed about.

seen this before, i think they call this sport parkour or something in france alot of em do it, its becomeing really popular, i like this video though
    "did you ask me to consider dick with you??" blooming tianshi lotus

Comment

people watch too many movies for real! but it was fing awesome. This will probably become the new extreme sport. maybe not in the US because we are all fat asses who can't taste bitter.....
      "What is barely legal?" - Ali G

Comment

I live in a farming town. We don't have decrepit old buildings to climb around on like they have in shadows of former superpowers.

Parkour, eh? Sounds really stupid, looks really cool.

Comment

martial arts and gymnastics are two totally different things.
          "Life is a run. In attack we run, in defense we run. When you can no longer run, time to die" - Shichiroji "Seven samurai"

Comment

I beg to differ. This movement is fluid, like water. It takes a lot of training and a certain mindset to execute these moves. Does that sounds familiar to you? There are many similarities, they are not as different as you may think. However, the same can be said with just about anything. Anything can be gong fu.

For instance, my poor calculus gong led me to bomb my final today. Too much qi, nowhere to apply it.

Comment

would definately have to agree with lei, whoever thinks martial arts and acrobatics dont belong in the same category obviously do not understand shaolin, because even though many think that the acrobatic shit is a invention of modern wushu, infact shaolin temple gung fu has always been this way, the difference between shaolin wushu now and then is shaolin wushu monks dont know shit, they cant fight, they dont know how to train for fighting, and their kung fu is not real its flowery fisted bullshit. only a select few actually have the goods.
              "did you ask me to consider dick with you??" blooming tianshi lotus

Comment

It's always funny to me the way we glorify the fighting abilities of monks who died before we were born and who we've never seen fight. But I digress.

I can't watch videos at work, but is this the jumping from building to building thing? If so, some people in the U.S. do it, too, they just call it "freestyle walking". Which is a stupid name, I know, but I didn't make it up.

Comment

But can this parkour be used for self defense?

The monks might not be the worlds greatest fighters. but to say they have no kungfu. lol Come on now. I have trained with three different monks for extended periods of time. i KNOW what good kungfu is. They have it.

Comment

of course, to posses the strength and skill to be able to do the things that these guys are doing is incredible, but just because you can do a triple backflip, doesnt mean you can throw a knockout punch, and it doesnt mean you can fight either. they may be stronger and more agile, but to be a good fighter takes combat experience. not to say that these guys wouldnt be exceptional fighters if they trained correctly, given the speed strength and agility that these guys possess. my point is, gymnists are not fighters, and fighters arent gymnists. this flipping stuff is just much better at getting you laid.
                    "Life is a run. In attack we run, in defense we run. When you can no longer run, time to die" - Shichiroji "Seven samurai"

Comment

this flipping stuff is just much better at getting you laid.
                      lol, I knew I was doing something wrong..

cool video anyway, really amazing stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by master splinter
                        of course, to posses the strength and skill to be able to do the things that these guys are doing is incredible, but just because you can do a triple backflip, doesnt mean you can throw a knockout punch, and it doesnt mean you can fight either. they may be stronger and more agile, but to be a good fighter takes combat experience. not to say that these guys wouldnt be exceptional fighters if they trained correctly, given the speed strength and agility that these guys possess. my point is, gymnists are not fighters, and fighters arent gymnists. this flipping stuff is just much better at getting you laid.

That's not really the point. The point of it was that you said gymnastics has nothing to do with martial arts. I said no, because the mentality and philosophy is relatively the same. And I went on to be like, gong fu and everything is relatively the same because everything is relatively gong fu.

Of course if you want to define "martial arts" as 'fighting', then you might have a little something different going for you. A good fighter needs experience. Yet most "martial artists" have never been in a fight, or never even apply their knowledge. And what about forms? Some people who can be defined as martial artist just do it for forms, which is basically the same thing as doing a sequence of triple backflips with a few double axels with some backhand springs thrown in for good measure. So even if you wanted to talk about fighting doesn't mean you'd be addressing martial arts [ists] in general.

-edit-

I think they call it "free running" now, which sounds way better.

Comment

Still a little silly, though. I always thought running was free. Unless that changed and no one told me.

Comment

Parkour is the guys name, I think

also I've heard it referenced as "urban ninja"

which is totally sweet.
                            Whatever doesn't kill me had better be able to run damn fast.

"You are one of the most self-deluded immature idiots I've come across here for a time..." —Blooming T. Lotus

Comment

Urban ninja. Wow. Hey, I used to drive a cab in New York. Do I qualify as an "urban ninja"?

Can't believe the forums are working....
                              Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
                              russbo.com

Comment

Working...
                              X