Shaolin kwoons/schools in Canada.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shaolin kwoons/schools in Canada.

Hi. I've spent the last couple of hours reading this site and find it great to have finally found the forum .

I'll just get straight to the point: I am looking hard on finding a "Traditional" Shaolin Kwoon around my Area but seem to have some trouble. I am not looking for Modernized WuShu but ancient Shaolin GonG Fu.

I live In Laval, Quebec, Canada.

So far I have only found one school that appeals to me, but don't know much about.

Here's the link:http://www.shaolinquebec.com/

I would deeply appreciate translated information about this school as I don't seem to understand everything being read.

Things I'd like to know most:

1.What do they mean by "Shaolin GonG Fu"? A friend of mine told me that he thinks they teach modernized WuShu. But yet I am not clearly sure..

2.Who is Shifu Mario Hetu (Heng Chang) ? Does he have any connection to Monks In China?

Sorry for getting so straight to the point but today's a busy day..

Recommendations would be truley appreciated! I am not looking at this to learn how to "fight" but to live this Way of Life.

-My future thanks to all!

P.S: I hope to learn a lot here and to enjoy myself.

I have seen this website. The guy looks a little hokey!? I can only assume he teaches the hybrid shaolin wushu but within that there are grains of what shaolin was. Plus he does wing chun so if anything it might be worth it to check out wing chun.

My instinct tells me its a bullshit school. However, I don't live near Quebec so it might be a different story when you actually go and check out the school in person. When you do come back and tell us all about it. Please. I enjoy hearing about others experiences when searching for schools.
    "What is barely legal?" - Ali G

Comment

The place looks nice, though. I think Doc has some connections with a Canadian school, somewhere on this site. In the nav bar, look under site contributors or something. The sifu is this really fat guy.
      Becoming what I've dreamed about.

Comment

Hi,

My name is Simon, and i'm new in this forum, and my english suck :S
        I live in Laval, Quebec and i train Kung Fu since 9 month at ChanWu Twins Warrior School. We learning Shaolin Traditional Kung Fu.

so i just want 2 say 2 thing:

1. That school is a Good School. I learned alot and i love to train here. Si Hing Serge and Si Hing Max are Amazing.

Tetsumaru said about Mario Hetu School:

Originally posted by tetsumaru
        I have seen this website. The guy looks a little hokey!? I can only assume he teaches the hybrid shaolin wushu but within that there are grains of what shaolin was. Plus he does wing chun so if anything it might be worth it to check out wing chun.

My instinct tells me its a bullshit school. However, I don't live near Quebec so it might be a different story when you actually go and check out the school in person. When you do come back and tell us all about it. Please. I enjoy hearing about others experiences when searching for schools.
        You're right. That a BullShit School. I don't want to make a big story, but i know that guy got some problem with Shi Xing Hong...

Well i hope vickbd will come and train with us soon! Cya!

Comment

where is the edit button to edit my reply?

wtf.. i have the edit button in my seconde replay but not in my first...

Comment

Hi Sim!

I also live in laval. I've been training at Sifu Hetu school and I also know shi heng Serge and Max. When chan wu opened just besides our school, I've almost made the switch. I know Alain and Johanne (are they still training there? It's been a while since I've spoke with them...) or Stephane Fillion. So you see that I'm not totally in unkown territory.

You say that Sifu Hetu as problem with Shi Shing Hong? Who told you that? Max? Actually mr Hetu doesn't have any problem with shing hong, it's just that when he went to his trip at shaolin last year he decided to follow Shi Yan Lu instead. He still as a lot of respect for shing hong. Heck, they're still some picture of him in the school. If he was so pissed off with him, don't you think that all traces of him would've been erased?

Also in the thread someone mentionned "the fat sifu" That's Sifu Da Silva, he's teaching here: http://www.shaolincanada.ca/ but I don't know how they're school is doing. Don't have any news from them in a while (well not since the students left in masse for chan wu because a certain instructor called all of his old students one by one...)

As for what Sifu Hetu is teaching, he's trying real hard to give us the traditionnal teaching. But in this day and age can we really expect no wushu stuff in anything? Besides that the class ressemble very much what is at chan wu. Ji beng gong are ji beng gong were hever you do them. Only difference his that we stopped doing "kung fu chuan" since it's not a form that's in the shaolin curiculum. Other then that, we still do lian huan chuan, tong be, chia hong chuan etc etc...

Have a nice day!

Comment

Hi Grail!

Happy to see some1 else who live in Laval! Your school on Boul. Lessage is close now since 1 month. We came back where Si Hing Serge started teaching before (At the Takewondo school). I know Alain and Johanne! Alain stopped doing Kung Fu since 3 month cause he want to concentrate on Tai Chi. Johanne still doing Kung Fu. Francois (Alain and Johanne son) still doing Kung fu. You know what? I know Stephane Fillion.... he's so cool!. He's always happy and he's never frustrated! lol!

For the problem with Shi Xing Hong, you have reason. He just decided to change. But why he changed? I don't know Si fu Hetu... And you're right for the picture

Got a question for u... you told you almost made the switch.. why you decided to stay at Si Fu Hetu school? And what your name?

By the way, i don't know if you know that. At the Chanwu competition, Max and Serge won first place in Sanda (each in a different category). That cool!

Have a nice day!

Comment

grrr... for some reason I lost my reply... shit... I have to type everything again...

I saw the school on lessage had moved. Why did they do that? That's just out of curiosity.

Glad to learn that everyone still training! Tell them that Dom said Hi!

For the change with shing hong, I can only say what I understood, not the "real" reason cause I don't really know them. I think it was important for my sifu to follow someone that lives full time at the temple. Shing hong his great but he does have his way of doing things. And I'm not sure sifu hetu was interested in the whole federation thing. In his mind you're with the temple or you're not I guess...

I didn't make the switch because when the new school opened sifu Hetu was coming back from his trip and he had some great projects and at the same time my k-fu became better, so I didn't see any urge to change. Also leaving my school for your's would've felt a little bit like betrayal to me... Right now I'mtaking a break of k-fu, I don't feel it anymore. I need some time off to see what I'll do. i might change school, style, stop completely or go bck, I really don't know. Time will tell.

I knew Serge and Max had gone to the competition, but never saw any results. Congrat to both of them!

Btw I really appreciate to speak with someone else from the other school without any "war" going on!

Comment

Hi gain!

They moved only cause thet had some money problem, not enought inscription, and the schedule had too much class (like 6 time a week for Kung fu). So the majority of time they had about 3 or 5 student at classe in the same time.

Now, at the Takewondo place, this is everyone in the same time (Kung Fu, Kids and sanda), but only 3 time a week so we have more people in the class.

I think i know other people who trained at your school : Andree, Sebastien and Derrek. I think they trained at your school but i'm not sure.

So Si hing serge is with us at the school, but Si hing max will probably open another Chanwu School in Montreal this summer, but not been confirmed. He needed a break after the school closed.

You trained at Si fu Hetu for long? You did any other type of martial art before? Bored of doing some shaolin kung fu?

I really appricied too that the fact there no ''war''.

Comment

I must admit that i always asked myself how they could provide so much class at a new school. At the academi he's been opened now for 10 years and at first he wasn't opened full time either.

More people in a class is alway better that's for sure. The energie level is better during those class.

Andree is now at chan wu? I always wondered where she had gone. Tell her I said hello and I do miss her! As for Sebastien and Derek, I'm not sure... maybe I know the faces, but not them persnally...

So from what I understant it's now Shi heng Serge all by himself for while? hope everything goes fine with all the projects!

I trained with Sifu hetu for about 2 years and a half. Before that I did some karate for 3 years. Right now I've got stuff in my life that takes my mind away from k-fu. Besides that I must admit that I'm getting a little bored with shaolin kung-fu. I miss some thing that I used to do in karate (not to say that it was superior, just that it was different). We train some san shou, but I must admit that I miss sanda a little bit. I'd like to practice more of my kick in pads and stuff like that ('cause my kick suck so much...). Also right now I just don't feel like being at the school, I like everyone, just not moving in a "k-fu maner"...

The "no war" stuff is cool because I'm sure you heard stuff on my school as I did on yours. It's fun that in the end we can just talk like adult.

Comment

Yes, it's sure the ernergy level is better with more people, no doubt about that.

The School on Boul Lessage close on december 23, and Si Hing Serge restarted to teach Kung fu January 15. So he just restarted. I Supposed to be at Kung fu this morning, but a twisted my foot so i can't go.. it's suck.

You got a good background:P I'm doing Kung Fu only for 10 month lol!

Yeah it's suck, those 2 school are in competition, and the 2 master saying that the other school is not good. But we don't have choice with that, they are in competition..

Comment

Hope you get well soon. It does suck when you're out on the sideline because of an injurie and you still want to participate... I know how you feel. I had trouble with my thyroid gland and I felt dizzy as crazy for a good while. Glad that everything is now under control.

Thanks you for the compliment, but I must admit that I really think I suck. I always see someone who as better technique of fluidity then I and it does drive me to practice more. It's just that right now I'm a little down, so training is really not on my mind.

One thing about both school, is that sifu hetu never said anything bad against youre school durin class. One of the thing that really sadened him(not sure of the word sorry...) is the way Serge and him had to split.

I must admit that I respect Serge on all of his atlehtic level, but I can't say I agree with the way he left. But that's no my business, I try to stay out of it... even if it is kinda hard. All the "politics" and stuff like that does get to me sometimes and I don't need that...

Comment

You should not think you suck. You know, Kung fu is Practice, practice and practice.

Ok, i thought Si fu mario hetu said some things bad about Chanwu school. But you know, Serge leaved the School cause he wanted to learn more, and he knew everything that Mario has to teach (i think that why he left).

I don't understand when you say ''the way he left'' cause i wasnt there at that moment. But you know, it's not of your business as you said before.

You said you maybe searching something else then kung fu.. have you tried to do some parkour? It's a melange of Martial art and gymnastic... but if you want to do more kick, forget that.

By the way, you got msn messenger?

Comment

Sure, I've got MSN, got any email were I could send it?

Comment

give me your email by private mesage, ill ad you to my msn... by the way, thank doc for the editing thing...

Comment

Working...
                              X